Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C70

At end of the day we all got great tools to use. Im really excited to see canons c70. It is 100% there response to Komodo and a few yrs ago I dont see Canon doing this. The c300iii just dropped but at $12k there camera solutions not in that price range. Bravo for Canon doing a $6k cine camera with no raw. Canons pro xf avc I 10bitv422 is as good as it gets. And the s35 Dgo 16stops is amazing. This will be a top seller with AF. This is Canon cine line reinvented.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Another factor with the Ninja is you bypass Canon's stupid 30 minute internal record timer. Hopefully they disable that in an update.

One downside with the R5 and the Ninja, however, is the damn micro HDMI port. I've already broken two cables just with regular usage. Why Canon didn't include a full-sized HDMI is beyond me.
My R6 arrives tomorrow. The Micro HDMI absolutely pisses me off. That is my only complaint with this camera. Mini HDMIs have been on Canon bodies up until now... Now another step down to Micro. I am so fearful that ordered 3 Micro cables. Another reason I will probably always have the R6 in a cage with a cable mount. I really really really really HATE that Canon did this.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
My R6 arrives tomorrow. The Micro HDMI absolutely pisses me off. That is my only complaint with this camera. Mini HDMIs have been on Canon bodies up until now... Now another step down to Micro. I am so fearful that ordered 3 Micro cables. Another reason I will probably always have the R6 in a cage with a cable mount. I really really really really HATE that Canon did this.
I feel for canon R5 users tbh. The way canon hyped this camera up It was best thing since sliced bread. 2x stats not disclosed during all the hype. #1 DR canon knows how to test dr and when its amazing they surely tell ppl and brag. The c300iii did 16+ and it was marketed everywhere. The other one is R5 and the codecs. No pro line h264 was telling to me. I never thought sony would fo it. Truth is h265 is not backed by cpus yet. Power to edit not there. U need proxies.

As for R5 and ninja to get 4k prores kinda a workaround. With Sony a7siii you use ninja to get 16bit raw linear = 12bit log raw. If it good enough for Arri its good enough for me. Sony using pro fx9 codec is bc of R5 specs. Who says competition ain't good.

If I owned R5 I'd be on them for h264 pro codec!!

Upvote 0
Also I knew 8k was always a marketing gimmick. Its indistinguishable. 8k bs 4k. I could show u 4k that looks better than 8k. Has all to do with DR. The wedding video and matti hapajja comparison really showed R5 DR limitations. Plus not enough considering overheating. For stills its solid camera but I would Not use it at a wedding. If u need 42mp get A7riii. For half cost and no overheating issues. But rf glass is nice and pricey. That eos c70 is gonna sale like hot cakes.

All the buyers waiting 4 komodo are gonna see the dgo 16 + stops s35 w 4k120 and xlr and nd and working AF and pro xf avc I is easy to edit on any cpu! Wow. Im shocked Canon ate into c300iii this soon. C300iii was in trouble bc A7siii does 4k120 ff at 1/4 cost but its a full cine camera.

This eos c70 im gonna consider for my EF SLR Magic APOs . Also will gimme reason to buy rf glass. I'm so heavily invested in GM glass too but love my APOs. Can't wait to test them tbh. Just got em. I used 1x with borrowed camera. But eos c70 I want 1x. $6k... all day long take my $$ now. That sensor is Arri like!

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Also I knew 8k was always a marketing gimmick. Its indistinguishable. 8k bs 4k. I could show u 4k that looks better than 8k. Has all to do with DR. The wedding video and matti hapajja comparison really showed R5 DR limitations. Plus not enough considering overheating. For stills its solid camera but I would Not use it at a wedding. If u need 42mp get A7riii. For half cost and no overheating issues. But rf glass is nice and pricey. That eos c70 is gonna sale like hot cakes.

All the buyers waiting 4 komodo are gonna see the dgo 16 + stops s35 w 4k120 and xlr and nd and working AF and pro xf avc I is easy to edit on any cpu! Wow. Im shocked Canon ate into c300iii this soon. C300iii was in trouble bc A7siii does 4k120 ff at 1/4 cost but its a full cine camera.

