The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Altough I do have EOS R and 4 lenses the first camera I wish for is 5D5 and the second 5DsRII. I know the later will not happen so I sold my 5DsR and got a … new one! EOS R5 can wait. No rush!

Surprised that there really people sold the camera and bought the same model new, this make me curious how good the 5DSR is aside from high MP.

Cheers

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Surprised that there really people sold the camera and bought the same model new, this make me curious how good the 5DSR is aside from high MP.

Cheers
Yes! Actually I bought first a second 5DsR and a few months later sold the 1st one to get a Nikon 500mm 5.6PF for less.
I do like it a lot. It is my goto excursion camera that can get a 100-400 a 400DOII or a 500II equally good.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
We think it makes a lot of sense to see another iteration of the EOS 5D DSLR, along with a similarly specced EOS R Mark II.
Would love to see a last 5DV with proper 4k.
Doubt we will see a EOS R Mark II. Is there still a place between the RP (II) and R6? You cannot place it between the R6 and R5 since it has only one sd card slot and a stupid touch bar instead of a joystick.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Would love to see a last 5DV with proper 4k.
Doubt we will see a EOS R Mark II. Is there still a place between the RP (II) and R6? You cannot place it between the R6 and R5 since it has only one sd card slot and a stupid touch bar instead of a joystick.

Why would a hypothetical R2 retain the touch bar or a single card slot? But agreed that it wouldn’t really fit anywhere in the lineup.

Upvote 0
The EOS 5D Mark V apparently appeared on an internal roadmap, along with an EOS R Mark II, the source did not provide the timeline of the roadmap.

We think it makes a lot of sense to see another iteration of the EOS 5D DSLR, along with a similarly specced EOS R Mark II.

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox
I hope so with all the new EF glass still available and especially the specialty lenses like super telephotos and tilt shift lenses, I think there is still a lot of life left for a new high end DSLR from Canon. It will take some time for Canon to round out the RF glass line up.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The EOS 5D Mark V apparently appeared on an internal roadmap
the source did not provide the timeline of the roadmap.
Thanks for sharing that info.

Questions are,
  1. how old that info is and
  2. if that roadmap is already outdated.
I'd still love to see a 5D5 but it seems that Craig has other information than your source.
And he decided to rate that information as [CR2] ("good information from a known source").

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I’m not surprised. I’ve never bought the DSLRs are dead hype.
Let me ask you: apart from (arguably) superior battery life and a very limited OVF advantage, what are other 5D5 qualities that may steer 5D4 owners clear from joining the R5 revolution?
EF lenses evidently work better on RF mount cameras. A genuine question.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Let me ask you: apart from ... a very limited OVF advantage,
Genuine Questions:
Have you ever shot sports, BIF and/or dragonflies in flight?
Have you ever tried out a Canon EVF?

I did both, though not the EVF of the R5 as I have no access to one yet. I am eagerly waiting for that.
But with EVFs I know (from Oly, Sony, the R or the RP) I wouldn't call the difference in time lag and refresh rate "very limited".
I honestly call it "essential", especially if I would own my money with that pics.

That keeps me from joining and still hoping for a 5D5.
Maybe the EVF from the R5 is so very much better but that needs to be proven.
And then I would need the money to spend.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
+++ Have you ever tried out a Canon EVF?. did both, though not the EVF of the R5 as I have no access to one yet. I am eagerly waiting for that.

A.M.: I agree with you. The R EVF sucks for a fast action / tracking type of shooting . R5 EVF is though improved to the point where viewfinder latency is no longer an issue. Yes, there is an overwhelming evidence exist that R5 EVF is well suited for a fast action shooting.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
R5 EVF is though improved to the point where viewfinder latency is no longer an issue. Yes, there is an overwhelming evidence exist that R5 EVF is well suited for a fast action shooting.
Thanks for that info.

I am hoping for something like that and that you are right, but please understand that I want to try that out first before I give my opinion on that.
Still there is nothing faster than light, as far as we know (apart from some strange effects in nuclear physics).

I see a lot of advantages in the R5, esp. the much more versatile and faster AF (yet to be seen, what an 5D5 could offer here).
So you see I am quite open minded but first of all the VF has to be fast enough.
And not too much battery consuming, but that's not so much my concern. As a hobbyist I can take my time for swapping batteries.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
+++
Thanks for that info.

I am hoping for something like that and that you are right, but please understand that I want to try that out first before I give my opinion on that.
Still there is nothing faster than light, as far as we know (apart from some strange effects in nuclar physics).

I see a lot of advantages in the R5, esp. the much more versatile and faster AF (yet to be seen, what an 5D5 could offer here).
So you see I am quite open minded but first of all the VF has to be fast enough.
And not too much battery consuming, but that's not so much my concern. As a hobbyist I can take my time for swapping batteries.
++++ As a hobbyist I can take my time for swapping batteries.

A.M. exactly my point. One may argue that swapping batteries every couple of hours may be uncomfortable. sure. To what degree though.
it takes me 5 seconds only to swap batteries in my 5D4s. Hence, personally, I do not see this being an issue.The only issue that stops me from an immediate2 x 5D4 to 2x R5 transition is: R5 retail price in Australia :)
5D5? I do not see this being a strong upgrade proposition for me anymore.

Upvote 0
+++

++++ As a hobbyist I can take my time for swapping batteries.

A.M. exactly my point. One may argue that swapping batteries every couple of hours may be uncomfortable. sure. To what degree though.
it takes me 5 seconds only to swap batteries in my 5D4s. Hence, personally, I do not see this being an issue.The only issue that stops me from an immediate2 x 5D4 to 2x R5 transition is: R5 retail price in Australia :)
Right, and would 5D5 be less expensive if it came to fruition? Probably not.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The only issue that stops me from an immediate2 x 5D4 to 2x R5 transition is: R5 retail price in Australia :)
I have two reasons not to swap - apart from the open EVF question:
  1. Retail price (and that thrice):
    I as a hobbyist cannot justify any body beeing that expensive.
    (so would be the 5D5, too, I suppose)
  2. Availability:
    Here in Germany nobody gives you a promise of delivery before mid of October, but that's change over time.
    But this also means I won't get my hands on any R5 soon.

Right, and would 5D5 be less expensive if it came to fruition? Probably not.
Correct.
But depending on features it could be.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.