Show your Bird Portraits

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Brown Creeper (I think) doing its thing (creeping up a tree like a downy woodpecker) in a gentle rain this (cloudy) morning; 5DMkIII + 100-400 II @ 400 + 1.4 TC; ISO 3200; f/8 @ 1/125sec.

I am not a 'birder' and would never have reached a tentative ID for this bird without noticing that its beak is slighty curved (narrowing down the choices some)

5D3_0246 picasa crop - Copy.JPG

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Brown Creeper (I think) doing its thing (creeping up a tree like a downy woodpecker) in a gentle rain this (cloudy) morning; 5DMkIII + 100-400 II @ 400 + 1.4 TC; ISO 3200; f/8 @ 1/125sec.

I am not a 'birder' and would never have reached a tentative ID for this bird without noticing that its beak is slighty curved (narrowing down the choices some)

View attachment 194897
There is only one species of "creepers" in North America. You hardly can mistake the ID for this one.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
OK - I looked down the front on the 100-500 (which was pointed straight up) and slowly tilted it slightly left and slightly right. Yes, there was a noticeable movement of some elements in view - not by a lot, but noticeable. And there was no sound when they did it. I certainly didn't shake it to test any further, as it shows that there is some normal free floating of the IS elements when not in use (I assume). And my photos are superb with this lens and I've had no problems at all with it. So I guess my advice to you is: "Smile, relax, and enjoy one of the best lightweight tele-zooms ever made!" :)

Thank you, usern4cr!!!

If this is the case, I definitely have one with the elements too loose. Only gently tilting my lens from side to side, that inner tube with the elements audibly thumps against the barrel. That could explain why I'm seeing so much jitter when I'm shooting bursts.

Back it goes!

I know this isn't the right thread to go into much detail, but I wasn't sure it was worth starting a new thread for what is probably a defect. However, one reason Canon Rumors has value is because, in this age when we cannot examine high-end gear before purchasing, or simply go to a shop to compare what we have to others, we can only reach out and ask other owners, several of whom are posting now in this thread.

So, while it may seem humorous or anxiety provoking to some who don't want to hear about defective gear, I think CR does get more visits because we can ask other members questions about how to use gear--and whether it might be having problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
If this is the case, I definitely have one with the elements too loose. Only gently tilting my lens from side to side, that inner tube with the elements audibly thumps against the barrel. That could explain why I'm seeing so much jitter when I'm shooting bursts.

Back it goes!
Based on you wanting to send off your lens for repair, I went ahead and re-tested my lens. It still moves only a little bit. When I put my ear to the lens and tilt it I can then hear a very soft sound when the lens stops moving. I don't know if this is what you're calling an "audible thump". Keep in mind that I'm being very gentle doing the tilt and only enough so that the lens moves. I'm sure my motion is nothing compared to the lens traveling in a car / backpack / plane.

If there are others out there with a RF 100-500L it might help if you do the same test and give some additional feedback to YuengLinger before he sends his lens off for repair. I'd be interested in hearing what others say about this as well. I would like to mention to you (YuengLinger) that you mentioned that the results are still fine - that leads me to think that you might not have a problem after all, because if the lens IS isn't working correctly then at 500mm you'd probably have some serious shake in your image since IBIS may not have the travel to compensate for such a long telephoto handheld shot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks! I followed CPS's suggestion to try the same type of shot with my 70-200mm. And I do see a similar kind of jittering of the image, but not as noticeable as with the 100-500mm, presumably because of the shorter focal length.

Did you try, by any chance, looking down through the front element into the barrel to see how much the inner elements shift about? If you have time! Thanks again!

(I should probably take a video of it to show here and to send to CPS tomorrow.)
I tried to figure out if there is any difference between my and your systems - didn't find any.
Here is a short reading how it works: https://www.eos-magazine.com/articles/EOS_feature/canon-image-stabilisation.html
Note this particular sentence:
" When IS is switched on and the shutter button is partially depressed, the stabiliser lens group, which is locked in a central position when not active, is released. Then two gyro sensors start up and detect the speed and angle of any camera movement. "
Here is my logical explanation:
There is one small problem in my system and it's the same with the (single) Sigma lens that I use: If you turn your camera off before turning off the VR (IS in your case) you may hear some noise in the lens later. The reason is that the VR (IS) group of lenses is not locked in central position because you just shut the power off. They need that power to be locked in "central position" and you can use the lens without the IS engaged! In other words: turn off the IS before you turn off your camera. To turn it ON the sequence is opposite. For my system (Nikon) they say that it is not going to damage your lens but to return it to "normal" function you have to turn off the VR, turn the camera ON and than turn the VR ON again. With Sigma it's more scary - they say you may damage your lens if you don't follow the right sequence...
I'm pretty sure in the Canon system it works similarly (if not identical!) - read the instructions that are coming with the lens.
And as usern4cr say: "Smile, relax, and enjoy one of the best lightweight tele-zooms ever made!"

