The next firmware for the Canon EOS R5 is still on schedule for November

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Wow - if they can't find any issues, why can't they keep that R5 and send you a new one, or certified refurbished one (at your choice)? That'd make me a lot happier if I were in your shoes. I assume platinum CPS is a add-on service plan, right? You'd really think they could swap bodies to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Actually, if this is a bug in the firmware, as opposed to just a glitch in that particular camera, swapping bodies would accomplish nothing other than to cost Canon money.

And my suspicion is it really is a bug in the firmware, since the problem is so prevalent. It's intermittent, though, which makes it hard to reliably reproduce the problem, which is the first step to debugging it. There's probably some set of steps one can take to cause it to happen, and some of us follow that sequence (without realizing it) and some of us don't, since we all have different habits.

So (again, my suspicion) one part of Canon probably realizes there is an issue and is struggling to get a handle on it, while the repair shop runs standard tests that aren't showing anything wrong--they don't have the software people there working on the camera itself, so they're doing the only thing they can--run the standardized tests, and repair if a problem is found, send it back if not.

I know many people have had frustrations with CPS in the past, refusing to fix a sub-par lens for instance, but this is probably a very different situation.

Which does not make it any less frustrating. (And I say this as someone who did have a freezeup once, and probably would have had more if he were to use the camera more.)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Both of my R5 never once face this issue. You might wanna bring it back to Canon. both my R5 worked flawlessly with initiate and latest firmware.
Mine freezes all the time with the rf 70-200 with every shoot i do with it. just froze a few minutes ago.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Mine freezes all the time with the rf 70-200 with every shoot i do with it. just froze a few minutes ago.
ouch! I've shot a lot with my rf 70-200 f2.8, and never had any freeze. Man, I guess I got lucky. I have their latest firmware of body & lenses. I don't have a 28-70 f2 so I can't comment on it. I do have the 15-35 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 and 800 f11 in addition, with no freezes.

Do your freezes happen mostly with just 1 lens, or all of them at the same rate? I'm wondering if you have a problem with the electrical contacts on the mount interface?

By the way (Booyahcasa22), how do you like your 28-70 f2? Do you feel it's fast enough that you don't feel the desire to also get the 50 f1.2 or 85 f1.2?

Upvote 0
This is my (mostly video) wish list for the next firmware update.

- better codecs that can play smoothly in resolve\premiere
- ability to customize the Q menu
- ability to customize the rate button
- ability to make a custom button for 1.6 crop in video/stills
- crop 4k raw
- ability to turn on view assist in playback menu
- fix/upgrade the interval timer menu (its a mess)

Upvote 0
ouch! I've shot a lot with my rf 70-200 f2.8, and never had any freeze. Man, I guess I got lucky. I have their latest firmware of body & lenses. I don't have a 28-70 f2 so I can't comment on it. I do have the 15-35 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 and 800 f11 in addition, with no freezes.

Do your freezes happen mostly with just 1 lens, or all of them at the same rate? I'm wondering if you have a problem with the electrical contacts on the mount interface?

By the way (Booyahcasa22), how do you like your 28-70 f2? Do you feel it's fast enough that you don't feel the desire to also get the 50 f1.2 or 85 f1.2?

I have freezes with the RF 28 - 70 and also several EF lenses with the adapter. I am holding off on more RF lenses until the outcome of the freezing issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

TheSalvatore

Canon R5
Jun 18, 2020
I really think that you need to bring it back to Canon. I tried the RF70-200 f2.8, EF version too, both my R5 worked great. Better to get it check now since it’s under warranty

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Are you all reporting this to Canon? If not it will probably never be corrected if it’s poasible through firmware.
It would be interesting to know what level of reporting triggers internally a yes there actually is an issue here with Canon, obviously and rightly we'll never know but looking at the poll on here in percentage terms would that be enough I wonder.

Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
Hm its possible. I have a pretty unknown brand, because they cost only have of the sandisks. But maybe I'll try a sandisk soon.
I bought a CFExpress card reader from ProGrade. They then gave me 20% off next purchase which I used on the Cobalt 325. It is fast as heck and works beautifully in and out of the camera.

Upvote 0
Are you all reporting this to Canon? If not it will probably never be corrected if it’s poasible through firmware.

At first I exchanged several emails with Canon, indicated it was a common problem and suggested they do a google search. Then sent the camera to a service center, where they ran several tests and told me it completed all tests successfully, so it was returned to me. I can't return it to the place I purchased it, it has been too long. I have expressed my dissatisfaction with Canon to them a few times, but there has been no changes.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
At first I exchanged several emails with Canon, indicated it was a common problem and suggested they do a google search. Then sent the camera to a service center, where they ran several tests and told me it completed all tests successfully, so it was returned to me. I can't return it to the place I purchased it, it has been too long. I have expressed my dissatisfaction with Canon to them a few times, but there has been no changes.
I wonder what brand of CFExpress Canon uses for the tests? Hmmm...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Humanity is doomed. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be. As Paula Cole so unfamously sang "where have all the cowboys gone?"....
They either died of lung cancer or are housebound with emphysema, they looked cool for a few generations but it’s a hard life and smoking does actually kill.

Upvote 0
This is my (mostly video) wish list for the next firmware update.
- crop 4k raw
Raw can only be at the full sensor size.
Is the issue storage/file size? Then hopefully the lower bit rate from the future firmware will assist this issue and then you can crop in post
Maybe Canon could delete pixels in the data flow so that only the 4k crop raw is saved. I guess that is possible. Only option would be 30fps though.

Upvote 0