Rumors confirmed: Canon EOS M50 Mark II and a new Speedlite are coming soon

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
Yet another non-standard battery with a non-standard charger, as if there aren't enough rechargeable AA batteries to go around.
AA just don't have the discharge capacity for fast recovery of the speedlite, you start missing shots while the flash recharges. A nice big lithium ion cell seems way better.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If you're not considering fuji, this does not matter at all. Now with canon finally finding its mojo, whats the point of a fuju for canonites, especially if you dont have extra cash to burn.

Canon finding its mojo? Please! In the Cine series, different matter. What do they have for hybrid / stills / vloggers / enthusiasts and beginners?

They have the R5, R6, M50 and M6 Mk II. And what else? Canon, Sony, Nikon, Fuji and the rest aren't religions.

• Wow
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
AA just don't have the discharge capacity for fast recovery of the speedlite, you start missing shots while the flash recharges. A nice big lithium ion cell seems way better.
Actually, NiMH batteries have plenty of discharge capacity, but Li Ion batteries ARE lighter for the same capacity and will produce more than twice the voltage in the same space which is good for inverter efficiency. Unless the inverter is capable of a wide input range, the problem will be that there will be no way to use any kind of AA cell for backup. I guess they could parallel the Li Ion cells to keep the voltage down, but that would kind of defeat the purpose.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
It is called competition and Canon at the moment, outside top end R5 and R6 are nowhere to be seen as far as viable high end enthusiast down to beginners. All the big empires eventually collapse for pretty much the same reasons.
Oh. Please, please tell us the story about Kodak...

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
The timing of this release is probably being driven by Fuji.

You guys have heard of the X-T4 (great IBIS, weather proof, two card slots and all the rest) the high performance crop frame camera that Canon should have been making rather than the 90D. Well on 15 October Fuji are announcing the X-S10. Which essentially is a slimmed down version of the X-T4. We know it will be DSLR style, have IBIS and a full articulating screen and sell for $999.

(In the absence of any viable Canon camera with a crop sensor that could could compete on performance and price I stumped up for an X-T4 and some lenses and I've been mightily pleased).

So I figure the M50 MkII will pretty much match the Fuji on specs and retail at about the $999 mark. Though being Canon it won't have the full range of control dials like Fuji and they'll find other ways of crippling the spec so it doesn't cannibalise sales from the rest of the range.

I'm waiting to see how they compare. I'm leaning towards the fuji, though some of their XF glass is a bit heavy for a smaller body. An M50 II might be just the ticket for street photography with some M glass like the 22.
I doubt that Fuji is the driver here. The majority of M buyers are just average consumers that don't keep up on all the tech details and to them, "Fujifilm" is a name that will elicit the question "didn't they make film?". Canon has the name recognition and the store shelf space. You want a Fuji, you will need to order it because you will find them in very few stores. The Fuji system, while very elegant, is not exactly cheap when you start buying lenses and also on the heavy side when compared to the M system. The M50 II will be sold to the same folks who bought the M50 and their friends. If it is decently thought out, it will sell very well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon finding its mojo? Please! In the Cine series, different matter. What do they have for hybrid / stills / vloggers / enthusiasts and beginners?

They have the R5, R6, M50 and M6 Mk II. And what else? Canon, Sony, Nikon, Fuji and the rest aren't religions.
:rolleyes: Get real, dude.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
The upcoming M50 Mark II certainly does not rule out a higher end M camera (m5 II or M-7 or whatever). Not sure why so many are jumping to that conclusion. Nor will the M50 II be a higher end camera than the M6 II in all likelihood. It is a cheaper model, so I am sure that's where it will remain. At around $600-650, it won't be a competitor to the Fuji mentioned. It's aimed at a different consumer.

