Patent: Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been reporting for a long while that an RF 35mm f/1.2L USM was coming for the RF mount. Here we have a very detailed patent showing four different optical formulas for such a lens.
The RF 35mm f/1.2L USM is on the known RF lens roadmap, so I think we may see this lens sometime in 2021.

Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM

Focal Length

34.00mm

F-Number...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I'm excited for this lens despite now having no plans to buy it. I'm covered for glass unless the work I do changes.

What I really can't wait to see is a comparison between this lens (should Canon release it) and Sigma's $1500 version, since that's the only autofocus lens on the market that can compete with it, despite Sigma not offering it in an RF mount, yet.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm excited for this lens despite now having no plans to buy it. I'm covered for glass unless the work I do changes.

What I really can't wait to see is a comparison between this lens (should Canon release it) and Sigma's $1500 version, since that's the only autofocus lens on the market that can compete with it, despite Sigma not offering it in an RF mount, yet.
We'll, isn't the Sigma f/1.4? Canon's EF 35mm f/1.4L II was a fantastic lens I owned. Sony just released a 50mm f/1.2. Canon setting a new standard, I guess. ;)

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
It's an interesting conundrum, I'm tempted by this lens, but I actually love the RF 35mm f1.8 so much as a travel/macro/lightweight lens that I haven't used my 35mm f/1.4L II in over a year and will probably sell it to put towards an R3. I'm not sure if I see a future where I have both the F/1.2 and the F/1.8, but perhaps Canon will find a way to change my mind.

Probably safe to assume this will probably end up around $2000-2200, like the RF 50 did.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
We'll, isn't the Sigma f/1.4? Canon's EF 35mm f/1.4L II was a fantastic lens I owned. Sony just released a 50mm f/1.2. Canon setting a new standard, I guess. ;)

Nah, there's an f/1.2, now, and it's not even enormously expensive (lower MSRP than the f/1.4 L II, in fact). It was released to almost no fanfare, which makes me wonder how much even photography enthusiasts care about the difference between f/1.4 and f/1.2 for a wide angle prime :unsure:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Nah, there's an f/1.2, now, and it's not even enormously expensive (lower MSRP than the f/1.4 L II, in fact). It was released to almost no fanfare, which makes me wonder how much even photography enthusiasts care about the difference between f/1.4 and f/1.2 for a wide angle prime :unsure:

We'll, I care... just because. ;)

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
We'll, I care... just because. ;)

Same. It's absolutely a luxury lens more than something I personally need.

If I had been able to shoot weddings in 2020, I would have enjoyed having it because the bokeh is much smoother than Sigma's 35/1.4, which often makes harsh patterns of grass/trees in outdoor portraits, wide-open.

Upvote 0