Two ‘Big Whites’ coming for the RF mount in 2021 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I really wanted to know when we would be seeing our first RF mount ‘Big White’ lenses, so I reached out to a couple of sources and received a little bit of information on the topic.
I was told by both sources I spoke with that Canon plans to announce at least two such lenses in 2021. These lenses will come alongside the Canon EOS R1, which looks to be coming in the 2nd half of 2021, though delays are obviously possible.
One source said one of the new lenses would be an RF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM, but neither of them knew what the second lens would be.
More to come…

Continue reading...

Last edited:
This is great news but I hope Canon has the manufacturing/assembly capacity needed to add a 3rd new R family camera. They are struggling right now to get R5/R6s delivered to their retail partners. I have been waiting 2 months for my R5 and I am sure there are others that have been waiting longer than that.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
This is great news but I hope Canon has the manufacturing/assembly capacity needed to add a 3rd new R family camera. They are struggling right now to get R5/R6s delivered to their retail partners. I have been waiting 2 months for my R5 and I am sure there are others that have been waiting longer than that.

The delays are probably not Canon capacity related by the whole supply chain being disrupted due to Covid.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I really hope Canon sees the need for a lens that gets sports and wildlife/bird shooters to 600mm at a decently fast aperture without the need for a TC to get to or past that focal length mark. Shooting full-frame really brings on the need for 600mm as opposed to 500mm. This is all the talk among my circle of bird photographers. Seems a 600mm f/4 DO is a popular wish! It would be super expensive, but an awesome lens I am sure. I am shooting an adapted 600 f/4 IS II with both TCs now and although it works great, a DO in an RF mount would be sweet given it comes in lighter and shorter.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

I ordered mid-day launch day and mine is being delivered today. Almost three months.

There was just a knock at the door so I’m sure that’s it. No kidding. It just arrived.

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Every new RF lens is bad news for me, because it makes it more likely than Canon will stop producing DSLRs very soon.
That's just living in denial. RF is the future so get used to it, the way I look at it though is what does the EF system lack? The 5D IV is as capable a DSLR as you could ever want for practically anything, the 5Ds gives all the resolution useful at this point and the IQ stands up surprisingly well to even the most modern sensors, the 6D II is as cheap as chips (wonderful colloquial English saying), and the 1D series a bulletproof tool that simply never lets you down. The EF lenses are cheap compared to the RF versions and there is practically any lens you could ever desire. The future for EF users is good because it doesn't need anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I imagine with the Tokyo Olympics postponed till ‘21, canon will introduce an R Pro body and perhaps a 400/2.8 or 500/2.8 to compliment the sports shooter standard issue 300/2.8.

I'm pessimistic about Canon getting an R1 into the hands of sports shooters in or before June, 2021. I feel like the R1 is going to miss the Olympics, but that most pro sports shooters won't mind, since they already have their 1DXs and pro EF glass.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0