Canon cameras that I’m told are coming in 2021

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I don't see the R7 at $3K. If you think of the R6 as the mirrorless continuation of the 6D line and the R7 as the mirrorless continuation of the 7D line, the 7D prices at introduction have always been less than the 6D's. I don't see $3K as competitive pricing for a pro-level APS-C body.

Agreed. They would have to come up with some wacky RF-S-only lenses that allowed you to do professional things on that body you couldn't do on full-frame, because at $3k it makes more sense to buy full-frame and extenders if you're after reach, and full-frame does most other things better (and RP/successor is small enough for size).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Agreed. They would have to come up with some wacky RF-S-only lenses that allowed you to do professional things on that body you couldn't do on full-frame, because at $3k it makes more sense to buy full-frame and extenders if you're after reach, and full-frame does most other things better (and RP/successor is small enough for size).
$2399 is my hunch, I'm usually wrong about these things so.... (However I did buy a 7D when it was within a year after launch for $1649) What was the Mk2? $1799?

Still, I won't draw too many comparisons, very different animals. Sharing a body number and crop factor isn't enough similarity for pricing comparisons being that there is such a gap between releases. The 5D and R5 lines were closer together and have a lot in common so those price points make more sense.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
1DX III and C500 II were announced in 2019 but did not really arrive until 2020.
RP, R5, R6, C300 III, C70, T8i, 90D, and M50 II all came out in 2020.

Some of the DSLRs you've mentioned probably required less R&D than new RF cameras. E.g. the xxxD line inherits a lot from the xxD line, e.g. AFAIK the T8i inherited the 80D's sensor. New R1 & R7 will probably have all new sensors, and the R1 will probably stretch the MILC performance envelope a lot more than the M50 II.

Upvote 0
Canon has no choice if they want to stay solvent.

In 2012 ILCs used to ship more than 20.1 million units. 2019 it was less than 8.5 million. By 2025/2026 ILCs will not ship more than 6 million units annually.

I expect these lenses to have significant weight reduction improvements.
  • $14,299 Canon RF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM @ less than 2.9kg from 4.5kg
  • $14,299 Canon RF 600mm f/4L IS USM @ less than 2.8kg from from 3.05kg
Believe you me it's worth the $2,000 premium to carry lighter gear.

I really doubt much weight savings is possible on either the 400III or 600III after reading the engineering reports. The 500 and 800 are a different story. A 600 Rf DO is always possible I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I know this is off-topic, but I just wanted to let fellow Canon users know of a major problem if you are buying Canon equipment from Canada directly or through CPW and are also considering buying a (USA) Canon CarePAK for that equipment. I created a new thread just to discuss this topic:

If you have any comments on this, please put them in the newly created thread instead of in this one.
Enjoy your photography, & stay safe!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I dont expect RPmkii and Rmkii before end of 2022.
There will be no EOS R Mark II. It was mentioned too many times already.

People are only using it for clickbait on YouTube because it includes the EOS R naming and it is what some people wanted.
It is the same with Canon Log 3 or ALL-I codecs for the R6, Canon never promised anything like that.
False information spreads like Covid...

What we might expect instead is something "done better" as an entry-level camera, like a Nikon Z5, and it probably will not be delayed until 2022.
So IBIS retained, dual SD card slots retained as well, but with a different sensor that does not have the video specs or ISO sensitivity of the R6 and a cheaper LCD screen, etc. basically Canon's version of the Z5, but they are keeping the body designs unique unlike Sony/Nikon so it can be smaller and lighter than the R6.

And the other camera may use the same sensor as this camera, but no EVF and single card slot to make it the smallest lightest and cheapest FF camera yet and they can market this as the "new M50" for vloggers as well. Also, if they remove the IBIS from this model, that would mean reduced / no wobble with lens-only IS, and also smaller and cheaper wide-angle RF lenses could come at that point.

Bottom line is: both the R and RP will likely be going away (at some point, stock should last a fair amount of time) and these new RF-mount cameras clearly aiming under the R5 and R6 will be slightly different.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I have been told by the same source that the “EOS R1” will be shown off ahead of the Tokyo Olympics this summer.

Does anyone honestly believe at this point that there will be a Tokyo 2021 Olympiad? Countries have to have qualifying seasons to select team members to represent them. Those would need to be going on right now, but they're not being held.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Not gonna happen, but with the high-res body I'd love to see Canon abandon the 2:3 ratio and go 3:4 like MF cameras. Or 4:5 even. That 'full-frame' albatross has nothing to do with anything but maximizing image area on 35mm movie film stock. No film! Be free!

I'm pretty happy with a 3:2 sensor. I can crop to either 16:9 or 4:3 without loosing much. Cropping a 4:3 sensor to 16:9 (because that's what a LOT of screens are these days - both handheld devices and wall sized TVs and everything in between) loses significantly more.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0