This eos c70 im gonna consider for my EF SLR Magic APOs . Also will gimme reason to buy rf glass. I'm so heavily invested in GM glass too but love my APOs. Can't wait to test them tbh. Just got em. I used 1x with borrowed camera. But eos c70 I want 1x. $6k... all day long take my $$ now. That sensor is Arri like!
I have a healthy array of stills cameras. I'm looking for the R6 for video strictly and now in tandem with a C70

Upvote 0
heeeey . . . that's my birthday! you don't think I can get it as a BD present, do you?
If your wife let's you..

Basically got 2x options.. buy it and don't tell her..
(She will find out but fight later is still worth it)

Option 2...

You let her buy something of equivalent value 1st.. then a few days later u say.. remember when u wanted xxx.. and I said ok... well I want this.. c70..

Gluck.. lmk what option u choose.. lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have a healthy array of stills cameras. I'm looking for the R6 for video strictly and now in tandem with a C70
I feel for all canon buyers who bought r5 and got swept up in the hype. It was hard not too tbh. I even almost broke my 2x important rules on buying. Dr and codecs... but at least canon did a kinda increase for R5 but still I don't think its good enough. And the sensor isn't the pro cine dgo sensor the c70 is.. Canon always were behind sony in sensor tech. Sony does BSI and stacked. Really high tech stuff. I dont think canon is quite there. But they really optimize what they do got and that new DGO is amazing. I pulled keys on test footage. Plain avc I xf h264. It was like butter. That codec and uts bitrate is top notch and the log data. The shadows were cleanest shadows I seen. I think when c70 drop alot of R5 video shooters will be selling theres on ebay. Canon is not going to give you unlimited record timed and the sensors DR cant be fixed via firmware.

If you are video first shooter wait for c70.

U got to applaud canon for making this move. A few yrs ago they wouldn't do this move bc it eats into c300iii. Just look at c500ii. Basically was the $30k c700.. at half price. W raw light.

I love how it's interchangeable units. And I'm guessing pl and ef mount adapters will be included. The RF mount flange gives limitless possibilities.

Upvote 0
I feel for all canon buyers who bought r5 and got swept up in the hype. It was hard not too tbh. I even almost broke my 2x important rules on buying. Dr and codecs... but at least canon did a kinda increase for R5 but still I don't think its good enough. And the sensor isn't the pro cine dgo sensor the c70 is.. Canon always were behind sony in sensor tech. Sony does BSI and stacked. Really high tech stuff. I dont think canon is quite there. But they really optimize what they do got and that new DGO is amazing. I pulled keys on test footage. Plain avc I xf h264. It was like butter. That codec and uts bitrate is top notch and the log data. The shadows were cleanest shadows I seen. I think when c70 drop alot of R5 video shooters will be selling theres on ebay. Canon is not going to give you unlimited record timed and the sensors DR cant be fixed via firmware.

U got to applaud canon for making this move. A few yrs ago they wouldn't do this move bc it eats into c300iii. Just look at c500ii. Basically was the $30k c700.. at half price. W raw light.

I love how it's interchangeable units. And I'm guessing pl and ef mount adapters will be included. The RF mount flange gives limitless possibilities.
Don’t cry for me.
R5 and loving it!

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020

Canon has a huge gap of $2-6k cinema cameras. People are buying their first cameras in this range for Cinema. RED, Blackmagic, Sony, Panasonic, are all putting out impressive offerings for consumers. Canon needs something to capture that audience.

The crazy thought is, what is Canon going to strip out of one of the more expensive cameras to justify its existence.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia

you under the assumption that everyone is buying the R5 for video and using it just for video or something. I am pretty sure with all the news a lot of people that are pure video users are holding off on the camera. it is also sold out everywhere so they have time to think over what they really want when it is is in stock.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
This is a S35 sensor Cine Camera..this is Not a Photograph camera.

This is a Pro Body. It'll have 16stops DR where as R5 is 14 stops. About 12 usable with clog.

As for competition this is Komodo competition more than anything else. Built in ND filters komodo dont have.

DGO S35 sensor is amazing IQ.

This will use canons pro codec 10bit xavc intra.. this codec is NOT on the R5.

Big difference bt R5 and A7siii is Sony put Fx9 cine codec h264 xavc intra into the A7siii.

Canon only used h265 codec. Sony uses h265 to9 but offers pro codec for easy editing.

