The future of DSLRs may lay with Pentax, as Ricoh gives us a teaser for the Pentax K-3 Mark III

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
RICOH COMPANY, LTD. and RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. have been developing a new PENTAX K-series digital SLR camera, which will be positioned as the flagship model of the APS-C-format SLR lineup.
Currently, in development, the new camera now has its official name: the PENTAX K-3 Mark III.
Designed to be a camera embodying The Five Principles of PENTAX, it will incorporate an array of functions and features to highlight the significance of SLR photography, and to optimize the joy taking pictures for everyone with a passion for photography.
The product prototype was exhibited last year during the PENTAX 100th Year Anniversary event. At the event, we announced that it would be launched by the end of 2020 — and it is now in the final stage of development. Once the development is complete, we will streamline the camera’s production system. It has taken a bit longer than expected, so we appreciate your patience and wish to share already an overview of the product, as per the specifications...

Continue reading...

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Recent updates to 6D, 5D, and 1DX were not minor.
Juli 2017 (6D II) and September 2016 (5D IV) are recent? Or are talking about the R6 and R5?

The 1DX III launch was recent, yes. And not minor. But neither were the M6 II and 90D, both bringing huge changes compared to the predecessor with them.

The only minor recent release I can think of is the M50 II, and that's an outlier because of its special market position.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
That pentaprism thing sounds like an interesting new invention.
Yes, imagine being able to actually look through the lens and see the view the right way up without the need for power, pixels and sensor readout. Sounds fascinating !

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I found a good price for a used MF Pentax DSLR but I did not buy it because I could only find 5 lenses that actually existed for it.
I do not see how it is possible for a DSLR to exist at this point in time without a long lineage of lenses.
I am going to assume that I just do not know where to look.
Just out of curiosity how many lenses would you want ?
There are about 21 AF Pentax lenses for the 645 and many more manual focus ones.
Many people report that the CCD equipped 645D is excellent at low ISO.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I wish Pentax well in this endeavor and surprising announcement. I just hope they are not too late to the game. While I have been a long time Canon EOS user, my very first camera was an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic that I purchased while visiting Tokyo back in the 60's, along with three universal thread lenses(their lens mount format, at the time). It was a match needle camera and was very easy to use, taking excellent photos. In the 60's, you could pick up most bodies, across all brands, for around $100.00 or slightly more, anywhere in Asia. Stateside, the body I purchased was branded under the Honeywell Pentax name and cost around $3-400.00 if purchased there. While purchasing overseas, these cameras were a bargain, something that doesn't hold true today, for whatever reason, with USA versions usually being cheaper now, both on line and in person. Added to that, of course, is the gray market, international, essentially no warranty issue with imported bodies.
We haven't paid much attention to Pentax lately, as it seems they have been asleep, while Canon, Sony, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic were pushing ahead with new developments, all trying to stay abreast of new technologies. While it is a little surprising to hear their new camera body will be a DSLR, rather than a mirrorless, I do hope that they are successful with this endeavor and are actually able to sell it in significant enough quantities, to keep them afloat and help make them a viable and competitive company, once again. I had pretty much written them off, as a camera manufacturer. Good luck, Pentax.....

Upvote 0