Canon confirms addition of Canon Log 3, Cinema RAW Light, lower bit rates and more for the EOS-1D X Mark III and EOS R5

It's really not all that funny of a joke to use some tiny symbol to indicate sarcasm that is easily missed. Discussing with people and deliberately trying to piss them off is an ego game and kinda petty. It is basically trolling for a laugh but with none of the style of Andy Kaufman. Sarcasm should be funny by being obvious.

That specific post is perhaps close to home because I think many of us are sick of people who are making serious statements like that like spoiled irrational children. It's all over the world in every topic and its lowering the quality of not just discourse but life.

So yea, sarcasm should be indicated clearly. Note: I have been guilty of this mistake myself, feeling my sarcasm is obvious when it was not.

But no matter how obvious you make it, some people won't realise.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
With this update, what I am the most curious about is wether or not the R5 will be able to compete with the A7SIII for video (and for me). I shoot 70% video, 30% stills.
Before this update, the advantages (for me) of the A7SIII were (in order of importance):

-Better Dynamic Range
-Less limitations
-Better low light

After the future update, we could assume that:

- the DR of the R5 will match the one of the A7SIII?
-The overheating issues (for me) will actually be a non issue. Already, with v1.1, I am happy with the current possibilities. I think the camera is now much more usable, even in 8K RAW.
-The low light will be better with the Sony, but I actually tested extensively the low light video on my R5 and I am quite blown away. I don't think I actually need that much more, and if I could choose between the extra low light of the Sony vs. the 45MP sensor for stills of the R5, the stills are a much better advantage (to me) than extra low light sensitivity.

That being said, it looks like the R5 could become the best camera available on the market both for Video and stills shooters (only if the DR equals the R5)...?
And if you add the soon to come RF cine line, it also is probably one of the best mount system to invest in for the long term future?

Am I right, am I wrong ? Am I off topic ? Can I finally stop having nightmare of me switching to Sony at night ?
This new (hopefully soon) firmware will give you Clog3. I'm waiting to see the new smaller form factor of C50/C70. The combination of R5/R6 and C50/C70 will be complete for budget indie filmmakers. Their 8K cameras will be introduce next year.

Upvote 0
Truth is we don't know.

I would be surprised if Canon hasn't already tested it quickly and they know the heat envelope is lower, otherwise would that not be putting gasoline on the fire again. Unless CRL was always on the plan, I am hoping this will lower the heat for 8K Raw and the storage to boot. I'm also hoping as per above, a lot of it is in Digic as HW routines which will cost less in terms of compute and heat.

Probably. I’ve had the R5 since 7/30 and have had zero overheating or temperature warning with my use (mostly 4K23.98, 4K120, and 8K timelapses). From version 1.0.0 onwards, these updates are just perks for me now. It was already a great camera for me to begin with.
Canon has never been shy to pour gasoline on cameras, aka. “Cripple”; soft 1080p, cropped 4K, 4K at 500mb/s that everyone complained about, mjpeg, no ibis, etc.

All I know is that Canon always work when I use them at home or in the field.

Yesterday, I had the R5 when visiting ravaged areas from Hurricane Laura. It was 99F and humid. There was no power in the entire region so, no businesses to find retreat from the heat. I was running with firmware 1.0.0...still no overheating issues or warnings.

Upvote 0
Probably. I’ve had the R5 since 7/30 and have had zero overheating or temperature warning with my use (mostly 4K23.98, 4K120, and 8K timelapses). From version 1.0.0 onwards, these updates are just perks for me now. It was already a great camera for me to begin with.
Canon has never been shy to pour gasoline on cameras, aka. “Cripple”; soft 1080p, cropped 4K, 4K at 500mb/s that everyone complained about, mjpeg, no ibis, etc.

All I know is that Canon always work when I use them at home or in the field.

Yesterday, I had the R5 when visiting ravaged areas from Hurricane Laura. It was 99F and humid. There was no power in the entire region so, no businesses to find retreat from the heat. I was running with firmware 1.0.0...still no overheating issues or warnings.
Wow that is good. Any reason why you haven't applied 1.1 ?

Upvote 0
You are completely correct but... The Canon press release from 13-March gave a different story for 5 months. I agree that Canon was upfront with the limitations in July before anyone could buy it so there was no deception.

Teasers definitely make it easier for expectations to rise higher than intended. Perhaps Canon underestimated how effective it would be...

You asked " Find me one material where they promised “UNLIMITED 8K recording”! 8K yes, unlimited? No. "

The quote above is not from me. :)

That said, I agree that the limitations weren't given attention* during those pre-launch months, and that contributed to the expectation build up that fueled so much of the angst. My estimation is that Canon wanted to make a splash by leading with what in all fairness is a mind-blowing feature -- one that even with the limitations was unheard of in this form factor and at this price. The R5 is arguably Canon's biggest launch in over a decade, and it needed to show -- especially during a pandemic.

"Achieve the impossible" was a poor phrase choice.

