Focus speed with R5 battery grip

The grip only draws power from one battery at a time.
On my R5 with the BG-R10 grip, the battery charge is similar on both batteries which indicates that it draws from both batteries. That's starting with both batteries at 100%. Then shoot some pictures and both batteries will indicate approximately the same lowered capacity. I just started charging two Canon batteries and they were both about 70% which indicates both were drawing at the same time. Now when you are charging the batteries in the grip, it charges one at a time as indicated by led lights. Then when both are charged, the led's go out. As a side note you cannot charge non-Canon batteries in the grip. There must be only Canon batteries in the grip for it to charge.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
On my R5 with the BG-R10 grip, the battery charge is similar on both batteries which indicates that it draws from both batteries. That's starting with both batteries at 100%. Then shoot some pictures and both batteries will indicate approximately the same lowered capacity. I just started charging two Canon batteries and they were both about 70% which indicates both were drawing at the same time. Now when you are charging the batteries in the grip, it charges one at a time as indicated by led lights. Then when both are charged, the led's go out. As a side note you cannot charge non-Canon batteries in the grip. There must be only Canon batteries in the grip for it to charge.

Are you sure the grip isn't drawing from one battery for a few shots, then from the other, to try to level the load?

Upvote 0
Are you sure the grip isn't drawing from one battery for a few shots, then from the other, to try to level the load?
That I have no idea. I just know if I check the batteries, they are both about the same. Using them back and forth doesn't make sense to me. It would make more sense to have them in parallel which would increase the current capacity.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
That I have no idea. I just know if I check the batteries, they are both about the same. Using them back and forth doesn't make sense to me. It would make more sense to have them in parallel which would increase the current capacity.

Yes, that makes a good deal of sense, provided of course that circuitry is in there to prevent one battery from discharging into the other if the voltages are ever slightly off (like one must do with battery banks and solar arrays).

Upvote 0