Canon EOS M50 Mark II Specifications [CR2]

Very simple to classify the M body:

1. m50 mark 2: 8 bit 4K 60p, no ibis, no clean hdmi out for external recording. use webcam utility to grab clean image for webmeetkng or livestreaming.

2. m6 mark 2: 4K 30p internal,no ibis, clean hdmi for external 10bit 4:2:2 recording.

3. rumored m7: flagship, 4K 60p 4:2:0 , ibis, clean hdmi out for external 10 bit 4:2:2 recording. log file and HLG supported.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Very simple to classify the M body:

1. m50 mark 2: 8 bit 4K 60p, no ibis, no clean hdmi out for external recording. use webcam utility to grab clean image for webmeetkng or livestreaming.

2. m6 mark 2: 4K 30p internal,no ibis, clean hdmi for external 10bit 4:2:2 recording.

3. rumored m7: flagship, 4K 60p 4:2:0 , ibis, clean hdmi out for external 10 bit 4:2:2 recording. log file and HLG supported.
yeah except when you factor in prices, that doesn't make any sense.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
That's why i'm questioning the specifications. Canon is not going to screw with the price.

Both the sensor and Digic have been used in several other models, I wonder if Canon has fine tuned the production of those to make them cheap enough. The original M50 also had waaaay better specs than its pricepoint would predict.

Upvote 0
To summarize some user requests, wishes, conclusions, etc:

<:ROFLMAO:> IBIS, Dual cards, Fuji-EF adaptor, weatherproofing, focusing better than R5 and R6 and M5 II with IBIS and better spec at 999 £ or $ </ :ROFLMAO:>
Full package with all the bells and whistles of the R6 with an APS-C sensor and R body ergonomics and I am willing to pay 2k :)

I have yet to see Fuji make an ultra wide zoom for $399 USD for their mirrorless that is also excellent optical quality.

when they do get back to me.

If you are so fond of your Fuji - why are you here?
Yup Canon has compared to competitors decent UWA options for a low price with AF. Same for macro lenses. Atleast for APS-C. Canon gear on the used market is also much more interesting both for buying and selling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Both the sensor and Digic have been used in several other models, I wonder if Canon has fine tuned the production of those to make them cheap enough. The original M50 also had waaaay better specs than its pricepoint would predict.

At the time the M50 got out, the 24MP sensor was used just about everywhere, the M200 even got the 24MP sensor. the rest of the better specs were really just firmware, 4K was lipservice to 4K. The DIGIC hasn't been out in mass quantities yet, and for the most part, neither has the sensor.

Like i said, either the specs are wrong or it's a bargain. We'll see which one holds up soon.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Hi Nigel.

Switching wasn’t an easy choice for me. In the end I added up the cost of an R6 plus the cost of the lenses I wanted (because some R glass is so new no chance of used) and for less money I got the X-T4 (I like the crop to increase reach) with the 16-80 and a 100-400 as new used for just over £3000.00. Add in a couple of third party batteries and a couple of extra SD cards and I’m good to go. All weather sealed and great stabilisation.

Am I happy with it all? Absolutely. Do I want Fuji to improve their AF? Yep.

Do I miss Canon? To a degree because I like their kit. Trouble is they don’t seem interested in the part of the market I’m in. And I’m not alone. Think about the people on here and elsewhere who are gagging for a 7D MkIII (or rather R7).

I rarely shoot video so that is an unknown to me personally, yet there are lots of shooters out there getting great results from the x-t4 / 3.

The question I’d ask all the Canon fans here is ‘why stick with Canon when other makers produce products that might better meet your needs’?

Canon loves your money and they love your loyalty. Are they reciprocating your commitment?

I find it laughable that people think that Canon has the largest share of the market and continuing popularity simply because of "fan loyalty." Cameras and lenses are high priced items. People will spend their money wisely. If people find a product that better meets their needs, they will certainly consider the options and will buy into a different brand if it suits their needs. I am sure that I am one of those people that others like you consider to be a "fanboy" simply because I think Canon makes really good cameras and lenses that suit my needs and are easy and fun to shoot with. Might other cameras suit my needs? Sure, but the camera market is in flux right now and the assumption that you seem to be making is that Canon will ignore those 7D II and high-end APS-C shooters. I guess time will tell, but there is no reason to think that more alternatives won't be coming up in the next couple years. Do most camera buyers really need something new every couple years and/or should they switch systems that often because some brand's latest offering is better than what they have now? Only if they are completely impatient. Or have money to throw away.

If Fuji suits your needs, that's great. Denegrating those that don't agree with you and who like what Canon offers is silly. It is quite frankly, "troll-speak." I don't buy Canon because of any brand loyalty. In fact, my main cameras are Olympus. I'm guessing that many other forum members either have - or have tried - other brands. Just like you, we choose what suits our needs.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Full package with all the bells and whistles of the R6 with an APS-C sensor and R body ergonomics and I am willing to pay 2k :)

Yup Canon has compared to competitors decent UWA options for a low price with AF. Same for macro lenses. Atleast for APS-C. Canon gear on the used market is also much more interesting both for buying and selling.
Yet, this will not be the M50 II. Maybe M7 (CR0 or CR1 for now...)

