The next major firmware updates for the EOS R5 and EOS R6 will come in Q1 of 2021 [CR2]

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
As a longtime Canon user it still irks me that 1080p 120fps wasn't included at launch, now we continuously wait. Canon doesn't make it easy to be their customer sometimes.

As a long time Canon user I wasn’t even aware it wasn’t included until I read posts from people expressing disappointment that it wasn’t added.

Strange days indeed. Most peculiar mama.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I heart people like you. No one here has self pity and I use my gear most days of every week, that doesn’t mean people like myself can’t be sick of the company that has more empty promises than Joe Biden and Trump have lies. You should come out and do riot coverage someday and get in the middle of antifa and proud boys like I do. It would just be nice to get what was said to be delivered on all of our thousands of dollars of purchases that was said to be delivered in and or around November. Hell if it wasn’t for Craig and the work he does no one would keep canon accountable. So to mr crab ass YL maybe don’t inject your thoughts into a conversation being critical of others who are having fun. Leave you Chuck Schumer ass in bed.

Interesting how I was posting about comments generally and you responded with whatever this was. If being irritated by people responding with inchoerent rants to a list of improvements coming soon qualifies me, then I'm a mr crab ass, alrighty.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Anybody else get a sense that we have somebody with multiple accounts here? Some people "influence." Some just annoy.

Children get angry when they don't get their wishes filled quickly enough. Grownups understand that solving problems and providing practical solutions takes a wee bit more effort and time than complaining.

Having people working at home instead of as in-person teams, having shifts disrupted, and so many other scheduling issues affected by a global pandemic means nothing?

Ok, you have mask and restriction fatigue. So does the rest of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I heart people like you. No one here has self pity and I use my gear most days of every week, that doesn’t mean people like myself can’t be sick of the company that has more empty promises than Joe Biden and Trump have lies. You should come out and do riot coverage someday and get in the middle of antifa and proud boys like I do. It would just be nice to get what was said to be delivered on all of our thousands of dollars of purchases that was said to be delivered in and or around November. Hell if it wasn’t for Craig and the work he does no one would keep canon accountable. So to mr crab ass YL maybe don’t inject your thoughts into a conversation being critical of others who are having fun. Leave you Chuck Schumer ass in bed.

Keep Canon accountable? No one ever promised you more than what you have today, in November or otherwise. If the R5 with Clog1 isn't sufficient for your work, there are a plethora of cinema cameras that are. That said, I bet it's more than sufficient and you are just whining, judging by the tone of your post. The quality being put out by the R5 in existing modes is so far beyond what was possible in a similar camera 5 years ago that your output should be immensely better than what you were doing then, if you have the slightest clue about what you're doing, even with the same glass you had then.

I would love to have the rumored features too but it's ridiculous to be *angry* as you are about lacking them.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Interesting how I was posting about comments generally and you responded with whatever this was. If being irritated by people responding with inchoerent rants to a list of improvements coming soon qualifies me, then I'm a mr crab ass, alrighty.

I see your point. Right there with you....

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Keep Canon accountable? No one ever promised you more than what you have today, in November or otherwise. If the R5 with Clog1 isn't sufficient for your work, there are a plethora of cinema cameras that are. That said, I bet it's more than sufficient and you are just whining, judging by the tone of your post. The quality being put out by the R5 in existing modes is so far beyond what was possible in a similar camera 5 years ago that your output should be immensely better than what you were doing then, if you have the slightest clue about what you're doing, even with the same glass you had then.

I would love to have the rumored features too but it's ridiculous to be *angry* as you are about lacking them.

So much this. I expected nothing more than what it came off the shelf with and to anyone without an overinflated sense of entitlement that’s all Canon is ‘obligated’ to provide.

Of course I’d expect them to correct non-working features, but any additional features are a bonus and I’m grateful to have them when and if they arrive. If they don’t I won’t complain about it because I knew what I was buying when I CHOSE to make my purchase.

Do people buy cars and then complain that the manufacturer doesn’t add additional features once they drive them off the lot? I can’t imagine someone buying a Corvette and then bashing Chevy for not adding features available in the Mustang after they brought it home.

I still can’t believe people behave this way but the sense of entitlement these days is off the chart of what I once thought imaginable. It’s mind-blowing and disappointing at the same time, and it’s visible everywhere you look nowadays - at least in the US...

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Apparently along with the rise in positive Covid-19 tests, general crankiness, self-pity, and ingratitude are surging. Wow, what a reaction, so far, to a nice set of responses to requests being announced.

Take the gear you have and get out and take some photos and/or video of people who are dealing with real-world issues. Or just get some sunshine and fresh air if you are worried that what you have wouldn't do them justice because of how crippled and backward your gear is.

