Patent: Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro 1:1.4x

Mar 25, 2011
By the way, I am using their RF 35mm macro which has a nifty feature which greatly simplifies manual focus. It consists of two arrows which point apart when the chosen point is out of focus while moving towards coinciding, overlapping and turning green, when in focus. This tells you both which way to move and when you are in focus.
I don't believe the lens has such a feature. I own it. The feature you describe is in EOS R cameras, its called focus guide and it is setup in the options. It is available for any lens that sends information back to the camera including adapted EF lenses. You must use manual focus to see the arrows. A alternative is focus peaking which works for fully manual lenses as well as electronic ones. I tried it, but its not as accurate as manual focus using 5X magnification, so I turn it off.

I currently have my 100L mounted, the feature works on it as well. I prefer AF and a touch screen on my R5, but if its critical, manual focus is a little more accurate. The adjustable focus rate for RF lenses does make macro better which is why I'd likely get the RF 100L.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I have been known to use autofocus when chasing an insect as it flies from place to place on a bush. But usually for macro shots, I set the focus manually for the magnification I want, and then move the camera back and forth until focus is where I want it. If I am to do stacking, I follow the same procedure using a rail, rather than changing focus, and therefore magnification, between shots.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
So will 1.4:1 be better or worse than 1:1 ? Sorry I'm confused , will bugs look bigger on the new lens compared to the current 100 macro ?
If I am not too confused, the lens is rumored to be able to put an image on the sensor that is 1.4x the size of the bug. With the EF 100 macros, the bug image is the same size as the bug at 1:1.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So will 1.4:1 be better or worse than 1:1 ? Sorry I'm confused , will bugs look bigger on the new lens compared to the current 100 macro ?
1:1.4 (which is what this lens is rumored to be) does not offer true macro capability as its magnification is less than 100%. 1:1 is technically what defines a macro lens (100% life size reproduction). 1.4:1 (which is what you wrote but not what the lens is rumored to be) would be larger than life size.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
1:1.4 (which is what this lens is rumored to be) does not offer true macro capability as its magnification is less than 100%. 1:1 is technically what defines a macro lens (100% life size reproduction). 1.4:1 (which is what you wrote but not what the lens is rumored to be) would be larger than life size.
Thank you

Upvote 0