This is the possible Canon RF mount camera roadmap [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I continue to receive little bits and pieces of information in regards to future RF mount cameras. I have attempted to piece together what is coming for the RF mount camera lineup based on the information from multiple known and anonymous sources.
A new entry-level camera to replace the EOS RP
This camera will be cheaper than the current EOS RP camera body.
A second body above the EOS RP replacement
There will be a big price gap between the EOS RP replacement and the EOS R6 at $2499. I have been told a second camera will fit between these two bodies. It won’t be an “EOS R Mark II”.
There will be an APS-C RF mount camera body
I’m pretty sure that this is going to happen sometime in 2021. Hold tight for some smaller lenses for folks that want a nice and compact APS-C system.
A high-resolution EOS R5 type body
One of the worst kept secrets is that Canon will announce a high-megapixel RF mount camera...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 4 users
I wonder what they can possibly do in the segment above the R5. More Mega pixels for landscape photography? or faster FPS for action/sports? Better low light performance...or all three.
they could fix the overheating for 8k video, but since they have a different line for that, I doubt that will be enough.

(personally I have an R6 and the autofocus is such an improvement over the 6d...next: RF glass)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
A flagship RF mount camera

The Tokyo Olympics appear to be a go, and I expect we’ll see some kind of a flagship RF mount camera body announcement.
According to my source it will have a pop up flash but it is directed in the photographers direction and if you press the shutter button the flash sprays liquid hand sanitizer in your face. If you dislike the idea of doing it manually you can activate "automatic sensor cleaning" and it happens every time you set the power switch to "off".

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I wonder what they can possibly do in the segment above the R5. More Mega pixels for landscape photography? or faster FPS for action/sports? Better low light performance...or all three.
they could fix the overheating for 8k video, but since they have a different line for that, I doubt that will be enough.

(personally I have an R6 and the autofocus is such an improvement over the 6d...next: RF glass)

A high-res body with "IBIS gen 2" would be very interesting; it probably has limited video modes and/or none that are full-frame. On the contrary, I am skeptical if the RF 1DX equivalent has IBIS at all because there is so little to be gained and much to be lost (battery life, size, heat, weight) for the purposes of a body like that, but there is no reason that body couldn't have fantastic 4k oversampled video that's even better than the 1DX III (particularly if they up the sensor to 24 MP). Then in fall 2022 or spring 2023 you get the R5 MKII with either IBIS 2 or 2a or 3 and generationally-improved video capabilities (i.e. significantly less heat/recycle limitations).

While I'm at it, if they're going to release a cheaper full-frame than the RP, AND an R-ish body above the RP, then to me that means the APS-C body must be the enthusiast body (7D replacement) everyone is clamoring for. To me that means a similar sensor to the 90D with an R6-like feature set, but R5 weather sealing.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
I would hope that keep the compact format of the RP for its replacement, I find it a huge plus in my camera bag and the ergonomics of the current RP are fine. Upgrade the sensor and the EVF, and put a lock on the mode dial (similar to what the 5D3 or 5D4 have), and a possibility for a grip with vertical controls and 2 batteries would be nice.

Upvote 0

DJPatte

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Jul 10, 2020
Sweden

After using my R5's a couple of months I actually DO think they can and will improve the auto focus quite a bit.
Better equipment pushes the borders for what we are trying to achieve and I’m constantly throwing myself into situations where the eye and face detection isn’t sufficient - horse and bicycle riders with helmets AND goggles, far away in a messy forest for example. Half of my framing time can consist in trying to tap in the focus and then, when it kicks in it might take one or half of a second of reframing, and in a split second, the subject is gone. Did I get it? Sure. Am I satisfied? No, I missed a lot as well.
Some kind of complementary initial focus system is bound to come, a specially for the low light situations. And I’m really looking forward to it :))

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If this is really what they are going to release in 2021, Canon are simply going to wipe the floor with Sony, Nikon and Panasonic, especially with all the lenses now on the roadmap.

I fancy an R5 "s" with 90MP (and options for full frame capture at lower resolutions, an even higher resolution EVF, burst speed around 10fps, better battery life, and video features either kept to a minium or completely removed. I think that's a realistic possibility. Unfortunately what they *won't* do, is to fit a more versatile S1-style tilting/articulated rear screen. Which is a pity, but not a deal breaker.

Upvote 0
Still waiting for that hybrid camera or at least something that is a C70 with full frame sensor.

At the moment there is still no reliable camera that can take full advantage of RF lenses for video. R5 is probably closest to that, but without C-Log update and overheating unpredictability I can't imagine making that jump.

Upvote 0
There will be a big price gap between the EOS RP replacement and the EOS R6 at $2499. I have been told a second camera will fit between these two bodies. It won’t be an “EOS R Mark II”.

Really wondering what this camera could be. Is it maybe a EOS R Mark II but with a new naming scheme? I know, I'm probably one of the few (most people want R5/6 now) who'd actually be interested in a successor to the R, but it fits my needs perfectly and I love it. The real flaw to me is the fps in continuous shooting and frames with silent shutter... It would be really nice if they fix this and bring it out a successor, maybe with a better auto-focus or/ and a slight bump in MP.

But "between RP and R6"? This rumor really leaves me a bit baffled.

Upvote 0
A second body above the EOS RP replacement

Priced between the RP and the R6, but not an R Mark II. Does that mean "not in the R price range", or "similar in price to R but a completely new model like 'RQ' "?

Current retail prices in USD for these models:
  • EOS RP body: $999.99
  • EOS R body: $1,799.00
  • EOS R6 body: $2,499.00

Upvote 0
I can fathom them keeping the body shapes relatively the same for production line continuity and moving away from the R and RP shapes. Like you and I, it's whats inside that counts ;)
Canon doesn't need to produce more at current time - have large enough range already and
only thing that is missing from their line up & Nikon is a pro ML camera, e.g., R1 or Nikon Z9, etc.

With a contracting camera market may be sensible for Canon to do less in terms of no of active camera models be it compact, APS ML and RF ML (APS & FF) and have smaller range of cameras and leave the rumored updates for Gen 3 in 2022 onwards

• Sad
Upvote 0