A Canon RF 100mm f/2L IS USM Macro gets a mention [CR1]

Apr 29, 2019
Depth is a function of magnification and Fstop only -the focal length of a macro lens does not change the depth of field in any significant way.

I do agree that a lens that can reach 2x natively is better than one that has a maximum aperture of F2. The Fstop makes me think that this specific rumor is just that -a rumor. Someone's wishful thinking who already owns the EF version.

Better still would be an MP-E 65mm RF mount lens...
... an MP-E AF version to focus stack ...

Upvote 0

Dalantech

Gatekeeper to the Small World
Feb 12, 2015
... an MP-E AF version to focus stack ...

Due to the way that the MP-E is constructed, basically a reversed lens on a variable length extension tube, I doubt we'll ever see an AF version of it.

If you can learn how to control were the depth of field is going to fall in a scene then focus stacking, for the most part, isn't necessary. I took this shot in the heat of the day and although I didn't get close every time I tried I only need to get close once.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to roughly 2.5x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT (E-TTL metering, -2/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Denoise AI, and Clarity in that order.

Violet Darter VII by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Due to the way that the MP-E is constructed, basically a reversed lens on a variable length extension tube, I doubt we'll ever see an AF version of it.

If you can learn how to control were the depth of field is going to fall in a scene then focus stacking, for the most part, isn't necessary. I took this shot in the heat of the day and although I didn't get close every time I tried I only need to get close once.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to roughly 2.5x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT (E-TTL metering, -2/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Denoise AI, and Clarity in that order.

Violet Darter VII by John Kimbler, on Flickr
Beautiful shot, John! :oops: Was this with your home-made diffuser, or has Canon come out with something new in diffusers?

Upvote 0

RickD

EOS R6
Aug 27, 2016
F2 for a macro lens seems a bit over the top. What’s the point?

Could be because they want to appeal to current EF 100mm 2.8 holders to upgrade if they need / want the extra stop. if it was the same as the current 100 macro L, there's no reason for anyone who owns the current EF version to updgrade

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Could be because they want to appeal to current EF 100mm 2.8 holders to upgrade if they need / want the extra stop. if it was the same as the current 100 macro L, there's no reason for anyone who owns the current EF version to updgrade

I wouldn't mind this at all, I know the 100mm F/2.8 has already been a great portrait lens, but making it F/2 would be an even bigger incentive to pick one up as a faster portrait lens alongside an excellent macro lens.

One of the big audiences for the 100mm macro has always been wedding photographers, I could see them using F/2 to appeal to them as a slightly wider 135mm f/2, which could replace two lenses in their bag with one in a pinch.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I wouldn't mind this at all, I know the 100mm F/2.8 has already been a great portrait lens, but making it F/2 would be an even bigger incentive to pick one up as a faster portrait lens alongside an excellent macro lens.

One of the big audiences for the 100mm macro has always been wedding photographers, I could see them using F/2 to appeal to them as a slightly wider 135mm f/2, which could replace two lenses in their bag with one in a pinch.

Of course, there was already a 100 mm f/2.0, though I don't recall whether they ever made an L version of it.

I know in my signature it says they can pry my 100 mm f/2.8 out of my cold dead hands, but I won't be getting this one, at least not as a replacement for that. Because it lives on a Rebel T6i. Besides I typically run mine at f/5.6. (If I need portraits done I use my 85mm f/1.8, another lens they're talking about not quite replacing with a f/2.0.)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0