Let’s talk about the Canon EOS R3 [CR2]

Jan 29, 2011
It would be a beast(size), not to mention the cost.

I asked someone else in the industry years ago why we didn’t have 3-chip s35 cameras(much less “FF“ sensors) and the two main answers were size and cost. Then throw in the complexity. Things to think about include the lenses are not designed to work with a prism like our “TV” lenses are, so you‘d have to design an optical correction system to go between the optical block and lens. And the higher the resolution the more difficult(if not impossible after a certain threshold) it becomes to line all three chips up, so that you don’t have registration errors. Although, speaking in a strictly stills manner, there are cameras with “pixel shift” systems/technology that move the sensors to allow for higher-than-native resolution capture, so maybe, it that regard, it would be possible to line the images up, if not at time of capture, then in post.
And all for what? Three chip cameras were important when the resolution was under 600 lines and the image frames were interlaced because Bayer array sensors didn’t have enough color information to accurately interpolate with. Now with the resolution of sensors we have that isn’t true and Bayer arrays work very well in most cases.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I’m disappointed this camera will not offer global shutter.

I’m pretty sure Canon has already revealed that the R3 will feature a stacked sensor with fast rolling shutter... not global shutter. So yes, I’ve seen this spec.
Why? Who else offers a still camera with a global shutter and how much is it?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I primarily shoot video. Hence, my disappointment.
I understand why you were hopeful for a global shutter, and why that would be disappointing, but as far as I know there is not currently any global shutter sensor higher than 20 megapixels, and if I were to guess we will never see another hybrid camera with a resolution that low. If a hybrid camera is what you want, it'll probably be another year or two.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I understand why you were hopeful for a global shutter, and why that would be disappointing, but as far as I know there is not currently any global shutter sensor higher than 20 megapixels, and if I were to guess we will never see another hybrid camera with a resolution that low. If a hybrid camera is what you want, it'll probably be another year or two.
Well by your own logic, given that the R1 is rumored to have a global shutter, and will likely be more than 20MP; I’m thinking the water might be shorter than to think.

Upvote 0
Well by your own logic, given that the R1 is rumored to have a global shutter, and will likely be more than 20MP; I’m thinking the water might be shorter than to think.
I hope you're right, but my reasoning is that the R3 is at least a few months away, and the R1 will be after that, so I don't think the R1 is coming out this year. (Which is consistent with what CanonRumors reported last month)

Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2021
No no noo its insanity do over 20mp sensor untill it can do 100fps ,with that speed you can get rid mechanical shutter and ibis.
But i guess R3 is higher mp so crazy peoples can shoot 8k without overheat,

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Still not impressive ,could be next generation stacked rolling shutter sensor prototype.
No camera exists with a global shutter uncropped RAW at 120p, 20 MP, and 20 EV.
Komodo only goes up to 40 FPS and 16 EV.
Despite that people were wowed by it and it is considered state of the art.
RED expensive rolling shutter cameras only go up to 18 EV.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
It may sound silly to all of you, but I'm wondering if it will have a fully articulating screen. It's one I've always insisted on. Having a wonderful R5, I'm in no hurry and can wait if needed for QP and an articulating screen. I wonder how long that will take?

But we will all see ...
A rugged fully articulating screen seems quite possible.
A fixed glass screen does not seem very rugged in the first place.
The screen is the biggest weak point of the Olympus Tough.
I always wish that had a flip-screen.
GoPro has an indestructible screen but it helps that it is so tiny.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2021
I believe theoretical max frame rate for 1dx3 kind of camera with global shutter would be around 80000fp /s
If 1dx3 sensor got 3500 pixel on one circuit ,then sensor with 1 pixel/ circuit would be 3500x faster right ?
Sorry if i got things wrong ,if i tell truth i dont understand much about sensor tech :p
I guess 120fps could be just practical limit ,no sense shoot faster on any situation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Komodo only goes up to 40 FPS and 16 EV.
Despite that people were wowed by it and it is considered state of the art.
RED expensive rolling shutter cameras only go up to 18 EV.

The Komodo can get up to 50fps shooting 6K 2.4:1 WS. That was the mode I was shooting at most of the time. The biggest challenge is that it uses DCT compression which is so much larger compared to the Raven/Scarlet I was shooting on which uses wavelet compression. The same ratios aren't comparable and you need a ton of CFAST cards which is at least a bunch cheaper than those mini-mags which cost a fortune.

Overall, the crop isn't bad with the Komodo @ 6K which is approx. APS-H crop. But if you need 60p you have to drop down to 4K which is a 2X crop ~MFT coverage. But the global shutter is great as it has nicer handheld motion cadence compared to most rolling shutter cameras. I was also capturing some run-n-gun footage at an event and the photography strobes would be evenly lit without the jarring bars you normally get.

I think that it isn't that the Komodo is necessarily state of the art, but it is exciting for the RED crowd as it is the first sub 10k RED camera giving you access to the R3D workflow without needing a ton of expensive accessories and can shoot largely out of the box. The fact that has a small footprint and also supports Canon's newest mount is a bonus.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Seems like they take a good bit of building out but they look like very nice tools. Did you go for a $1,000 color option? Can you imagine if Canon offered that....
I was on the wait list from the beginning, but when the custom colors were offered and later the storm troopers, I passed, as I wanted a production camera. I also wanted to see more footage and independent reviews. I guess I’m just not as comfortable with Red, as a brand, as I am with Canon and Sony. If the specs on the R3 are to my liking I’ll probably just preorder. Red still had some catch up to go as far as things like AF.

Upvote 0