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I tried to figure out if there is any difference between my and your systems - didn't find any.
Here is a short reading how it works: https://www.eos-magazine.com/articles/EOS_feature/canon-image-stabilisation.html
" When IS is switched on and the shutter button is partially depressed, the stabiliser lens group, which is locked in a central position when not active, is released. Then two gyro sensors start up and detect the speed and angle of any camera movement. "
There is one small problem in my system and it's the same with the (single) Sigma lens that I use: If you turn your camera off before turning off the VR (IS in your case) you may hear some noise in the lens later. The reason is that the VR (IS) group of lenses is not locked in central position because you just shut the power off. They need that power to be locked in "central position" and you can use the lens without the IS engaged! In other words: turn off the IS before you turn off your camera. To turn it ON the sequence is opposite. For my system (Nikon) they say that it is not going to damage your lens but to return it to "normal" function you have to turn off the VR, turn the camera ON and than turn the VR ON again. With Sigma it's more scary - they say you may damage your lens if you don't follow the right sequence...
I'm pretty sure in the Canon system it works similarly (if not identical!) - read the instructions that are coming with the lens.
And as usern4cr say: "Smile, relax, and enjoy one of the best lightweight tele-zooms ever made!"
OK - Based on what you mentioned, I turned the RF 100-500 lens stabilizer off, then attached it to the R5 (which is off), then turned on the R5, then turned on the lens stabilizer, looked around a bit with half-press focusing and half-press exposure, turned off the lens stabilizer, held the lens (& camera) vertically to do the "test" and the lens did NOT move at all. I turned off the R5, held the lens (& camera) vertically to do the "test" and the lens DID move just like before. I removed the lens, and re-tested the lens vertically. It still moved just the same. It still has the slight lens motion and very soft sound when stopping as I gently tilt it. So I have shown (for my R5 & lens) that it will lock the IS lens steady if connected to the R5 and the R5 is ON. With the R5 off (with the lens connected) or the lens removed there is no power to keep the IS lenses locked and they are free to gently move.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Oh! BTW if you are not sure that one of the stabilizing elements is not locking properly - turn off (properly!) the IS. Put your combo on tripod and take a shot at what ever target you want. If the photo is not good - return the lens! For me it would mean that one of the elements is not locked in the exact "central position"!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
OK - Based on what you mentioned, I turned the RF 100-500 lens stabilizer off, then attached it to the R5 (which is off), then turned on the R5, then turned on the lens stabilizer, looked around a bit with half-press focusing, turned off the lens stabilizer, turned off the R5, removed the lens, and re-tested the lens vertically. The result? - exactly the same. It still has the slight lens motion and very soft sound when stopping as I gently tilt it. So it made no difference as far as I can test the lens. And I always have the lens stabilizer switch in the on position for all my lenses and have never worried about this (I've never known it could be an issue).

Now I'd *really* like to hear what others think about this issue. If I'm supposed to turn off lens stabilization before turning off the R5 every time then I'd really like to know about it (it'll be a hassle but I'd rather do it if needed to protect my lenses).
As I already mentioned - I have no experience with Canon. Read the instructions coming with the lens. I don't actually understand this part: " turned off the lens stabilizer, turned off the R5, removed the lens, and re-tested the lens vertically" - is the lens attached to the camera? And is the IS turned on?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

Linked below is the user manual for the rf 100-500mm. It does say that the inner elements may "waver" and that this is not a defect. My rf 70-200mm wavers; but my rf 100-500mm bumps from side to side when I gently rock the lens in about the same way it gets rocked just by walking when carried in the field.

There is no mention in the manual of a sequence or ritual for turning off IS before turning off the camera, though it does say to turn the camera off before attaching the lens. I've never received a single new Canon lens that has the IS switch in the OFF position when unboxed, though I've seen postings saying the IS lenses should not be transported without turning IS off before detaching from the body. It may be true, but I'm not seeing it in the manuals for newer lenses, and Canon has never followed that advice with the lenses I've purchased from authorized dealers.

rf100-500f45-71lisusm-im-en.pdf (c-wss.com)

But, just to check, I tried what you suggested and there is no difference.

