Canon unveils the PowerShot Zoom

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
One of Canon’s concept cameras from a year or so ago looks like it’s going to hit consumers hands in the near future, but only in Japan for now.
Canon is crowdfunding this new concept on Makuake, a Japanese version of Kickstarter.
Canon PowerShot Zoom specifications

12.1mp 1/3″ CMOS
10fps
ISO 100-3200
100-400mm f/5.6-6.3 IS
800mm digital zoom
1080p at 24fps
Face recognition AF
Optical Image Stabilization
microSDXC card slot
USB-C
Weight: 144g (0.3lbs)
Price: Around $300 USD.

It’ll be interesting to see how many of these end up on ebay for the rest of the world. I would love to try one out.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I see what they are going for there....could be interesting. Looks like it records as you view, and then you can take screen caps.

I'm curious too...only available in Japan, but the ads contain a lot of Caucasians and scenes from around the world. I'd be interested to understand the psychology and sociology behind that.

-Brian

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
If it has seamless integration with Android and iOS, this could be a pretty big deal. It looks interesting to me, but I wouldn't spend my camera money on it. Meaning it needs to be under $500 and then my wife might want us to get one after half of our friends have it.

EDIT: I watched the video before noticing the specs. Seems well-priced for 1080p and has a healthy upgrade path open to it if it catches on.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Interesting concept, but wow...I just have problems imagining getting "that" excited about soccer games.
I've tried watching them, but ugh...boring.
You often seem to go MOST of the game time with no scoring...games can end in a tie??
And for some reason, the time of the time seems rather arbitrary....the games over...OOPS, nope, for some unexplained reason we're going to add what seems to be random amounts of time left to keep playing.

That last one I saw the first time I got remotely interested in it when the US got in there for one of the big tournaments for the first time, and it appeared they won...then for reasons no one could explain on the air when listening to it, they kept adding time till the US lost.

Anyway....I will put it at least one rung ahead of cricket as far as excitement and watchability....

Oh well, the rest of the world seems to like it, but I just don't get it.

I'm guessing this camera is being put out first in some part of the world that like soccer?

C

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Look like a good "always with you" birding camera.
I think that heavily depends on the alternatives you have. The emphasis is more in the 'always' than the 'good' here I think. With such a small sensor, you're getting 5.8 stops less light than FF. And those dimensions don't give me the impression that the f/number is eye watering high to begin with.

But it certainly is world's ahead of smartphone quality. Attached is a picture of a wild rabbit taken with a Google Pixel 3a from a moderate distance at full digital zoom. Taken more for testing purposes than with the intent to get an actual keeper out of it. So if that's the alternative, this device is a gigantic upgrade.

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_210858.jpg
    IMG_20200628_210858.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 548
Upvote 0
Interesting concept, but wow...I just have problems imagining getting "that" excited about soccer games.
I've tried watching them, but ugh...boring.
You often seem to go MOST of the game time with no scoring...games can end in a tie??
And for some reason, the time of the time seems rather arbitrary....the games over...OOPS, nope, for some unexplained reason we're going to add what seems to be random amounts of time left to keep playing.

That last one I saw the first time I got remotely interested in it when the US got in there for one of the big tournaments for the first time, and it appeared they won...then for reasons no one could explain on the air when listening to it, they kept adding time till the US lost.

Anyway....I will put it at least one rung ahead of cricket as far as excitement and watchability....

Oh well, the rest of the world seems to like it, but I just don't get it.

I'm guessing this camera is being put out first in some part of the world that like soccer?

C
Yes, it's probably made for the part of the world that likes the two most popular sports in the world: football (the real kind, played with the feet and a roundball), and cricket. That would be pretty much the whole world, except the US. I used to think you had to grow up with it to like cricket (like Marmite), but my wife, who is American, loves it too, so I suppose it's just a matter of having the patience, and the intellectual ability, to appreciate the sporting equivalent of chess. When people used to ask me to decribe cricket to them, I would say that it's the grown-up version of baseball, but that really gives baseball too much credit.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
Yes, it's probably made for the part of the world that likes the two most popular sports in the world: football (the real kind, played with the feet and a roundball), and cricket. That would be pretty much the whole world, except the US. I used to think you had to grow up with it to like cricket (like Marmite), but my wife, who is American, loves it too, so I suppose it's just a matter of having the patience, and the intellectual ability, to appreciate the sporting equivalent of chess. When people used to ask me to decribe cricket to them, I would say that it's the grown-up version of baseball, but that really gives baseball too much credit.

LOL. Imagine, living a life where you believe watching other people do stuff has any relation to your own intelligence! AND, that it only applies if you watch other people doing a specific version of hitting a ball with a bat. Please, do tell us what color underwear we must be wearing to maximize our intellectual capabilities?

• Haha
Upvote 0