MY new R5 - both cards format but camera recognizes only card 2

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Late to the party and a little overwhelmed by the R5. My 1DX2 had a button to select which card and the R5 menus seem to not even mention card selection but I found it using the Q button. I have formatted both of my new cards apparently successfully but Card 2 (Sandisk 64GB SDXC -I) is the only one showing in the Q menu. The other card (1) is a Sandisk Extreme Pro CFexp Type B 128GB.

With only a CFe installed the camera says No Card 2 in camera recording not possible. The Q menu does display card 1 and 2 when installed but allows no access to 1 and "Standard" is displayed and the other three choices are greyed out.

I'm stumped as to what to try/do.

Jack

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I was only shooting stills and couldn't make sense out of how the card was set up (probably because it's a faulty card). Coming from the 1DX2 I assumed that one card got the jpegs and the other the raw but now I know both were going on the SD card alone. So I shot around 100 pics and only today realized nothing was on card 1 because after finding the location using the Q button I could not assign both cards (1 is not accessible). Formatting, it asked which card and seemed to format both so that's initially how I got confused. I don't understand why Canon didn't put card assignment in the main menu but I searched and searched - no luck. I've already boxed the card to send back to Amazon at this point but still you might have some thoughts.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Hi Jack, have you checked all the options in the 1st spanner (Yellow) menu 'Record func+card/folder sel.'?

That is where you can choose the record different files to different cards, it's buried though. To record stills to both cards at different qualities you need to select Rec. separately, it will then let you specify what type to what card.

1619154260125.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I had the same error sometime last week, but I don't remember how I fixed it. My cards were fine but I made some changes for video without realizing that I was in the photo mode.
Currently, I have cRaw on 1 and Jpeg on 2. To set it up:
1 - on the yellow tab, under "record func+card/folder sel" choose rec options: rec separately
2 - on the red tab, set image quality to 1 cRaw, 2 L (or whatever you want)
You can change them individually later on the Q menu.
It doesn't necessarily a bad card, but again, I don't remember what I did to fix it. Sorry! Indeed, so much to learn.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hi Jack, have you checked all the options in the 1st spanner (Yellow) menu 'Record func+card/folder sel.'?

That is where you can choose the record different files to different cards, it's buried though. To record stills to both cards at different qualities you need to select Rec. separately, it will then let you specify what type to what card.

View attachment 197165
You got me there. That might be the issue. It seems to me that (like right now with only card 2 (SD) installed that I couldn't access those choices but I'm going to unpack my Amazon return and double-check and reply shortly.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
You got me there. That might be the issue. It seems to me that (like right now with only card 2 (SD) installed that I couldn't access those choices but I'm going to unpack my Amazon return and double-check and reply shortly.
Put the CFe back in and under that menu I have already selected separate > enable and the lower choices are all greyed out. So back to Amazon and I've got a Delkin 256 in my cart I'll replace this 128 with.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
LOL, I've put the card back in the box for shipping again and I'll just wait to tackle this again when the new card arrives. Thanks anyway. I'm pretty sure I was down those paths and couldn't understand why I couldn't achieve my goal but that's two days ago and there is so much stuff that I honestly can't say.

At least I have an SD card to play with.

I'll report on this when the next card arrives. Thanks all.

Jack

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Another thing to consider: Setting the power switch to "Off' and charging the camera over USB turns the camera on, so if you take out the CFe, close the door, open the door, re-insert CFe, it will have moved everything to the SD card. To get around this I leave the door open when import pictures to my computer.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Another thing to consider: Setting the power switch to "Off' and charging the camera over USB turns the camera on, so if you take out the CFe, close the door, open the door, re-insert CFe, it will have moved everything to the SD card. To get around this I leave the door open when import pictures to my computer.
I don't understand why the transfer to second card would happen. I transfer the images directly from the camera without removing the cards, without any problems, so, I did what you wrote: I turned the camera off, plugged it to charge via the USB, took out the CFe, closed the door, opened the door, re-inserted the CFe, but it moved nothing to the SD card.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I don't understand why the transfer to second card would happen. I transfer the images directly from the camera without removing the cards, without any problems, so, I did what you wrote: I turned the camera off, plugged it to charge via the USB, took out the CFe, closed the door, opened the door, re-inserted the CFe, but it moved nothing to the SD card.
That's good to hear! Another thing I can stop worrying about.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
I don't charge via USB but remove the battery and put on a charger. At any rate, I recall all my images going to the SD on the R5 after having the CFe card out but shooting some photos with just the SD card in the camera, and then putting the CFe back in. I assumed at the time that the camera moved to a default where it just sends images to the SD when that is the only card inserted and keeps that default until you re-set it to record to both cards.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
@Jack Douglas You noob! You went and bought an R5 finally and didn't tell me? Send me some amazing pictures when you figure it out ;) Send me your old camera since you don't need it anymore. It would be great to have a second video camera.
My sincere apologies! I already have the 1DX2 on Kijiji starting at $2730 USD and probably it'll have to go lower. It's a really tough decision because it is great for video but remember, I'm not your age and it is heavy and big. The R5 for wildlife and cropping of course is going to serve me better.

I think the camera is no more difficult to fully understand than the 1DX2 but it certainly requires relearning an awful lot. I'm OK with the size and button placement because I came from a 6D. It's a really tough decision considering the amount of money that is lost in this kind of transaction. :(

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
So after you have Rec. separately selected in the yellow menu the red first page first item menu doesn't show the two cards separately?

View attachment 197166
Just got the card formatted and same problem - not accessible. Ran through all the menus and nothing there to allow me to activate this card. Pulled out card two and I was told, "no card in camera". So then, relating back to my previous involvement with the Q button, I fiddled around to see if I could accomplish something there and I noticed the rectangle relating to cards did show a "1", so I selected that and guess what it showed "-". Once I activated that rectangle I was able to select RAW and whoopee, card 1 is now recognized.

Now that has to be a major blunder on Canon's part not to show such a vital action within the menu structure. What if a person doesn't generally use the Q button? That's my opinion anyway.

Never the less, Amazon got a good 128 returned and I ended up purchasing a 256, which was probably a good move.

Jack

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I was only shooting stills and couldn't make sense out of how the card was set up (probably because it's a faulty card). Coming from the 1DX2 I assumed that one card got the jpegs and the other the raw but now I know both were going on the SD card alone. So I shot around 100 pics and only today realized nothing was on card 1 because after finding the location using the Q button I could not assign both cards (1 is not accessible). Formatting, it asked which card and seemed to format both so that's initially how I got confused. I don't understand why Canon didn't put card assignment in the main menu but I searched and searched - no luck. I've already boxed the card to send back to Amazon at this point but still you might have some thoughts.

Jack
I had same issue, and had to eject and insert the card about 5 or 6 times before it 'connected' with the camera, not sure why but had the same issue with a different CF Express card in my D850, also needed to eject and insert a few times before it registered.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I had same issue, and had to eject and insert the card about 5 or 6 times before it 'connected' with the camera, not sure why but had the same issue with a different CF Express card in my D850, also needed to eject and insert a few times before it registered.
Now with hindsight I may have simply not realized how to access the cards, thinking that card selection would be in the main menu. Never the less, a camera should not be set up to display the warning "no card in camera" when there is a card but it's not in the right slot according to previous usage/programming. So, I can't actually say whether my situation parallels yours. I ended up buying a new bigger card of a different brand and returned the old one before I had fully sorted things out.

Jack

Upvote 0