I don't want to return a good lens! While CPS told me that they won't have a copy to try hands on until tomorrow, the tech said that what I was describing, with the image in the EVF so jittery that the AF point seems to be jumping away from the subject during bursts, is not normal.

If other 100-500mm owners are not seeing this jumping of the image during bursts, that suggests mine is not right. How much is it jumping? That prairie warbler is probably about 4 or 5 inches long, including the tail. I was about 10 meters from it, and, while just standing still, the image of it in the EVF jumped enough for me to not be able to keep track of where the AF point was--I had to keep adjusting and guessing.

EDIT: I will contact CPS once again tomorrow before deciding to ship it back to where purchased. Hopefully they will be able to check with a copy while I'm on the phone, they way they can during more normal times! (Right now "only Mondays and Thursdays.")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
As I already mentioned - I have no experience with Canon. Read the instructions coming with the lens. I don't actually understand this part: " turned off the lens stabilizer, turned off the R5, removed the lens, and re-tested the lens vertically" - is the lens attached to the camera? And is the IS turned on?
I edited my post after you quoted it. I have now found that my R5 & lens will lock the IS lenses in center position only if 1) the lens is connected to the R5, and 2) the R5 is ON, and 3) the lens stabilizer switch is OFF. In all other (7) cases of 1):3) the IS lenses can move slightly as mentioned when held vertically and gently tilting the lens left/right.

If anyone else (maybe YuengLinger) would care to verify what I just mentioned here, it would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
" I edited my post after you quoted it. I have now found that my R5 & lens will lock the IS lenses in center position only if 1) the lens is connected to the R5, and 2) the R5 is ON, and 3) the lens stabilizer switch is OFF."
OK, now it makes sense, it's why I asked you if the lens is attached to the camera and if the IS is OFF: the lens needs an energy for what ever actions it performs (I don't include the manual focusing off course) and it takes it from the camera. If the IS is ON it will do what it has to do - compensating the movement of the lens...

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
" EDIT: I will contact CPS once again tomorrow before deciding to ship it back to where purchased. Hopefully they will be able to check with a copy while I'm on the phone, they way they can during more normal times! (Right now "only Mondays and Thursdays.")
I think it's the right move. There are many variables that may apply to what you are seeing (like the type of the AF you are using, wind, changing light and contrast e.t.c.). On other hand you already mention that the results are "fine". If just one single element is not locked down when IS is OFF I have no idea what kind of photos you will get - at least you should see some (or severe!) decentering. If the IS is ON - should be the same (but I'm not an expert in this - just following my logic).

Upvote 0

Mod_1

CR Pro
Dec 11, 2018
I know this isn't the right thread to go into much detail, but I wasn't sure it was worth starting a new thread for what is probably a defect. However, one reason Canon Rumors has value is because, in this age when we cannot examine high-end gear before purchasing, or simply go to a shop to compare what we have to others, we can only reach out and ask other owners, several of whom are posting now in this thread.
So, while it may seem humorous or anxiety provoking to some who don't want to hear about defective gear, I think CR does get more visits because we can ask other members questions about how to use gear--and whether it might be having problems.
This is not the right thread for discussing defective gear. So, either start a new one or add your comments to the one you have started about cancelling your order for the 100-500mm for the obvious reasons that you are burying your discussion in an inappropriate thread where it will be missed by many and you are taking a long-established running thread off topic.

Upvote 0

MikeD67

CR Pro
Oct 20, 2020
Here are two of many, camera and lens were in the house, nest was on fence, across drive, so they were never disturbed. watched from eggs to leaving nest, the stronger of the four ended up evicting two of the four. Watched the survivors eventually leave and abandon the nest.

Attachments

• IMG_4941 5x7w.jpg
    IMG_4941 5x7w.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_4961 5x7w.jpg
    IMG_4961 5x7w.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Here are two of many, camera and lens were in the house, nest was on fence, across drive, so they were never disturbed. watched from eggs to leaving nest, the stronger of the four ended up evicting two of the four. Watched the survivors eventually leave and abandon the nest.
The second one is quite a wonderful "Happy Family Portrait" :)

Upvote 0