Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks, Jack. I took a lot of photos without the birds, and a few were really interesting to me. Glad you enjoyed it.
For anyone with reservations, our group of birdbrains is a friendly group, after all, we even have at least one Nikon shooter!;)

Jack

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
For anyone with reservations, our group of birdbrains is a friendly group, after all, we even have at least one Nikon shooter!;)

Jack
Jack don’t you know you’re not supposed to mention him from the dark side lest he be outed!
You are absolutely correct though, a very friendly and tolerant group on this thread.

Cheers, Graham.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Our little Red Breasted Nuthatch friend had disappeared for a few days after I got my first shot of him a few days ago. I was super pumped to see him return today with a companion. Such a beautiful little bird and not very timid.
View attachment 196680
Very nice BIF photo, macrunning. I've been enjoying sitting bird photos, but BIF is a whole 'nother league. What lens do you prefer for BIF?

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Very nice BIF photo, macrunning. I've been enjoying sitting bird photos, but BIF is a whole 'nother league. What lens do you prefer for BIF?
I've been using the RF 85mm f1.2 L and the RF 24-105mm f4 L. These guys have been letting me get about 4-5ft away from them. I'm usually standing around for 10-15 minutes and then they come in cycles. Once the Dark Eyed Juncos feel it's ok, everyone else starts flocking in. So I'll get waves of Dark Eyed Juncos with Black Capped Chickadees, Pine Siskin and the Red Breasted Nuthatch. We had a couple of White Capped Sparrows yesterday but they didn't return today and from what I was reading we are really just part of the migration area for them. I've been going out for a little over a week so they get use to me and know I'm not a threat. It's really my first foray into wildlife photography and I'm truly loving it. I hope to get a longer telephoto lens at some point so I can head to more unfamiliar terrain than my front yard.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Birds are clever. Corvids and some other birds have as many neurones in their forebrains as many monkeys and smarter than dogs https://www.pnas.org/content/113/26/7255
Not saying crows aren't clever, we had two trying to work out how to get into our bat-box yesterday, but anybody that thinks birds are smart never owned chickens :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I've been using the RF 85mm f1.2 L and the RF 24-105mm f4 L. These guys have been letting me get about 4-5ft away from them. I'm usually standing around for 10-15 minutes and then they come in cycles. Once the Dark Eyed Juncos feel it's ok, everyone else starts flocking in. So I'll get waves of Dark Eyed Juncos with Black Capped Chickadees, Pine Siskin and the Red Breasted Nuthatch. We had a couple of White Capped Sparrows yesterday but they didn't return today and from what I was reading we are really just part of the migration area for them. I've been going out for a little over a week so they get use to me and know I'm not a threat. It's really my first foray into wildlife photography and I'm truly loving it. I hope to get a longer telephoto lens at some point so I can head to more unfamiliar terrain than my front yard.
Wow, 4-5 ft away in plain sight is pretty awesome in your front yard!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
OK, now it's a hand holding 500mm+TC-14 against the parakeet. I wouldn't post it (I already posted tons of these guys...) if not that strange "crown". Most probably it is residue from some sugary fruit (there is some mango and papaya ripe right now), otherwise I have no explanation.
Also (again!!!) a baby White Tern but this time I got something I have seen only in photos from other people - darker form! The first photo of the babies is the "normal" - whiter form. They are on the same tree, just ~2meters apart! These are on tripod.DSC_3713_DxO.jpgDSC_3722_DxO.jpgDSC_3778_DxO.jpgDSC_3834_DxO.jpgDSC_3857_DxO.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Just got back from a ranch in So Texas. Here's a few shots from there:

Attachments

• Four Cara Caras Vie for the Same Pertch.jpg
    Four Cara Caras Vie for the Same Pertch.jpg
    893.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Cardinal Pair in Springtime.jpg
    Cardinal Pair in Springtime.jpg
    843.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Laguna Seca Spring Birds.jpg
    Laguna Seca Spring Birds.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Tufted Titmouse.jpg
    Tufted Titmouse.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
OK, now it's a hand holding 500mm+TC-14 against the parakeet. I wouldn't post it (I already posted tons of these guys...) if not that strange "crown". Most probably it is residue from some sugary fruit (there is some mango and papaya ripe right now), otherwise I have no explanation.
Also (again!!!) a baby White Tern but this time I got something I have seen only in photos from other people - darker form! The first photo of the babies is the "normal" - whiter form. They are on the same tree, just ~2meters apart! These are on tripod.View attachment 196682View attachment 196683View attachment 196684View attachment 196685View attachment 196686
I just love the White Terns--I haven't seen or photographed them since we were on Midway Is about 10 yrs ago. The adults are so beautiful.
Catherine

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I just love the White Terns--I haven't seen or photographed them since we were on Midway Is about 10 yrs ago. The adults are so beautiful.
Catherine
I agree! But the chicks are the real cuties!
Very nice photos BTW! My favorite is the Cara Cara (that young bird has no chance against 3 adults but that's the life!)

Upvote 0