Will the Canon EOS R5s come with a pixel shift like feature? [CR2]

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Even my 15TB NAS twitches at the thought of these file sizes!

As I said here once, if I ever actually filled a 1 TB CFE card, having no second card to swap in to continue would be the BEGINNING of my problems. My NAS has 12 TB capacity right now, I have disks on the way that will either bump that to 18 or 24 depending on how I decide to do it (I pretty much have to start over if I decide I want to go without a "hot spare").

Upvote 0
I've had different pixel shift implementations. The S1R I had was awesome with this. 187 megapixel files that really edited like 187 files (for better or worse). They were scrunched together in camera. The sony version was a hassle, needing processing on the computer, and it seemed to never work right. Where the Panasonic would tolerate some subject movement, the Sony would fail even if the subject were locked down and you were using a tripod.

So however useful this new Canon version will eventually be will be determined by the quality of execution. If it requires Canon's desktop software, I'm out. If it's 3/4s as good as the S1R, I'm in.

Upvote 0
What is the downside for being able to change the fps of the electronic shutter?
I don't see one. I assume that the electronic shutter has a minimum speed based on the video rate so 24fps minimum but with full sensor read (not just DCI etc) it comes down to 20 fps. If you mean why hasn't Canon included a lower fps for eshutter then I don't know.
Storage and review time is the only downside for 20fps otherwise enjoy 20fps :cool:

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Are you basing this on something other than your opinion? I respect your reporting on rumors, but I don't have a lot of confidence in your knowledge of what would or would not be "an economic misstep" for Canon.

Do you think there is talk/development of such a camera he isn't reporting?

Such a camera dilutes the R5 market, reduces the near-term sales of RF glass, and in general slows the shift to the RF mount by Canon shooters. You will never see another such EF body, and you will never see another EF pro body once the RF version is released. There also won't be an EF high-res body after this discussed camera is released, and I'm fairly confident the 90D will be the last EF DX body. In other words, we are not at a juncture where there will never be a new EF body of any kind. And as a result, you will never see a new EF lens, either. There is nothing wrong with the gear that's out there for you to keep shooting for many years, but if you have a GAS itch, it's going to RF mount (or possibly, but unlikely, M mount) moving forward, period.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If 5D Mark IV sells then Canon will make 5D Mark V.
That is how they roll.
It makes no sense to discontinue making things that sell well.
What is surprising to me is how little the 5Div has dropped in price over the last year or two. One thing is to keep milking as much profit for people unwilling to move to mirrorless but there are more and more second hand ones available from the people to have moved to mirrorless reducing new sales. Great camera but 4+ year old technology.

The question is whether a 5Dv will sell well (or sell enough). Putting a R5 inards into a 5Dv case gives a bit more breathing space for thermal movement but - similar to the 1DXiii - the best AF will be when holding the camera at arms length via the rear LCD. Save some money on the EVF but offset that with pentaprism and AF sensor.

Upvote 0
R5 has IBIS so pixel shift could be added in firmware or through Magic Lantern
Magic Lantern stalled with the 5Diii and Digic 5+ which was released roughly 8 years ago
There have been Digic 6, 6+, 7, 8 and now X so 5 generations later. It would be great if the open source community could reverse engineer the Digic X but Canon let the engineers loose with the current features compared to the available horsepower in the Digic 5+.
Magic Lantern could open up a few new features but not amazing developments. 3rd party thermal solutions will be the game changer for unlimited video on the R5 but the list of missing bits is relatively small.
Canon could easily add pixel shift in firmware though. If there are ever to do it, it will be in the next R5/R6 firmware release. More useful for the R6 I think given the small resolution but pixel shift for the R5 works well, it could impact the R5s sales.

Upvote 0
You do realise Apple has higher end 12 and 16 core M1x coming for their MBPros
There will be >8 cores coming but I think that they will be reserved for the Mac Pro and not so much the 16" MBpro. Given the performance increase for the M1 over the competition, I believe that the biggest difference for M2/16" MBpro will be memory shared for GPU/CPU. Happy to be wrong and have options for more cores but I don't think that that will be the major issue compared to screen space.
From Geekbench, the current maxed out 16" is 1095/6862 cf new 13" 1693/7309 so >+50%/+6% but that is only half the story as native video codecs will make the biggest difference.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
As I said here once, if I ever actually filled a 1 TB CFE card, having no second card to swap in to continue would be the BEGINNING of my problems. My NAS has 12 TB capacity right now, I have disks on the way that will either bump that to 18 or 24 depending on how I decide to do it (I pretty much have to start over if I decide I want to go without a "hot spare").
That’s what expansion units are for. Keep what you have and grow into much more space with greater redundancy.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
This might be the death knell for my R5. Seriously, since I'm not making wall-size prints, I don't need "north of 300 MP". I'll stick with my R5.

