Butterflies, Moths and Assorted Insects...

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well, I also prefer a macro lens for this kind of shots. The problem is that I don't like to change lenses in the field and most importantly: my macro lens was occupied by my daughter (plus one of my back up bodies) so I practically have no macro lens:unsure:.
Here you have few shots taken by my daughter (I'm posting with her permission!) - always hand-held and always in the field (windy or not...). BTW she doesn't think only the butterflies are beautiful:)!
Edited: I forgot to mention the lens - 105mm Sigma (macro)

View attachment 195282View attachment 195283View attachment 195284
She beats out her dad! Insects are fascinating.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
She beats out her dad! Insects are fascinating.
You just put two facts on the table! I'm happy she still has no interest for birds (actually she doesn't like my last photos of the White-rumped Shama in the Bird Portraits: "It just ate my model!!!":ROFLMAO:) - otherwise I could be eliminated from there too (sooner or later but first she has to learn how to sneak to the birds).

Upvote 0
These are my visitors to my yard. Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 100mm Macro.

Attachments

• BBC4F132-2CF0-4962-8C3C-754CDD11B65D.jpeg
    BBC4F132-2CF0-4962-8C3C-754CDD11B65D.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 199
  • A0453B54-810A-45F4-9CEA-3D528467DBA6.jpeg
    A0453B54-810A-45F4-9CEA-3D528467DBA6.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 202
  • 5DE9C503-2018-4604-908A-8931E3ABF305.jpeg
    5DE9C503-2018-4604-908A-8931E3ABF305.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi ISv.
Your daughter has taken some stunning shots, the plane of the focus on the first one is lovely, just falling oof at the tail.

Cheers, Graham.

Well, I also prefer a macro lens for this kind of shots. The problem is that I don't like to change lenses in the field and most importantly: my macro lens was occupied by my daughter (plus one of my back up bodies) so I practically have no macro lens:unsure:.
Here you have few shots taken by my daughter (I'm posting with her permission!) - always hand-held and always in the field (windy or not...). BTW she doesn't think only the butterflies are beautiful:)!
Edited: I forgot to mention the lens - 105mm Sigma (macro)

View attachment 195282View attachment 195283View attachment 195284

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hi ISv.
Your daughter has taken some stunning shots, the plane of the focus on the first one is lovely, just falling oof at the tail.

Cheers, Graham.
Hi Graham! Sorry for the late answer: I don't stop very often on this topic - only if I have some photos to share or just in rare cases when I'm curious what is going on over here:confused:. The plane of the focus is not something you can manage in the field at strong winds - you just spray and pray :)! It was really windy then and unfortunately it's also now... And even more unfortunate it could be similar in the next weekend. Another problem is that the insects are moving parts of their bodies... I have to ask her for more shots of that fly - I'm getting what she can't manage with her primitive programs in case of noise (and when it's windy you have much more noise: you need higher speeds - without sacrificing the DOF (higher ISO off course!). It means I'm doing the PP but only of the files that she choose to give me. Whatever, I can ask here for more photos to post here (she is posting a lot on Instagram). Not easy task because she is not a child - at 30! and she is very independent...

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi ISv.
Not to worry about late replies, it is a hobby, we have other things going on. Well, maybe not so much these days! As the shot was taken in the extreme conditions you describe then it is even more incredible!

Cheers, Graham.

Hi Graham! Sorry for the late answer: I don't stop very often on this topic - only if I have some photos to share or just in rare cases when I'm curious what is going on over here:confused:. The plane of the focus is not something you can manage in the field at strong winds - you just spray and pray :)! It was really windy then and unfortunately it's also now... And even more unfortunate it could be similar in the next weekend. Another problem is that the insects are moving parts of their bodies... I have to ask her for more shots of that fly - I'm getting what she can't manage with her primitive programs in case of noise (and when it's windy you have much more noise: you need higher speeds - without sacrificing the DOF (higher ISO off course!). It means I'm doing the PP but only of the files that she choose to give me. Whatever, I can ask here for more photos to post here (she is posting a lot on Instagram). Not easy task because she is not a child - at 30! and she is very independent...

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
You have to be able to change lenses in the field. It's not brain surgery. I guess though you might also need steady hands to clean your own sensors depending on where you live. But to double back, steady hands are required for macro work as well.
Yeah, there is no problem changing lenses in the field. But I don't like it and I don't like caring one or two more lenses in my backpack when hiking. Cleaning - I do wet cleaning to my backup camera (now used by my daughter) pretty often - it's D7200 and it's (like D600) getting dirty sensor in no time, especially when you are doing macros around blooming plants (as my daughter does) but it gets also some oil... Now I'm shooting D500 and don't have that problem. It's not just the lens: with the same lens I was wet cleaning D7200 at least 3 times/year. D500 is more than 1 year old and still no need of wet cleaning.
And finally: I go for birds, if you have the macro attached and at once an interesting bird pops up in front of you, how much time do you have to change the lens (I don't mean that rare ocasions when the bird stays on the same place untill you finish your cup of coffee)?!

Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I change the lenses several times and have no issues with the EOS R.
Two shots at the same area first with the Sigma 105 macro, second with the Laowa 15mm UWA macro:
View attachment 196069
1/1000s f/3.2 Iso 250
View attachment 196070

1/320s, Iso 250, f/?
Yesterday, my wife gently nudged me to view our newly blooming backyard crocuses. While I was attempting a few photos, a similar visiter approached.

Attachments

• Crocus and Bee.jpg
    Crocus and Bee.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0