New feature firmware coming to the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS-1D X Mark III in the next couple of weeks [CR3]

The R5 HMDI 2.0 port can't be changed but using compression (Cinema lite) may allow the port to be used for external recording. Depends on the compression level. Currently, 4k60 at 340Mbps is handled. 5x compression for 8kraw would be >500Mbps so probably not but 4k/120 could meet the spec

Yep, its possible. I can't imagine the heat generated by chewing on all that data will be too good though.

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
As a photographer that doesn't use the video this is disappointing to hear. The animal eye focus tracks well in the VF but 9 out 10 shots I pull up on the computer are out of focus. It would be nice to see this fixed. I have combed thru the forums and been trying the various methods folks have offered up to others to resolve this issue such as higher shutter speeds and shutting off IS when doing so. Even when using a tripod I am getting back focus even though the animal tracking shows to be right on target in the EVF.. It would also be nice to use the Canon Connect App with the R5 without the app crashing it several times during use. The app is extremely sluggish and not very user friendly. Taking pictures in live view results in blacked out screens so you lose track of your subject. Also can't seem to override the single point focus setting through live view. Animal eye focus seems to be non-existent thru the app. It would also be nice to have the exposure compensation show up in a sub menu in the EVF just like they do with the focus options (when using the control ring on the lens).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Yes, YES! On the photo side, I would love to get more shooting speed options for electronic shutter. But seriously, there is a whole thread of great input from users...Canon could make some of them a reality and really add more value to the R5 compared to the new Sony A1.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Yep, its possible. I can't imagine the heat generated by chewing on all that data will be too good though.
Without the cards in the body, their heat isn't contributing to the thermal load. The processor will be working hard though for the compression but could be similar to 4KHQ work loads which gives very long external record times.

Upvote 0
As a photographer that doesn't use the video this is disappointing to hear. The animal eye focus tracks well in the VF but 9 out 10 shots I pull up on the computer are out of focus. It would be nice to see this fixed. I have combed thru the forums and been trying the various methods folks have offered up to others to resolve this issue such as higher shutter speeds and shutting off IS when doing so. Even when using a tripod I am getting back focus even though the animal tracking shows to be right on target in the EVF.. It would also be nice to use the Canon Connect App with the R5 without the app crashing it several times during use. The app is extremely sluggish and not very user friendly. Taking pictures in live view results in blacked out screens so you lose track of your subject. Also can't seem to override the single point focus setting through live view. Animal eye focus seems to be non-existent thru the app. It would also be nice to have the exposure compensation show up in a sub menu in the EVF just like they do with the focus options (when using the control ring on the lens).
My R5's eye-AF tracks well in the EVF but also focuses well in the files. Is it a lens problem?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Likely saving that for their flagship camera (R1)
entirely possible. It would assume a minimum 45mp sensor of course. That is the big question now as 1DX shooters don't need/want the extra resolution but competition from Sony/Nikon could be an issue. I don't understand why the A1 has >45mp though. Oversampling 8.1k to 8k seems to be a waste of processing resources and the extra mp doesn't add much.

Upvote 0
The R5 HMDI 2.0 port can't be changed but using compression (Cinema lite) may allow the port to be used for external recording. Depends on the compression level. Currently, 4k60 at 340Mbps is handled. 5x compression for 8kraw would be >500Mbps so probably not but 4k/120 could meet the spec

I don't think it works that way.

To do what you're suggesting you would need a recorder that could understand raw lite . Convert it to a video stream for the monitor and at the same time record it.

I think most recorders are just recording the video stream not decoding anything. They rely on the camera sending out a signal the monitor can understand.

The simplest thing would be for the USB port to send out a data signal that could be recorded to an USB drive. The same way the CFe card to USB adapters work but without the kludge of the adapter.

Upvote 0
What recorder would you use? At the very least you'd need HDMI 2.1 but SDI would be better. Do you want to spend more for a recorder than the camera?

Writing out the USB port would be nice.
Good question for the recorder but cinema lite could mean that external is possible through HDMI 2.0
I believe that Canon's announcement did include "Canon Cinema RAW light addition" so the compression could make it possible
The recorder should cost less than the CFe cards though :)

Upvote 0
I don't think it works that way.

To do what you're suggesting you would need a recorder that could understand raw lite . Convert it to a video stream for the monitor and at the same time record it.

I think most recorders are just recording the video stream not decoding anything. They rely on the camera sending out a signal the monitor can understand.

The simplest thing would be for the USB port to send out a data signal that could be recorded to an USB drive. The same way the CFe card to USB adapters work but without the kludge of the adapter.
Agreed that a monitor wouldn't be possible AFAIK. How does the current recorders manage 4k/60 - dropping alternative frames for the monitor?

USB recording to a USB drive would be ideal - effectively the same as the SD/Cfe cards. Currently the USB port is used for power and connection to PC but I haven't used that connectivity before.
The port is USB3.1 Gen 2 so 10 Gbit/s data rate over 1 lane using 128b/132b encoding (effective 1212 MB/s). The rates specified in the manual are Mbps (small "b") so definitely fast enough!
File transfer to PC is supported but is live recording?

Upvote 0

TheSalvatore

Canon R5
Jun 18, 2020
It could be the lens problem. I have some canon lenses which can't keep up with the R5's H+ speed. You can check by attaching the lens and switch it on, then look at the left side of the screen to see if the H+ icon is blinking in green or white. Green = when the lens can match up the focus speed. Whereas, white tends to have slower af.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2019
Why does Canon ignore stills photographers? We need at a minimum, 1) real time zebras for highlights. The histogram is useless. 2) Greater ability to customize buttons including the capability to button switch between ES/MS, crop/FF, etc. 3) Different rates for ES other than 20fps in servo (come on Canon 10 fps should be an easy addition - 1/2 the frame substitution.)

Upvote 0