The Canon EOS R5 scores Canon’s best sensor score at DxO

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
DxO has completed their review of the Canon EOS R5, and has scored the new 45mp sensor 95, which is the highest score ever for a Canon image sensor. I don’t think this should surprise anyone that has used the Canon EOS R5, as the image quality is stellar from the camera.
The sensors that are scoring higher than what Canon has put into its new mirrorless cameras are BSI image sensors, which can be found in the Nikon Z 7, and Z 7 II along with the Sony A7R III and A7R IV. However, DxO has found that Canon has closed the gap considerably.
From DxO:
As for sensor performance, the EOS R5 sensor represents a high watermark for Canon. The maximum dynamic range is competitive with the best in class, and the R5 sensor offers a useful advantage at some crucial ISO settings over its rivals. It also has excellent color and...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Yeah, now we need Lightroom to get those camera matching profiles ready so that we can unleash the beast. The adobe profiles are useless. At least those from colorfidelity are pretty good.
Agreed! having now used the R5 in a variety of lighting situations the Adobe profiles really are useless in most situations. I also have the color fidelity profiles but find they are still not as good as the profiles available in Canon’s DPP

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

nikkito

Argentine Photojournalist
Agreed! having now used the R5 in a variety of lighting situations the Adobe profiles really are useless in most situations. I also have the color fidelity profiles but find they are still not as good as the profiles available in Canon’s DPP
In certain lighting situations, the colors were not that great. And it makes you feel this might have to be because of the profiles, specially when you compare it to the colors you get with dpp.
Talking about useless.... dpp it's really bad.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I’ve even struggled using my own ColorChecker profiles. They seem to always lift shadows and the colors doesn’t look quite right. I edited a few thousand files from the R and went straight on the R5 files and it struggled, wasn’t all too happy... I don’t have a computer now, so will be exciting to see if anything has changed in Lr. At least one update I haven’t done.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

nikkito

Argentine Photojournalist
I’ve even struggled using my own ColorChecker profiles. They seem to always lift shadows and the colors doesn’t look quite right. I edited a few thousand files from the R and went straight on the R5 files and it struggled, wasn’t all too happy... I don’t have a computer now, so will be exciting to see if anything has changed in Lr. At least one update I haven’t done.

It happened to me too many times to not be happy with the colors of the r5. Specially with the red/yellow/orange tones.
That's why i'm so impatient waiting for the camera matching profiles.

But apparently it's not guaranteed. The 1D X iii still doesn't have them. And the rp also not.

Upvote 0
Can someone help shed some light for me on focus problems that I have been experiencing on my R5. Unlike my 5dmkiii and 5dsr, the R5 sensor doesn't have those crosspoint focus points and somehow uses the entire sensor giving 6000 or thereabouts points. When shooting products, I will select a high contrast focus point that I want to target and I get the red square. It won't focus on it, I have to use the stick or touchscreen and fiddle with 5-10 different spots until focus finally registers. on my DSLR's boom, nail focus every time. autofocus works fine but doesn't always choose the most desirable part of product to focus on as depth of field is critical and usually picks the closest surface to the camera which isnt always best. other autofocus uses like people and eyes etc all work great. So is this just a limiting factor or the R5 sensor, it isnt as effective as the DSLR specific crosspoints?

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
It happened to me too many times to not be happy with the colors of the r5. Specially with the red/yellow/orange tones.
That's why i'm so impatient waiting for the camera matching profiles.

But apparently it's not guaranteed. The 1D X iii still doesn't have them. And the rp also not.
Do color correction. Once you try it you will never go back. Beats any "factory" setting from Adobe etc. with a mile.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Can someone help shed some light for me on focus problems that I have been experiencing on my R5. Unlike my 5dmkiii and 5dsr, the R5 sensor doesn't have those crosspoint focus points and somehow uses the entire sensor giving 6000 or thereabouts points. When shooting products, I will select a high contrast focus point that I want to target and I get the red square. It won't focus on it, I have to use the stick or touchscreen and fiddle with 5-10 different spots until focus finally registers. on my DSLR's boom, nail focus every time. autofocus works fine but doesn't always choose the most desirable part of product to focus on as depth of field is critical and usually picks the closest surface to the camera which isnt always best. other autofocus uses like people and eyes etc all work great. So is this just a limiting factor or the R5 sensor, it isnt as effective as the DSLR specific crosspoints?

I do not have the problem you’re describing. I use my thumb and drag the focus point where I want it and there you go. I haven‘t had a problem getting the selection I choose in focus at all.

That is, when I’m not using AEAF...

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016

If it’s with the 100mm macro, it’s the lens. I stopped shooting products with it. I don’t need macro and went with the 100-400ii.

Two work arounds I used were; just grab the manual focus ring and twist it a bit if AF gives up - this resets it and lets it try again. Or, enable focus peaking and manually focus.

That’s the only scenario I ever experienced AF issues with. Drove me bonkers.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0