I must say, that the trolls are out in force on this thread. No competitive cameras from Canon? Please, try to pay attention to the real world, rather than troll-land. Their full frame offerings are now better than the competition in almost every way. The M series is probably the most popular APS-C line of cameras - and if not, than only the Rebels out sell them. Everybody should get the camera that best suits them, but please, you can enjoy your camera without feeling the need to slam other brands.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I doubt that Fuji is the driver here. The majority of M buyers are just average consumers that don't keep up on all the tech details and to them, "Fujifilm" is a name that will elicit the question "didn't they make film?". Canon has the name recognition and the store shelf space. You want a Fuji, you will need to order it because you will find them in very few stores. The Fuji system, while very elegant, is not exactly cheap when you start buying lenses and also on the heavy side when compared to the M system. The M50 II will be sold to the same folks who bought the M50 and their friends. If it is decently thought out, it will sell very well.

Hello Dragon

Have you seen what Canon is filling all that store shelf space with? 250D and other basic DSLRs. EF-S kit lenses like 18-55 and 35-75 from 2 to 3 generations back. And even a lot of those are on back order.

As for cheap an X-T30 with better glass and performance than the M50 will be not be a lot more money.

I've not been trolling exactly, however having gone looking for a body lens solution that Canon couldn't supply, I decided to come here and point out that as things stand Canon the Emperor (outside the R5 and R6) has very few clothes.

I like Canon gear overall and would have liked to stick with them, they are however just playing catch up as things stand. Sony have a more balanced range than Canon.

If the M50 MkII looks any good I'll really consider buying one. It will however have to justify itself. Same as any other brand.

Of course Canon Rumours attracts fans of the brand. It is one thing to invest ones cash in the kit, it is unwise to invest oneself in the brand.

Upvote 0
The upcoming M50 Mark II certainly does not rule out a higher end M camera (m5 II or M-7 or whatever). Not sure why so many are jumping to that conclusion. Nor will the M50 II be a higher end camera than the M6 II in all likelihood. It is a cheaper model, so I am sure that's where it will remain. At around $600-650, it won't be a competitor to the Fuji mentioned. It's aimed at a different consumer.

I must say, that the trolls are out in force on this thread. No competitive cameras from Canon? Please, try to pay attention to the real world, rather than troll-land. Their full frame offerings are now better than the competition in almost every way. The M series is probably the most popular APS-C line of cameras - and if not, than only the Rebels out sell them. Everybody should get the camera that best suits them, but please, you can enjoy your camera without feeling the need to slam other brands.

Hi Czardoom.

It is possible that you are referring to some of my comments. I didn’t say that Canon has no competitive cameras. In the R5 and R6 they have produced some excellent kit. The new M50 is likely to sell very well. I’m even thinking one might suit me.
However at the low end they are still relying on the 250D and other models. Come on now. Is that the best they can do?
I’m happy to be corrected on the following. Can somebody tell me which Canon crop frame camera can compete with the Fuji x-t4 or 3?
Because if I thought they did I wouldn’t have bought Fuji. Happy to admit if I missed something.
And I’m rather annoyed with Canon because they have for the time being abandoned market segments that I’m interested in.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
The timing of this release is probably being driven by Fuji.

You guys have heard of the X-T4 (great IBIS, weather proof, two card slots and all the rest) the high performance crop frame camera that Canon should have been making rather than the 90D. Well on 15 October Fuji are announcing the X-S10. Which essentially is a slimmed down version of the X-T4. We know it will be DSLR style, have IBIS and a full articulating screen and sell for $999.

(In the absence of any viable Canon camera with a crop sensor that could could compete on performance and price I stumped up for an X-T4 and some lenses and I've been mightily pleased).

So I figure the M50 MkII will pretty much match the Fuji on specs and retail at about the $999 mark. Though being Canon it won't have the full range of control dials like Fuji and they'll find other ways of crippling the spec so it doesn't cannibalise sales from the rest of the range.

I'm waiting to see how they compare. I'm leaning towards the fuji, though some of their XF glass is a bit heavy for a smaller body. An M50 II might be just the ticket for street photography with some M glass like the 22.

Ummm..... no. The M50 Mark II isn't going to move up-market in that way. It was slotted below the original M6, so there's no way Canon would slot this above the M6 Mark II. Rumors of the M5 Mark II/M7 were aiming for a late 2020 announcement, but it may have been pushed back to early 2021 due to the pandemic.

Upvote 0