Let’s talk about the Canon EOS R3 [CR2]

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
The obvious answer for your charging issue is going to be USB-C charging. I'm confident Canon will release this with some kind of LP-E19NH battery that accepts USB-C charging. If that happens, could either leave behind the LP-E6 charger or the bigger LP-E19 charger and just charge the batteries in camera.

In a pinch, I charge my EOS R5 with my USB-C MacBook Pro charger. No issues since the end of July doing this occasionally when I need to, and it charges very quickly. The R5 also works with my Power Delivery USB-C charging bank, which can charge the battery several times over on one charge. So in the future, I could see myself charging my R5 with the power bank in the field, and charging my R3 with a MacBook Pro charger if I was somehow away from my battery chargers.
Unfortunately, I can't charge my batteries in the camera and will routinely go through 4-8 battery sessions a day and need at least one set of batteries ready to go when I get a chance to unload my cards in the tower before heading back out.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I'd bet on the one this year. There's not typically a big gap between development announcements and formal announcements. I expect we'll see the formal announcement around the Olympics complete with photos taken at said Olympics and sports shooters doing their testimonial videos about how great it was to use there. Kind of like the 1D4 announcement around the Winter Olympics. Us mere mortals will probably get a shot at one this fall. This camera's been cooking for some time now, it won't be as long as you think.
I have to agree and think your guess on a release date would be about right.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I’d think one of the differentiating factors would be card slots, I’d think both will have two card slots but the R3 will have two different card types, the R1 a single card type.
Two things.
1) 1Dx II has different card slots with 1 CFast and 1 CFX.
2) Headlining 30 FPS but having one card slot would be bogus.
If anything I would expect R1 to have 1 CF Express and 1 next-level card like a CFX Type C or something.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Why, the global shutter on the C700 is a $2,000 option. Put a $2,000 premium on the R1 over the R3 and you are done. Though I'd expect a lot of smaller refinements to differentiate the two as well.
Also, RED Komodo has a global shutter and it is their cheapest camera.
From my understanding, the only difference between a stacked CMOS sensor and a global shutter CMOS sensor is that a stacked sensor has internal memory to store parts of an image for faster reading while a global shutter serializes and stores the entire image in internal memory.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Something I don't understand about global shutter technology in mirrorless cameras is why exactly it isn't possible at the moment.

Not at the higher framerates of electronic shutters of course but at around the mechanical shutter framerate. I guess I don't get what exactly a mechanical shutter is doing that prevents the rolling shutter effect and why something like the R5 can't shoot silently at 8fps and not get that banding effect.

The R3 is definitely intriguing, especially if it is in a similar range to the R5 MP count.
The higher the resolution, the higher the signal noise on the sensor.
It is akin to the more people in a room, the more noise they make.
In a global shutter, the entire sensor is turned on so it creates more noise than a rolling shutter.
A mechanical is shutter is similar.
Even though the sensor is turned on one line at a time, the entire sensor is on before the shutter opens.
However, the longer exposure time helps filter out noise that is not fixed pattern noise.
The line-by-line reading is done while the shutter is closed which is why there are no rolling shutter artifacts.

PS: The sensor gets turned off line-by-line after each line is read from the sensor.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Two things.
1) 1Dx II has different card slots with 1 CFast and 1 CFX.
2) Headlining 30 FPS but having one card slot would be bogus.
If anything I would expect R1 to have 1 CF Express and 1 next-level card like a CFX Type C or something.
Yes and what a mess that 1DX II is! The 1DX and 1DX III both had the same kinds of slots, dual CF and CFExpress respectively.

I can’t imagine an R3 would have a single slot, that’s why I said I thought it would have two, but to differentiate the R1 and R3 the R3 would have different card types and the R1 the same. I think that is a fairly safe bet, but I could easily be wrong!

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Yes and what a mess that 1DX II is! The 1DX and 1DX III both had the same kinds of slots, dual CF and CFExpress respectively.

I can’t imagine an R3 would have a single slot, that’s why I said I thought it would have two, but to differentiate the R1 and R3 the R3 would have different card types and the R1 the same. I think that is a fairly safe bet, but I could easily be wrong!
I’m guessing it will have two CF Express Type-B slots. I can’t see a reason for anything less.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
ohh crap so i need cut 3mm from every picture sides ,darn thats worky :(
No th
ohh crap so i need cut 3mm from every picture sides ,darn thats worky :(
No that's incorrect :
a FF Canon sensor measures 24x36mm so the image circle must be square root of (24x24 + 36x36) = 43.26mm diameter
a square 30x30 sensor would need an image circle of 42.42mm diameter i.e slightly less
A round sensor of 43mm diameter would be better still

Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2021
I wonder if R3 is first canon camera with 3 stabilation, IS ibis and dicital aligned stack postprosessing when exposure is longer than 1/30s.
Could just remove one 1/30s layer from stack when picture is burned out.
With 300 pic buffer could get 10 second stabilation for handhold.
If exposure intervals between two exposure is short enough so wont cause light loss.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Given I shoot a lot of video, I’m not sure what to think of this offering. Canon didn’t go into the video specs at all. And there does not appear to be any microphone holes on the front of the body. All other Canon cameras have these holes. And since we know that iPhones are water resistant to 30’ we can safely assume this has nothing to do with weather sealing.
I’m disappointed this camera will not offer global shutter. That would have been awesome. Granted, it will have a stacked sensor, so readout speed should be acceptable. It’s just something I would have liked to see. I have a Red Komodo arriving on Friday and at this point I’m still struggling with weather I should keep it or sell it. While I like the image, it’s all so close anymore that things like AF, low light... become more relevant.
Why are you disappointed? You haven't seen the specs. Maybe it will.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Why are you disappointed? You haven't seen the specs. Maybe it will.
I’m disappointed this camera will not offer global shutter.

I’m pretty sure Canon has already revealed that the R3 will feature a stacked sensor with fast rolling shutter... not global shutter. So yes, I’ve seen this spec.

Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2021
I’m disappointed this camera will not offer global shutter.

I’m pretty sure Canon has already revealed that the R3 will feature a stacked sensor with fast rolling shutter... not global shutter. So yes, I’ve seen this spec.
Isnt it pretty silly ,canon got that allmighty true global shutter ,but their second best offer cant get rid even rolling shutter distortions. Bit like sport car and kick scooter :p

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Isnt it pretty silly ,canon got that allmighty true global shutter ,but their second best offer cant get rid even rolling shutter distortions. Bit like sport car and kick scooter :p
That’s true, but... few would argue that Arri is largely considered the pinnacle of digital cinema atm. But yet both the Arri Mini LF and Arri Alexa Plus have rolling shutter of around 7.2ms... that’s only about 1ms better than the Sony A7S3. And here’s anther fact most probably don’t know... film has rolling shutter also.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
I'd love to see something absolutely bananas, but theoretically possible: a full-frame 3-chip stills camera using a prism like almost all video cameras used to do a decade ago
It would be a beast(size), not to mention the cost.

I asked someone else in the industry years ago why we didn’t have 3-chip s35 cameras(much less “FF“ sensors) and the two main answers were size and cost. Then throw in the complexity. Things to think about include the lenses are not designed to work with a prism like our “TV” lenses are, so you‘d have to design an optical correction system to go between the optical block and lens. And the higher the resolution the more difficult(if not impossible after a certain threshold) it becomes to line all three chips up, so that you don’t have registration errors. Although, speaking in a strictly stills manner, there are cameras with “pixel shift” systems/technology that move the sensors to allow for higher-than-native resolution capture, so maybe, it that regard, it would be possible to line the images up, if not at time of capture, then in post.

Upvote 0