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Thirty years ago there were PC computers with one/two FDDs and an (optional) HDD. An M/RF series camera with a single card slot and an (optional) M.2 drive wouldn't be necessarily a bad idea, I think...

Call it "Black box" edition and voila!

While at HP, I developed software for this desktop computer with a single FDD nearly 40 years ago and used this laptop 35 years ago. In 1983 we were developing and running Lisp on Unix on that desktop (external HDD, 80 column modification, and lots of memory in an expander). A lot of progress has occurred since then.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Nope, I know the article you're referring to. It's not an official statement at all.
Oops, you're right... but it the end it matters not. I do not believe there will be a 5D Mark V. Using what you are calling "logic" surrounding an "M" model release doesn't make it anymore plausible. M got nothing to do with any 5D.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
How long before someone mentions the lack of dual card slots ;-)
And, of course, lack of IBIS. With due respect, do they all have Parkinson's disease!? IS is good, but it's worth noting that photographers got along just fine without IS for nearly 180 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
And, of course, lack of IBIS. With due respect, do they all have Parkinson's disease!? IS is good, but it's worth noting that photographers got along just fine without IS for nearly 180 years.

What I consider "sharp" on an 85mm lens went from 1/200s on the RP to 1/60s on the R5. On the longer end I don't see such a big improvement, but focussing and framing with the 180L became a lot easier with less wiggle in the EVF.

Also, the 180 years is a bad faith argument, only a very short period of that had cameras that didn't require tripods or were too light to filter out shakes.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
IS, IBIS are always nice to have , when you need it. I am wondering if anybody have done any study to see if the IBIS can affect the sharpness. The reason that I am bringing up the question is that my EF-M 11 -22 loses some edge sharpness with IS even at bright sunlight. It is almost as sharp as my EF-M 22 with IS off

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
M50 has been such a good seller for Canon, priced competitively from the start with decent spec at launch.

I like the M series range as a hobby / travel camera, that could even work, for me at least as a B / C backup. I even pre-ordered the M5 and was pleased with it at the time but then soon after when the cheaper M50 came along with the articulating screen and superior AF I wondered if I should have waited.

I hope Canon don’t ditch the M5 line I would like to see them produce an M5 II but this time it needs to be a clearly better camera than the M50 II otherwise what is the point!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
You haven't been paying attention I think.
Fuji clearly makes some nice enthusiast cameras, but the detail that you Fuji fans miss is that the M line is largely bought by folks who want to take better pictures than a bridge camera, but still want portable. The 18-150 lens is very popular with M owners and it is a very good lens (I have 2 of them). The closest thing Fuji has is their 18-135 which is almost twice the weight and twice the price. The vaunted xt4 is also 35% heavier and almost 3 times the price of an M50. When you price it out, the Fuji package is simply more expensive, but most importantly, it is bigger and heavier (actually 40g heavier than an RP) and doesn't stay out of your way like an M6 or M50 does. Please note, I am not dissing Fuji cameras. They are very nice and quite capable. I am just trying to point out that they are in a different market space than the M series cameras.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
...it's worth noting that photographers got along just fine without IS for nearly 180 years.
Yeah, but isn't that a weak and insipid argument against progress? Photographers got by without AF and 35mm film canisters for decades too.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yeah, but isn't that a weak and insipid argument against progress? Photographers got by without AF and 35mm film canisters for decades too.
I don't think so, the logical extension of that would be that every camera model needs every technological innovation regardless of cost or actual practicality in that specific instance.

Specifically regarding IBIS, if most of lenses in the model range have IS doesn't that somewhat negate the need for IBIS?

Upvote 0
I saw someone mention that there will be a follow up to the M5 - I want to upgrade but did not like the M6ii lack of viewfinder. I have the M5. Should I get this one with these rumored specs or is something better coming - I am confused if this is the upgrade I have been waiting for - I know earlier ppl said the m6ii was not much of an upgrade for the m5 and the specs on this m50ii appears to be the same as an m6ii with viewfinder. I don't want to get this if there is something better coming shortly with IBIS or even a full frame M system camera.

Well you could be waiting forever. Technology moves too quickly these days. IBIS will be stock standard in a few years time but at the moment seems to be a big ticket item. By the way the M6ii was a massive upgrade over the M5 in all departments.

Upvote 0
Totally agreed. Im not sure how true it is, but some reviews on the A7c wish it never same with ibis it is so bad. The line b/n taking photos vs shooting video is totally blurred. Not even the manufactureres know what to do. Smartphone tech has really impacted the market.

Upvote 0