The next firmware for the Canon EOS R5 is still on schedule for November

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
*raising hand*

..excuse me, anything for us stills guys and girls?

A damned good question actually. But the R5 is pretty darn good for stills, other than what appears to be a "freezing" bug. I'd maintain the fact that the stills part seems to have been better from the start is already a good bonus!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I must say, I am very interested in fhd 120. If the dynamic range is fine, it could be a great option.
I think slowmotion is always a super easy way to improve boring footage that you get at the typical event one may film. Also good for imagefilms.
A good FHD image should be good enough when it comes to detail... sadly canon is not that great in that area, given the awful FHD image tht the 5D IV and 1DX II produce.
lets hope for the best. Could be a good alternative to 4k120 which is sadly SUPER quick to overheat. External recording would be nice as well, but I think thats limited due to hardware? 4k120 external would be great...

Do you have any actual experience with the R5? I've been shooting 4K120 for months now without overheating. Shooting thousands of photos and then multiple 4K120 clips - never an issue. My friend just rented the R5 for a massive multi-day job and used it for 120p and never had an issue.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Do you have any actual experience with the R5? I've been shooting 4K120 for months now without overheating. Shooting thousands of photos and then multiple 4K120 clips - never an issue. My friend just rented the R5 for a massive multi-day job and used it for 120p and never had an issue.
?!
I have 2 R5 since release, and installed the latest firmware when it released. I tested them thoroughly on multiple occasions. Weath was medium.
4k50 ovearheated after maybe 20-40 minutes. (external works without a problem though)
8k overheated after maybe 15-30 minutes, not realy sure. I have no real use cases for this.
4k HQ works okay, external works fine, internal overheats after 20-40 minutes (my guess).

But 4k100 was REALY problematic. It overheated after maybe 10 minutes record time, in a 30 minute time frame. And it overheated after 4-5 minutes when recording straight. Was not operatable for so long, I packed it up for the shoot and used only the second body.
The REAL problem: the camera not only overheated, but crashed and LOST THE FILE (every time).

Weird that 4k120 worked so great for you. Was it pretty cold?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I would like to be able to remap the Rate button but that would be a stills and video feature
What else would you like? The R5 is a superior stills machine :)
I would like to customize the Q-menu. I could definitely see animal AF improved, also for humans. I would finally like to see more options to customize buttons to different functions in shooting and review mode. I would would like to see different fps in electronic shutter. Improved anti flickering as I came across a big issue with that just today. Clear out the freezing that some are experiencing.
And why oh why is cropping in camera not present in the raw converting screen?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I would like to customize the Q-menu. I could definitely see animal AF improved, also for humans. I would finally like to see more options to customize buttons to different functions in shooting and review mode. I would would like to see different fps in electronic shutter. Improved anti flickering as I came across a big issue with that just today. Clear out the freezing that some are experiencing.
And why oh why is cropping in camera not present in the raw converting screen?
Better customisation of the buttons/menu would be good. It has been one point of difference with the Sonys
Is storage the only issue with lower fps for the eshutter? Already silent and I am not sure that rolling shutter would be any better at lower speed
Is the anti-flickering worse than the 1DXii/iii?
The freezing sounds like a bug "phenomenon"
Is storage the only issue with cropping in-camera?

Upvote 0
What about the 1dx iii additional 5.5k raw bit rates? Are there any confirmations that about that?
5.5k raw is based on the size of the 1DXiii's sensor ie full width. The R5 can only do 8K raw from the full sensor width. Everything else is either cropped from full frame, pixel binned/line skipped or downsampled. With cinema raw lite, the bit rates may be low enough to record 8k raw internally to SD card or externally via HDMI.

Upvote 0
I hang in Magic Lantern forums and there are always people there who are scared that Canon will cripple the video and force them to buy cinema cameras.
Magic Lantern was/is an amazing community that extracted great features from the 5Diii. Clearly, the Canon engineers were let loose on the R5 but overheating is the consequence. If you want unlimited video then the correct form factor and cooling is needed.
ML sadly haven't been able to reverse engineer the recent Digix processors. I am not convinced that they could get more out of the R5 reliably.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
?!
I have 2 R5 since release, and installed the latest firmware when it released. I tested them thoroughly on multiple occasions. Weath was medium.
4k50 ovearheated after maybe 20-40 minutes. (external works without a problem though)
8k overheated after maybe 15-30 minutes, not realy sure. I have no real use cases for this.
4k HQ works okay, external works fine, internal overheats after 20-40 minutes (my guess).

But 4k100 was REALY problematic. It overheated after maybe 10 minutes record time, in a 30 minute time frame. And it overheated after 4-5 minutes when recording straight. Was not operatable for so long, I packed it up for the shoot and used only the second body.
The REAL problem: the camera not only overheated, but crashed and LOST THE FILE (every time).

Weird that 4k120 worked so great for you. Was it pretty cold?
If it lost the file then your CFX card probably overheated.
R5 usually restricts recording and does not shut off entirely unless the overheat control is circumvented or something goes wrong with the recording media.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
5.5k raw is based on the size of the 1DXiii's sensor ie full width. The R5 can only do 8K raw from the full sensor width. Everything else is either cropped from full frame, pixel binned/line skipped or downsampled. With cinema raw lite, the bit rates may be low enough to record 8k raw internally to SD card or externally via HDMI.
5.5K CRAW light will not be able to write to an SD card.
Not even compresses Magic Lantern RAW can do that but it should help mitigate overheating.
There was also talk of MRAW which would be cropped 4K but 4:3, not 16:9.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
For the Canon veterans, are their firmware updates usually fine to install on day 1? For most other things besides cameras I usually wait a month before downloading the latest firmware/software.
Yes you can proceed with no worries. Up to now I have updated 5D3, 5D4, 7D2, 5DsR, 200D and EOS R with no issues (some of them more than once).

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
If it lost the file then your CFX card probably overheated.
R5 usually restricts recording and does not shut off entirely unless the overheat control is circumvented or something goes wrong with the recording media.
Hm its possible. I have a pretty unknown brand, because they cost only have of the sandisks. But maybe I'll try a sandisk soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Do make up your mind. Some will have to pay a bigger ... number than this … in … euros!

I agree but for me personally it is very very hard to make up my mind since this is a hobby and I do not make any money with photography. Usually I buy all cameras below 3k USD mark with the exception of an used Sony a9 that I paid 3300 USD. So the 3k mark is a mental block for me I guess. I would have pre-ordered the R5 if Canon would have priced it at 3500 USD. I was even mentally prepared for that but closer to 4k mark put me off.

Upvote 0