The R5 had more pixels than I really wanted, but the R6 had less (so I got the R5). But...this is still good news, because some people would go for a gigapixel if they could!

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
That’s what expansion units are for. Keep what you have and grow into much more space with greater redundancy.

This actually ought to hold me for quite some time. I'm not close to filling it even now, though the R5 did scare me a bit on a recent one-day trip to Yellowstone. Without much effort it exceeded multi-day trips elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Hi,
Have you heard confirmations about the fact that we won't see a Direct Print button? Or is it still a possibility given the fact that PrintingRumors now reports as almost a certainty a replacement for the Direct Print button on the Kodak PixPro AZ252?

Thanks
I liked and used the Direct Print button on my 1Ds IIIs and really like the way Canon integrate their printers and cameras. When I travel I take a little CP printer and give prints away, works wonders and is so easy to print direct from the camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Will be interesting to see how this one shapes up. I am not as concerned about the IBIS and focusing system as most of the work I do with the 5DSR is on tripod and shutter release (live view). My questions will have to do with higher ISO noise for night photography and lens ability to resolve to this high of resolution. Will be a killer landscape camera if the DR keeps up with the R5 and any ISO noise is tame.

Will also be interesting to see how if they improve the EVF for night photography (or if they can). It is still one of main reasons I like the OVF on my 5DSR.
Why would this be a 'killer' landscape camera, please? What does high mp have to do with landscape photography?

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Will this be enough "reach" for 7D users? Assuming that this is an upscaled M6ii 32mp APS-C sensor that does 14fps then I wonder what the frame rate would be for a R5s... Could be ~4fps mechanical and crop to suit if the bottle neck is the sensor read speed (90mp vs 32mp). If the read speed is faster then this could be quite interesting for birders etc. The write speed to the CFe card can handle 2600Mbps so that is no issue.
I suspect this will be more than a scaling of the 90D sensor. The AF on my R5 is definitely better than the AF on my 90D. I'm sure some of that is attributable to the DigicX, but I suspect there is also some new magic in the sensor that will be ported to the R5s. There is also the matter of read speed and once again, the R5 sensor is giant step beyond the 90D and the R5s will need all the read speed it can muster with that many pixels and particularly with pixel shift. Lastly, the R5 has almost a full stop more DR at base ISO than the 90D, so hard to imagine an R5s without the dual gain feature.

To your question, I think it will have enough reach for the 7D users, but they also seem to be a price conscious lot (to be polite), so they will still be yammering for their R7. They may eventually get it, but not before Canon fully tests the market to see if they will choke up for an R5s :). Personally, I would much rather see an upgraded M5 mark II (or whatever it might be called).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To your question, I think it will have enough reach for the 7D users, but they also seem to be a price conscious lot (to be polite), so they will still be yammering for their R7. They may eventually get it, but not before Canon fully tests the market to see if they will choke up for an R5s :). Personally, I would much rather see an upgraded M5 mark II (or whatever it might be called).
Agreed. I still think that the 7D/7Dii were unicorns: cheap, weather sealed, fast and AF from the 1D. My first DLSR was a 7D. Canon seems to be segmenting the market to better align features with price now. Happy to be wrong and I'm sure that a lot of people will rejoice :)

Upvote 0
What kind of improvement are you looking for? I only ask because I've had the opposite findings - my M50 and the R6 I used for a week or so seemed like a HUGE improvement in low light visibility. Especially if I turned off exposure compensation. Nice bright view, just needed to be sure to watch the exposure meter.

-Brian

I can compose via OVF with my 5DSR better than with EVF on R5 when shooting Milky Way. There is enough ambient light to see through the OVF. Not so much the EVF. I need to use a flashlight to frame and check my edges on the R5. Not always an option when shooting at night.

Upvote 0
Why would this be a 'killer' landscape camera, please? What does high mp have to do with landscape photography?
The ability to retain detail when printing large for one. The ability to crop and still have plenty of pixels for printing as well. If you don’t need them, don’t buy them.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0