Future Canon Camera Viewfinders: Rangefinder or Centered (DSLR) style?

Future Canon Camera Viewfinders: Rangefinder or Centered (DSLR) style ?

• Rangefinder Style Viewfinder

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just use the back of the camera

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
There's the sensor AND the back screen. Of course you COULD make the back screen smaller, but since they like to brag about the back screen's size and resolution I doubt they'd want to do that. They'd probably rather just make the whole camera as tall as the hump is now!

I guess there are those out there that consider a back screen more important that a quality, well place viewfinder.....

I rarely use mine...nice to have on the occasion you need to chimp....but I find I need that less and less as the years go on....

C

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I guess there are those out there that consider a back screen more important that a quality, well place viewfinder.....

I rarely use mine...nice to have on the occasion you need to chimp....but I find I need that less and less as the years go on....

C

So what you're actually hoping for is no back screen AND a viewfinder on the left (upper left or actually on the left side of the body, or actually within the rectangular outline, I'm not sure about). Regardless of the merits, I don't see them ditching that back screen. Too many people use it. I used it the other day, in fact, trying to take a picture of Mars, because the camera was pointed upwards 60 degrees on a tripod shorter than I am. That made the flip-out feature extremely useful. (But the pictures still sucked.)

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
I use the view finder of my M50 about 90% of the time. The back screen is hard to use in bright sun light. The only time I will use the back screen is when I need to do over head shot or ground level shot. Technically, I should use it for waist level shot (just like using the Rollieflex or Hasselblad). But the screen is too had to see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
So what you're actually hoping for is no back screen AND a viewfinder on the left (upper left or actually on the left side of the body, or actually within the rectangular outline, I'm not sure about). Regardless of the merits, I don't see them ditching that back screen. Too many people use it. I used it the other day, in fact, trying to take a picture of Mars, because the camera was pointed upwards 60 degrees on a tripod shorter than I am. That made the flip-out feature extremely useful. (But the pictures still sucked.)

Oh no, I don't see ditching the rear screen.
I was thinking more along the lines where someone said that to have a centered viewfinder, with no hump...you'd likely need a smaller rear screen.

I was thinking that would be acceptable to me, since I don't use it THAT much...although I do use it some.

C

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Looks like the RP is trying to make a compromise to please both the "Range finder style" and the "DSLR style " crowd. The hump is only about 1/4 in and the view finder window is off center to the left.

I guess I'll find out about that, then, when my RF 24-105 f/4 L arrives with the RP accessory.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Looks like the RP is trying to make a compromise to please both the "Range finder style" and the "DSLR style " crowd. The hump is only about 1/4 in and the view finder window is off center to the left.

Are you sure it's off center? On my RP it seems to be visually aligned with the center of the mount. I haven't measured it, but I would be surprised if it's off more than a millimeter.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'd prefer the EVF to be at the far top left of the camera, so there's room for my nose to not hit the LCD screen. I'd also like the eyecup to be a removable quality rubber/silicone piece so that we have an option to replace it with aftermarket eyecups that are bigger or more comfortable.

I still want the biggest LCD screen possible, so the EVF still needs to be in a "hump" so it doesn't interfere with the LCD size.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I"m trying to become that way. Not everything "new" works...but I am occasionally surprised to find something that fits a use case I'd not expected!!

C

Exactly this.

I remember one time back in the 80s when I was a young Sailor in the Navy and my wife and I went over to a group of friends apartment to play Scrabble for shots.

(Any word over 15 points and you got to drink... Hey - it was the Navy and we were young so it is what it is...)

I was newly married and she was being "introduced" to the guys I'd been hanging out with and had lived in the barracks with.

We're sitting there and Paulie had just gotten a new stereo system and he was dying to show it off. He turns it on and cranks it up and walks over to the table and........

.......sets the remote control for the stereo down on the table.

We were aghast and gave him crap for it all night long... Too lazy to turn up your own stereo and so on..

Little did we know what the future held.

Now we have remote control light bulbs in our house lamps..

Paulie and the rest of the crew are still in touch and they all still give me crap about this one. My wife is still here too - 40+ years later - and she pokes me with it every time I mention something I'd like to buy.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Clearly, a DSLR viewfinder pretty much MUST be centered over the mount--that's where the prism has to go. But a lot of people are expressing a desire to have the viewfinder that is off-center with respect to the BODY, for reasons of nose hitting the screen, etc.

I can certainly imagine even a DSLR with an offset mount, and a "correctly" placed viewfinder that is not centered on the body. But of course we aren't talking about actual DSLRs. With an EVF, of course, it could go anywhere except right where the sensor goes (it could be behind the sensor!) or in front of the sensor.

Since I am left eye dominant, to work the controls I have to deal with the interference of my nose a lot more; I have to lift the camera away from my face to do anything (and it never occurred to me now that that wasn't normal). Moving the viewfinder left would relieve that but possibly put me in "nose touching the screen" territory. At least I am (mostly) right handed so the controls themselves aren't awkward once I pull the camera away!

Upvote 0