The next Canon EOS R5 firmware update is coming soon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
If people can’t get a new camera, they definitely want some feature updates for the Canon EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS-1D X Mark III. Most of the talk I get about new firmware is for the EOS R5. Solid information about future EOS R6 and EOS-1D X Mark III feature updates haven’t been very fruitful.
Firmware v1.3.0 was supposed to be in the hands of external testers/reviewers some time in February, and I’ve been told by a couple of people that this has yet to happen. As we continue to navigate the pandemic, additional challenges and delays can obviously be expected.
I have been told that there are a couple of early April dealer events in regards to the new firmware in a couple of countries. This could be telling about the timeline for...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
A while ago, actually when the EOS R was released, I remember Canon said they wanted to update firmwares more often and with more features.
Yet, the EOS R got left out. They never even added an interval timer. Or, god forbid, a 4K mode without crop.
give us dual slot video recording and c log 3 and we are cool, well maybe not the camera....

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I found out that without the grip the LP-E6N battery behaves the same as LP-E6NH in the sense that:
1. It can be charged on camera (18W minimum USB Type-C Power Delivery compliant)
2. It can be used while camera is powered in the ON setting by a 45W minimum powerbank with USB Type-C Power Delivery compliant)
3. H+ mode works fine.

I have no idea about the grip but if I recall correctly you can mix one LP-E6NH with one LP-E6N. That way you will last twice with H+ speed. At least it's worth a shot.

LP-E6 batteries are out of the question but they are too obsolete anyway

Upvote 0

skp

5DIV, 7DII, 60D
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2014
I assume that the new codec part of this rumor just refers to making different flavors of h.264 and h.265 available (different bit depths and/or color sampling). I'd love to see them implement a codec that is better supported for hardware decoding by graphics cards, but I have to wonder if this is even possible. Wouldn't this still require different circuits in place on the hardware encoding chip in order enable the new codec variants? Has Canon ever done anything like this before by unlocking different codecs on an existing Digic chip?

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
"Sometimes it feels a bit weird having absolutely no shutter sound with the ES so maybe it would be nice to have an optional (very) quiet shutter emulation."

Yes, it's a pain in the a$$ when you accidentaly touch the button and find that you've shot 20+ shots of *nothing* because you were unaware that the shutter was firing. The flashing white outline that indicated shutter activity is pretty useless. It would be nice to have a choice of sounds available, and a choice of volume levels. Such a simple thing to fix in firmware.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
I found out that without the grip the LP-E6N battery behaves the same as LP-E6NH in the sense that:
1. It can be charged on camera (18W minimum USB Type-C Power Delivery compliant)
2. It can be used while camera is powered in the ON setting by a 45W minimum powerbank with USB Type-C Power Delivery compliant)
3. H+ mode works fine.

I have no idea about the grip but if I recall correctly you can mix one LP-E6NH with one LP-E6N. That way you will last twice with H+ speed. At least it's worth a shot.

LP-E6 batteries are out of the question but they are too obsolete anyway
Yeah, it’s not a huge deal. I just have LP-E6 batteries from my R/5D that if they are in the Grip I would hope that two would serve the same function of 1 E6NH . I’m no engineer but one can hope.

Upvote 0

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
I have dual R6's. As far as photo goes I'm very happy as of now. For video I'm hoping for All-I, and the ability to decouple the IBIS from lens stabilization. As sometimes I wish to only use lens stabilization for video. If we can get CLOG-3 all the better but the first two are my primary hopes/wishes. As far as the ALL-I, I recall hearing that Canon said they would make that change via firmware on the R6, so I'm hoping that this is still the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
I have dual R6's. As far as photo goes I'm very happy as of now. For video I'm hoping fo All-I, and the ability to decouple the IBIS from lens stabilization. As sometimes I wish to only use lens stabilization for video. If we can get CLOG-3 all the better but the first two are my primary hopes/wishes. As far as the ALL-I, I recall hearing that Canon said they would make that change via firmware on the R6, so I'm hoping that this is still the case.
The decoupling of IBIS from lens stabilization would be fantastic—I'm able to do this on my Lumix S1 and has allowed me to select IBIS on some lenses with poor IS.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
12fp/20fp when using the grip and regular LP batteries. Makes no sense why when I kill the two NH’s and have to step down to two of the regular LP batteries I get the 5Fps.

Record limit , 10 bit non-log also please
If the grip only uses one battery at a time (i.e. not parallel), which may well be the case, then it makes perfect sense to not exceed the peak current capability of the battery. Does the grip discharge both batteries equally, or one before the other? That should give you the answer.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Yeah, it’s not a huge deal. I just have LP-E6 batteries from my R/5D that if they are in the Grip I would hope that two would serve the same function of 1 E6NH . I’m no engineer but one can hope.
The R came with LP-E6N, the E6 is from before the 5Div days so if you bought your R used someone gave you a old battery that didn’t come with the R

Upvote 0