Happy Festival Season, all! And watch out for falling Snowflakes!

seems to be.. I've certainly been following that advice, life has been stressful for many reasons, but find myself wanting to go take pics and take some time to enjoy it vs the rest of life's stresses. While I would love to see some of the additional features, I'm pretty stoked figuring out where limits are on the R5.. some stuff that was near impossible previously for me is now possible and that's a win! (like planes at night)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Anybody else get a sense that we have somebody with multiple accounts here? Some people "influence." Some just annoy.
Someone must have stumbled into a trolls nest and disturbed the poor critters. With how well Canon's newest products are performing, they are starved for things to critize!

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I am tired of unfulfilled promises from Canon. I hope Apple will get into large sensor cinema camera business and put an end to feeble attempts of dinasaur mechanical engineering companies to produce digital cameras that market demands.
Ah yes, Apple. The pinnacle of providing the customers with the maximum of value and software updates that disappoint NOBODY! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
So much this. I expected nothing more than what it came off the shelf with and to anyone without an overinflated sense of entitlement that’s all Canon is ‘obligated’ to provide.[..]

I agree with the sentiment, but I would rephrase it as 'does what it says on the box'. There have been instances where companies say "Supports foo!!!(*)" on the box and the asterisk says "Provided by future firmware update". In that case I would feel entitled to having a firmware update with that feature. Buying an AV-receiver about 6 years ago would've put you in that situation, DTS:X support required waiting half a year for a firmware update for pretty much every brand.

For things not mentioned on the box, I've been burnt too many times by that. Canon has a good track record so far when it comes to implementing what they promise, but they take their sweet time. I think it took more than 6 months to rollout the promised 24p update across the affected cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I agree with the sentiment, but I would rephrase it as 'does what it says on the box'. There have been instances where companies say "Supports foo!!!(*)" on the box and the asterisk says "Provided by future firmware update". In that case I would feel entitled to having a firmware update with that feature. Buying an AV-receiver about 6 years ago would've put you in that situation, DTS:X support required waiting half a year for a firmware update for pretty much every brand.

For things not mentioned on the box, I've been burnt too many times by that. Canon has a good track record so far when it comes to implementing what they promise, but they take their sweet time. I think it took more than 6 months to rollout the promised 24p update across the affected cameras.

Agree - if it was promised from the beginning the by all means. That really hasn’t been the case with all the whining about the R5 though, has it.

Most of it has been akin to buying a 100-400 and then complaining that it isn’t a 200-600...

Upvote 0
So much this. I expected nothing more than what it came off the shelf with and to anyone without an overinflated sense of entitlement that’s all Canon is ‘obligated’ to provide.

Of course I’d expect them to correct non-working features, but any additional features are a bonus and I’m grateful to have them when and if they arrive. If they don’t I won’t complain about it because I knew what I was buying when I CHOSE to make my purchase.

Do people buy cars and then complain that the manufacturer doesn’t add additional features once they drive them off the lot? I can’t imagine someone buying a Corvette and then bashing Chevy for not adding features available in the Mustang after they brought it home.

I still can’t believe people behave this way but the sense of entitlement these days is off the chart of what I once thought imaginable. It’s mind-blowing and disappointing at the same time, and it’s visible everywhere you look nowadays - at least in the US...

You make really good points, but I think the person was trying to express frustration at the idea of blatantly silly oversights and omissions. Yes, Canon has every right to decide what features are in their products and we the consumers have the right to buy or not buy. However, I think the frustration is at least partially justified when you have artificial overheat timers, 4k/120p but not 1080/120p (or even 180 or 240p), and things of that nature.

I think we can all understand how annoying it can be when a product is 85% what you wanted, but the company just held off on that last 15% for seemingly no reason. Now you're more or less stuck because you want to upgrade but it's difficult and expensive to switch ecosystems.

And this is not unique to Canon, of course. It's a problem across the tech industry, Apple probably being one of the most egregious offenders. Then we the consumer "technically" have choice but the companies know they have us by the gonads.

Anyway, not taking sides, just throwing in my two cents.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Agree - if it was promised from the beginning the by all means. That really hasn’t been the case with all the whining about the R5 though, has it.

Most of it has been akin to buying a 100-400 and then complaining that it isn’t a 200-600...

The 1080/120 was somewhat committed to by Canon, but that is the problem with these quasi official announcements. Even this rumour is CR2 after all. From the Japan Canon site:

Regarding the content under consideration for firmware upgrade

• Supports full HD / 120P recording size
  • Added low bitrate mode to RAW and IPB for all resolutions and frame rates
  • Canon Log 3

Upvote 0