Let's keep in mind that that has been Canon's slogan for a few years now. I believe its first iteration was "See impossible," or something similar, around 2014.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own interpretation of it. Mine is that "achieving the impossible" is the ethos that drives Canon's engineering to continually advance its technology and one they invite us to adopt as we continue to advance our creative journey. Or, at least, that's the message I think they're trying to convey -- more of a long-term aspiration than a declaration of current capability (i.e. what was once impossible might one day become possible if we diligently strive for it).

For me, I have a R5 and love it and work within its limitations. New firmware is just icing on the cake for me both for v1.1 and the upcoming one.

I'm thrilled that the R5 is working well for you! Makes me anxious for when mine finally arrives!!

*From Canon, anyway; there was speculation from Matt Granger and a few others about the likelihood of severe limitation...

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
With this update, what I am the most curious about is wether or not the R5 will be able to compete with the A7SIII for video (and for me). I shoot 70% video, 30% stills.
Before this update, the advantages (for me) of the A7SIII were (in order of importance):

-Better Dynamic Range
-Less limitations
-Better low light

After the future update, we could assume that:

- the DR of the R5 will match the one of the A7SIII?
-The overheating issues (for me) will actually be a non issue. Already, with v1.1, I am happy with the current possibilities. I think the camera is now much more usable, even in 8K RAW.
-The low light will be better with the Sony, but I actually tested extensively the low light video on my R5 and I am quite blown away. I don't think I actually need that much more, and if I could choose between the extra low light of the Sony vs. the 45MP sensor for stills of the R5, the stills are a much better advantage (to me) than extra low light sensitivity.

That being said, it looks like the R5 could become the best camera available on the market both for Video and stills shooters (only if the DR equals the R5)...?
And if you add the soon to come RF cine line, it also is probably one of the best mount system to invest in for the long term future?

Am I right, am I wrong ? Am I off topic ? Can I finally stop having nightmare of me switching to Sony at night ?
I am not sure what do you mean by "be able to compete with A7SIII".
If you shoot photo, even 5%, the A7SIII is not something to consider. 12MP photo is not a photo in my eyes. Unless you consider a cell photo as a photo.
People are different in their needs and requirements so it is up to you. But if you ask my opinion, it is very harsh and it sounds like this: "shoot my wedding with a 12MP camera and I will sue you to court". If I feel that way, many bride's friends out there will suggest the same thing to their friend.
If your photo matters, don't think 12MP. If it doesn't, go for it. This is 2020, not 1987.
The A7SIII is a great 120fp camera. If that is very, very, important to you, do not even blink and go for it.
For everything else, the R5 is a much better camera. You will have to take a time to learn how to use it. And I mean it, take the time to see all the possible options without listening to Youtube and decide for yourself what is acceptable and what is not.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I am not sure what do you mean by "be able to compete with A7SIII".
If you shoot photo, even 5%, the A7SIII is not something to consider. 12MP photo is not a photo in my eyes. Unless you consider a cell photo as a photo.
People are different in their needs and requirements so it is up to you. But if you ask my opinion, it is very harsh and it sounds like this: "shoot my wedding with a 12MP camera and I will sue you to court". If I feel that way, many bride's friends out there will suggest the same thing to their friend.
If your photo matters, don't think 12MP. If it doesn't, go for it. This is 2020, not 1987.
The A7SIII is a great 120fp camera. If that is very, very, important to you, do not even blink and go for it.
For everything else, the R5 is a much better camera. You will have to take a time to learn how to use it. And I mean it, take the time to see all the possible options without listening to Youtube and decide for yourself what is acceptable and what is not.
Thanks for your answer but I think you missed my point. I wrote “able to to compete FOR VIDEO” and you answered was centered around photos.
I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on the video side of things though. I only need 4K24HQ, and occasionally 8K Raw.
I don’t shoot slow mo.
Also, for your perfect information, I’ve been using the R5 for one month intensely. Never had an overheating issue. Been loving it. I don’t need YouTube to tel me what to do, in theory.
I say in theory, because based on YouTube reviews, I’m wondering if the image quality FOR VIDEO of the a7siii might not be superior to the r5. hence my questions about DR with clog 3 !
And just for context, if I mentioned photos it’s because I thought that if the r5 was equal of better than the a7s3 for video, it would be a plus side to also have a great photo camera too ! But my main focus and my priority is video. When I want to take photos, usually, nothing beats my Leica M10p!
Looking forward to hearing back from you
Ps. If you want to check out how I use my camera you can check my Instagram: stev