This will have pro xlr inputs.. has internal nDs and pro cine body. No overheating. No record limits and AF that woks. Dual puxel AF. Where red has no aF yet for rf glass. Let alone communication.

Takes years and millions of developing an AF system. Unless u steal it by hackng. Or reverse hack software. Takes years to develop. PDAF will take millions in development. Canon recently got hacked hopefully no sensitive AF info was stolen.

----

"......Takes years and millions of developing an AF system. Unless u steal it by hackng. Or reverse hack software. Takes years to develop. PDAF will take millions in development. Canon recently got hacked hopefully no sensitive AF info was stolen. ......"

---

NO! It does NOT take that much time to create an autofocus system! It took me barely THREE weeks to create a 2D-XY AND 3D-XYZ SOBEL Edge detector which runs a pixel to line/curve vector conversion process which THEN compares the lines and curves to a database of over 200,000 common objects, persons, animals, vessels, vehicles, aerospace systems, weapons systems, buildings, structures and terrain.

To autofocus using edge-detection only, you determine the amount of natural softness (i.e. aliasing) on neighbouring pixels of any detected line and curve and THEN convert that to a percentage-based value of the width and height of the current sensor in pixels/photosites AND in millimeters which allows me to take into account the likely refraction and diffraction of specific light rays coming into a sensor based upon KNOWN characteristics of a given single lens element and all in-series of lens elements, which then allows me to calculate 3D-XYZ light vectors (i.e. ray-tracing) which THEN allows me to calculate distance, orientation and motion of any object.

I send the differences in position, orientation and motion from previous frames as a signal to peizoelectric motors (or in our case, MASSIVE hydraulic systems!) to move a lens assembly in mere milliseconds!

In our parent company's case, I'm imaging very fast moving objects in real-time using a multi-spectral system consisting of four Optical-band and IR/UV cameras and four RADAR/LIDAR imagers each running at 4096 by 2160 pixels (64-bit RGBA) at 10,000 frames per second, so my latency is only three frames to figure out current and estimated position, orientation and motion of ANY object. (we can detect, recognize, track and target 65,000+ different moving objects PER SECOND!)

I then send motor control signals to a large combined electro-hydraulic system which can move a multi-tonne railgun within less than twenty milliseconds to any 3D-XYZ position I so desire for accurate targeting and fire control against any incoming projectile with a velocity up to 160,000 kmh (100,000 mph). (i.e. for MIRVed ICBM and Hypersonic cruise missile defence!)

Canon does something similar but at much slower frame rates and using piezoelectric motors to move a much smaller lens assembly. Autofocus is NO BIG DEAL these days because of 2D-XY SOBEL edge detection. Like I said, it took me barely three weeks to code it and test it!

Autofocus is TRIVIAL these days when you use a proper edge detector on a modern Qualcomm 845 series ARM or better or any AMD RYZEN-3/5/7/9 cpu. These CPUs are so fast these days that I could easily do 120 fps edge detection AND face/eye recognition for most cameras in real time with only one to three frames latency depending upon the processor.

The lower-horsepower DIGIC 8 and above ARM-based CPU's on most modern Canon cameras can EASILY do 30 fps up to 60 fps in DCI 4K real time with the right type of microcoding (i.e. using pure hand-coded assembler). Doing full autofocus at 120 fps is a tad hard using just edge detection BUT it could be refined over time to eventually get there.

SO again, NO! it does NOT take YEARS and millions of dollars to create an autofocus system! ANY competent graphics programmer can do it in mere weeks or maybe three months if they're inexperienced. The ONLY issue is getting the refraction/diffraction and lens position data of ALL lens elements in a typical lens assembly which gets put into a lookup table by the programmer to allow them to determine 2D-XY and 3D-XYZ angles and distance or incoming light rays. SOMEONE has to figure all that out and it ain't the programmer but rather the optical engineer who will be making those spreadsheets of numbers that get converted to a lookup table array.

With Canon, it use multiple photosites to determine minute changes in luminance and chroma between neighbouring photosites which lets the DPAF system INFER changes in orientation, angle and velocity of an object. A faster and simpler edge detector is used to find face and eyes (i.e. PROBABLY the CANNY edge detector) on any ARM-based Canon DIGIC-6 and above procesor.

