Quad-Pixel AF and a global shutter coming in 2021?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Are Quad-Pixel AF and a global shutter coming in 2021 to the new flagship EOS R camera? It’s a strong possibility according to a good source.
Canon continues to develop their flagship EOS R system camera, a camera most of us have dubbed the EOS R1. The camera is reported to be shown to the world ahead of the Tokyo Summer Games which begin in July of this year.
One feature that will be coming to the camera according to a very solid source is a Quad-Pixel AF system. QPAF would improve autofocus accuracy no matter what orientation the subject or the camera is in.
The same source claims that there is a possibility that a global shutter will appear in the EOS R1. For those that don’t know, this would effectively remove rolling shutter when shooting video or stills in the electronic shutter mode. There are challenges to making this happen, but it is still on the table for the camera.
There has been no mention of sensor...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 2 users

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'd be surprised if the camera had 8K. The 1D body has always prioritized FPS, and 8K resolution would limit that.
Sure, but 20 is not too shabby in terms of FPS. And that's what the R5 does in electronic shutter mode. And it is just the minimum FPS to be expected of the R1, unless quad pixel AF sets them back in terms of throughput again.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nope, the R5 is capable of sustained 8K 30FPS RAW Video, so the performance is clearly there. So the question is rather whether they would sacrifice that for a global shutter which would be easier to implement with lower resolution.
If it came out with 8k capability they would most likely support downsampling to lower resolution RAWs in-camera.

I'd be surprised if the camera had 8K. The 1D body has always prioritized FPS, and 8K resolution would limit that.

Upvote 0
@dolina Your overly confident predictions don't held up well if this rumor is right. About the R1 not launching before 2024.

I repeat my previous post.

If something happened (or not) in the past, doesn't tell us what will happen in the future.
If the 'past' would tell us everything. Then we would never be surprised any more in the future? Yet we are constantly being surprised by rare events or the info that we didn't know.

I know we are on a rumors forum where we try to speculate. You appear very confident too me with your statements (other comments on the forum as well). The danger about that I think is that in reality, how much puzzle pieces do you really have of the whole puzzle (all variables that effect on this)? In fact you don't know how many puzzle pieces really exist. Just because you have a little bit of info doesn't mean you can predict the future.

Out of curiousity are you a stock trader?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
The RED Komodo does have a global shutter and the sensor is Canon-derived, so it is not impossible.

But in this case, it's definitely a much newer, more higher-end camera than the 1DX Mark III and the price will reflect that.
Is the Komodo sensor a 5DIV/R one as a APS-C one?

Global Shutter and ~30MP R1 would be insane!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Is the Komodo sensor a 5DIV/R one as a APS-C one?

Global Shutter and ~30MP R1 would be insane!
Some sources have claimed that it is a 6K 1.4x crop variant of the 8K R5 sensor.
That is why it has AF and an RF-mount and the pixel pitch seems to be the same as well.
So maybe a new 6K FF sensor with global shutter is possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Yes to QPAF. The DPAF II is very good, but if Canon has something better, excellent. Global shutter, the readout on the R5 is getting to be very fast. I actually wonder if you could speed the line by line read out up to the point where a true global shutter would not be all that necessary. I think it was ~5 years ago, I looked into this and line by line readout was taking ~1/20th to 1/40th of a second, hence there was a difference from when the top of the sensor was read to the bottom of the sensor. But the R5, I have not seen it estimated, but it has to be much, much faster read time.

As for sensor size, I am still expecting the R1 to follow the 1DX sensor size, maybe a small bump in resolution, but up to the point where it will support 8K, that would surprise me.

Upvote 0