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
Thanks for your answer but I think you missed my point. I wrote “able to to compete FOR VIDEO” and you answered was centered around photos.
I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on the video side of things though. I only need 4K24HQ, and occasionally 8K Raw.
I don’t shoot slow mo.
Also, for your perfect information, I’ve been using the R5 for one month intensely. Never had an overheating issue. Been loving it. I don’t need YouTube to tel me what to do, in theory.
I say in theory, because based on YouTube reviews, I’m wondering if the image quality FOR VIDEO of the a7siii might not be superior to the r5. hence my questions about DR with clog 3 !
And just for context, if I mentioned photos it’s because I thought that if the r5 was equal of better than the a7s3 for video, it would be a plus side to also have a great photo camera too ! But my main focus and my priority is video. When I want to take photos, usually, nothing beats my Leica M10p!
Ps. If you want to check out how I use my camera you can check my Instagram: stev
Are you in a hurry to return your R5 and get the A7S3? Or needs to get rid of EF/RF lens soon?
If not, then wait a bit, borrow the A7S3 from a friend when it's released and test/compare the two, then decide which one to keep.
I'm staying for the RF mount. Hoping to get an C300iii/C500ii RF equivalent in the future. Might have to wait awhile for it, because the EF C300iii/C500ii just came out this year, and the RF C50/C70 has a smaller form.

Upvote 0
Are you in a hurry to return your R5 and get the A7S3? Or needs to get rid of EF/RF lens soon?
If not, then wait a bit, borrow the A7S3 from a friend when it's released and test/compare the two, then decide which one to keep.
I'm staying for the RF mount. Hoping to get an C300iii/C500ii RF equivalent in the future. Might have to wait awhile for it, because the EF C300iii/C500ii just came out this year, and the RF C50/C70 has a smaller form.

Sounds like a sound and reasonable advice, but I suffer from a disease that forces me to get all new gear of the first day it comes out, if not I fall into a depression

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
Sounds like a sound and reasonable advice, but I suffer from a disease that forces me to get all new gear of the first day it comes out, if not I fall into a depression
Are you in lockdown? I'm in the only state in Australia that is in lockdown. Can't leave home more than 5km, and only for food, 8pm Curfew!!!
I'm bored as hell, but the AUS exchange rate is a killer, so I can't buy anything as of now, got to wait for discount.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I don’t shoot slow mo.
OK, that explains a lot.
I have never used a Clog3 before so I cannot tell for sure. Like many, I am anxious to have it with the 8K cinema raw light. I have heard good thing about the C200 from my friends and they suggested me to consider that option once it is offered on the R5.
I have had overheating on mine on the 4K HQ using the version 1.0. I haven't used it long enough to see with the new version. I upgraded mine two nights ago.
I have tested the 4K120 and very happy with it. I was able to shoot 100GB before the warning. It depends, of course, on the way you use the camera.
For the sake of safety, I bought a 2T SSD with Ninja V. That is because I shoot mainly concerts and they last 2-3 hours. Even my old 1DX II cannot handle that long. It doesn't have alarm capability, but it is warm to the touch and I don't want to take a chance.
Back to competition, I do not see a need to consider competition at 4K 30p level. Both deliver great quality. I do not own the Sony so I cannot make a direct comparison. I would consider the Sony to be superior to the R5 only, and only with 120fps. As far as 4K 30 concerned, the R5 gives you a lot more possibilities. Do you need them? It is up to you. You can have 4K standard, 4K crop (my favorite) and 4K HQ. The main difference is that the canon 4K crop is a downsampled from 5K and allows me to shoot with a 1.6 extender in camera. For concert shooter like me, that is a very big plus. The quality is right in par with the 4K HQ so I decided to scratch the HQ, unless I have to shoot in crowd and will need a full frame view. That is very rare. Most of the time, I shoot from the back of the room. I use the full frame only during breaks, interviewing fans.
Let me know of your opinion, when you find out more about the Clog 3. For me, it is a plus, and may have an impact with my workflow. I often shoot concert under colored light. Color precision becomes important (main reason I was attracted by the 8K in the first place). I haven't had a chance (due to covid) to test R5 under these conditions yet, but if cinema raw is here, I will seriously consider it, even if it gives me just 30min of shooting. 8K cinema raw light should work wonders under blue/red/green light. Let's see.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
It's really not all that funny of a joke to use some tiny symbol to indicate sarcasm that is easily missed. Discussing with people and deliberately trying to piss them off is an ego game and kinda petty. It is basically trolling for a laugh but with none of the style of Andy Kaufman. Sarcasm should be funny by being obvious.

That specific post is perhaps close to home because I think many of us are sick of people who are making serious statements like that like spoiled irrational children. It's all over the world in every topic and its lowering the quality of not just discourse but life.

So yea, sarcasm should be indicated clearly. Note: I have been guilty of this mistake myself, feeling my sarcasm is obvious when it was not.

Was not my post, just pointing out there was a clear mark for sarcasm (which most leave out). I found it amusing, but people get worked up over

it is a good reminder people are too worked up on this on both sides and maybe its a good idea to step back and use bit less emotion.

again it wasn't my post, but I felt it was obviously over the top and the person did put a /s at the bottom which is better than most who post sarcasm/satire.

that it triggered so many and hit so close to home is telling. I still think the video stuff is overblown and both sides really need to just move forward, the drama only continues because people keep feeding it. Its better to acknowledge it, laugh some and move on. Now get some stock please! the R5 sounds fantastic.

Upvote 0