Canny Edge Detector:

SOBEL operators: (i.e. combined for 2D_XY and 3D-XYZ edge detection)

Since I have access to much higher end processors than even Intel, AMD and IBM (i.e. we make our own 575 TeraFLOP GaAs combined CPU/GPU/DSP processors), I can run a FULL 2D-XY and 3D-XYZ SOBEL edge detector system on any incoming imagery AND run it at up to 10,000 fps for the ULTIMATE in accuracy!

That said, ANY modern AMD Ryzen 3/5/7/9 and Intel iCore-5/7 and Qualcomm 845 series or better CPU can run TRULY ACCURATE face and eye detection at 60 fps to 120 fps DCI 4K video using just SOBEL edge detectors.

V

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To each their own. I lean heavily towards the photography side of things and only occasionally use my camera for video, but I replaced my A7R IV with an R5 and couldn't be happier about it. In my opinion, all of the talk of overheating has distracted from the fact that the R5 is far and away the best camera on the market for stills.

No doubt it is. Even though the a7riv is an extremely capable stills camera.
But as far as I'm concerned, I'm 80% video, so the R5 has been a huge disappointment, and it's not even because of overheating, cause mine hasn't overheated on me yet, although it did threaten me too....

Upvote 0

What about the a7siii? Do you consider it to be Arri like too? or is the sensor of the c70 way better ? I am asking because of Gerald 's undone to change his order of the c300 t get the a7s3 instead

Upvote 0
I actually have some Sony equipment and absolutely love the 24mm GM. Haven't decided on A7siii yet but I just might. Are you not considering this C70 or do you need FF/Hybrid?

I am considering the c70 ! But reading most of the comments, and after seeing Gerald's a7sii video when he compares it to the c300mkii, it seems to me that in terms of image quality, the c70 will not necessarily beat the a7siii.
If that's the case, the only advantage of the c70 will be the cinema body and what comes whith it. For me, that's something I don't need and id rather a smaller form factor than extra ports and vents....

I'm still struggling to find out info on which sensor will produce a nicer image though. That DGO canon sensor, or the 12MP BSI in the Sony ?

Upvote 0
I still think Canon has an uphill battle in this segment. They have fared relatively poorly in this space starting many quarters ago and are under intense pressure by Blackmagic and Kinefinity who offer way more for way less. I think for Canon, at least in the past, the main thing they bring is DPAF and its huge collection of EF glass. If the C70 lists at $6299, that is a lot of coin when it doesn't have RAW and tops out at 4K even if it has DGO. Nowadays, even RED has started to offer PDAF on its Komodo. I got mine a few weeks ago and while it is still in BETA, I don't think it will EVER get close to Canon's AF implementation. At the same time I also don't need the level of AF I need while shooting on a hybrid system. In exchange, it has 6K, R3D/PRORES and GS which alone stand out on its own. I wonder if the C70 and Komodo were somewhat developed in tandem as they share the same battery system and were designed to cater to two separate types of shooters; C70 for the hybrid groups shooting more ENG/EFP and the Komodo for the hybrid groups shooting more narrative work. Time will tell how successful either company is at reaching a new audience.

The one thing we know for sure is that neither will overheat... :p :p :p At least for the Komodo, A crew took the Komodo in the desert shooting a post-apocalyptic short and while the external monitor overheated, the tilta nucleus overheated and quit and the CFast cards burned the AC's fingers, the camera kept going.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Why? I don't remember Canon itself positioning R6 as a video camera.
Oversampled 1:1 4k full Frame readout With 10bit Log 422 out up to 60fps. Perfect compact, basic video body capable of admirably Filming 90% of the things Id use it for which are primarily regular 24p standard speed frame rates. Will
Compliment a cinema cam nicely

Upvote 0

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
Oversampled 1:1 4k full Frame readout With 10bit Log 422 out up to 60fps. Perfect compact, basic video body capable of admirably Filming 90% of the things Id use it for which are primarily regular 24p standard speed frame rates. Will
Compliment a cinema cam nicely

I really want the R6 but two things are really stopping me from pulling the trigger.

1)No dual slot recording.

2)Micro HDMI

Why put in two slots, if you cant even use them?!
Is this coming in a firmware update or what?!

Upvote 0