Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C70, to be announced this week.

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
I can say, I personally use an RP for this very purpose you mention here. I broadcast with it for 4 hours at a time, no problem. Might be a solution for you.
Probably for live but not for everything I want it to have. 4K 50p, 10bit for example. For live it will be B or C-camera, same goes for doc/news/video shooting + photo camera (BTS + photographs). So its close but not there. As a live only, it would probably be more than enough.
Right now I only have a XA50 which does everything except bigger sensor. It has XLR, good battery life (but I do want BPA on a Cine camera for dtap + usb), 4x bigger sensor than the xa20 etc, easy to rig up. Also it has a good grip for shooting, and 4k 25p. What it lacks is the "cinematic" parts, which I hope the C50 will give me.

A little note: I am in the beginning of my career, have done 2 years of media and communication, and I am going to take a bachelor in tv production (education here is free and super connected to the world). I mostly work freelance as a camera operator, but I also do my own projects and other stuff with my gear. Been doing live for about two years.

Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
I want the c70 the only thing that will hold me back from purchasing is if it has the same codec as the R5. I am willing to deal with the R5 because damn that image is beautiful but converting two codecs after a long day of shooting will be a nightmare.

Try Kyno.... https://lesspain.software/kyno/
Convert only the sections you want to ProRes etc.
I'm bugging them to implement Canon RAW support.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Those exposed batteries allow you to use any sized battery. If enclosed you’ll be restricted to batteries that can fit inside the camera.
There are two sizes, would be nice if at least the smaller one would fit without protruding, like on C200 ... but with C500 and C300 – any battery sticks out.

IBIS isnt perfect. But can cameras turn it off fully? If not then I see why they wouldnt want it in a high end camera....until tech gets better
Of course, that's how astro photographers work. It's as reliable as a good first party lens IS, but works with lenses that lack IS as well as for compensating different types of wobble.

Upvote 0

SpaceGhost

Canon 1DX
Jul 19, 2012
Texas
So wait for the 1RX! There is no other Full Frame Cinema camera yet besides the C500-2 which is $16k. When the 1RX drops next year, you probably won't get 8K, but you'll have a R5 killer in all but maximum resolution.

Because that is not what I want. A "1RX" will still not have proper audio inputs (XLR) which is why I hope for a C70 with the internals of a R5. I'm willing to pay a decent price but a C500 is too big, too expensive, and overkill.

If I was going for only cinema projects, then a C500 it is. However, I want something for my small marketing projects, short films, weddings, etc. and I don't want 4:2:0. (Of course I really want RAW or at least decent log).

The R5 proves they have the tech to do it. The C70 proves there is a form factor to make it work without overheating and still proper audio inputs... So let's mix and match. I'll pay something in between.

Canon is keep a big divide between photography and decent video quality.

Upvote 0
You are absolutely right, I have the R5 and the only thing I don’t like about the camera is the codec. Overheating isn’t even an issue after the 1.1.0 update. That damn codec has to be converted in ProRes before I can even review it on my computer. My MacPro can play back the RAW footage but not that H.265 which blows my mind.

I want the c70 the only thing that will hold me back from purchasing is if it has the same codec as the R5. I am willing to deal with the R5 because damn that image is beautiful but converting two codecs after a long day of shooting will be a nightmare.

Anyhow here’s to hoping canon gives a good codec on this guy. I have a ninja recorder but like a compact setup. It makes life so much easier but harder to shoot. Anyhow just give us a good codec and this camera will sell.
Max Yuryev and No Life show H265 4:2:2 editing easily on iPad Pro and intel PCs which can't easily. Lumafusion is 8 bit trancated but 10 bit available soon and Fina Cut soon as well on iPadOS. He puts it down to the ARM processors having hardware codec encoding built in and they are half the price of the Macbook Pro. I'll wait for an ARM-based Macbook Pro before I upgrade. That could be a year though with macrumors guessing that the 13" will be the first ARM machine in 2019 and the 14"/16" next year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Yes but it's cropped right? I thought that having the option of a focal reducer would be nice.

If you are comparing the dimensions of a s35 sensor to the dimensions of a “FF” sensor, then you could say it’s “cropped”, but you could also say that comparing the dimensions of a “FF” sensor to a “LF” sensor that the “FF” sensor is “cropped”. I think people are too hung-up on always comparing everything to “FF”. It’s not the end-all, be-all in motion work and a lot of times is actually a hinderance.

Now, I’m not saying that the ability to use a “speed booster” wouldn’t be, at times, a nice option, but you‘re not being cheated out of anything by Canon or anyone else pairing a s35 sized sensor with an RF Mount. As a matter of fact, it opens up more options and flexibility that we didn’t have with s35/EF mount cameras(like speed boosters and other lens adapters).

Upvote 0
Can we agree to ban the first person that says "No IBIS?" "It's DOA", "Canon cripple hammer" ? Or any combination of those, please? Before commenting please remember that no C-Line cameras have IBIS (that I know of).
I just can't believe it doesn't have a rear facing camera to take selfies while I am filming, common Canon!!

• Haha
Upvote 0
I've been tuned in to Canonrumors for years and never registered a profile. I had to comment on this today. So this C70 and C50 cameras are what many of us have been waiting for. An "affordable" cinema camera from Canon using the latest tech from the RF mount. I came close to buying a blackmagic pocket cinema 6K but that MFT sensor and garbage autofocus kept me from pulling the trigger. I've been salivating at the thought of owning a C300 Mk3 but this C50/C70 cameras would be even better for my style of filming, and at a lower price. I am going to be glued to the screen for this Canon press release

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The "No IBIS" sentiment is pure ego. These same people cried "I don't need no autofocus, I'm a pro. Only amateurs use AF."
And of course, AF is now considered a core and necessary feature of every camera, including video and cinema.
Apparently the ego can get so big that it can't figure out how to turn off IBIS, so it can pretend to be better than everything and everyone.
IBIS is a must for long exposures with handheld photography.
It is not a necessity for video when compared to EIS mated with OIS.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
A7siii (full readout)and A7iii and all of the Sony apsc cameras (down sampled 6k)

The R5 is line skipped and my R6’s over heat in down sampled 5.1k. No flame just the facts.
A7SIII is a 8Mp camera.. reading out and processing 5 times amount of pixels plus downsampling with R5 generates way more heat than with A7sIII
R6 sensor is only 2.5 times but also generates more heat than A7sIII.

APS-C cameras do not count for the obvious reason. ;)

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
A7SIII is a 8Mp camera.. reading out and processing 5 times amount of pixels plus downsampling with R5 generates way more heat than with A7sIII
R6 sensor is only 2.5 times but also generates more heat than A7sIII.

APS-C cameras do not count for the obvious reason. ;)
A7siii is 12mp
A7iii is 24 mp
R6 is 20mp and does not offer a 4K crop option.

Upvote 0
Okay, so it's clear I really do have too much time on my hands now but I just had a thought about the two strange rubber stoppers on the import 1 and 2 covers and the question of a bolt on viewfinder. If like on the c100mkii, the flip out screen on this camera can rotate and fold down flat onto the side of the body, then this could be the reason for these rubber stoppers, to guarantee air flow to the vent the folded out screen would be covering and also to protect the LCD, in this position. This would also then allow a bolt on viewfinder on the back if it was needed and still allow you to transport the camera with the screen protected. Not sure about the mini XLR's though. Hmm, I may be over thinking this, maybe I should just get on with some real work. ;-)rubberstoppers.jpg

Upvote 0