Let’s talk about the Canon EOS R3 [CR2]

I absolutely LOVE my R5/RF equipment, but would be interested in adding an R3 body if shooter eye tracking AF was a reality. I'm so used to using the points, joystick combo, and using my eye to move focus points around within the viewfinder That would be absolutely amazing! The R5 is great, and I love the AF, but while looking through the viewfinder, a good eye tracking ability would be amazing.
"...Dear Santa Canon..."

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Quad-Pixel is what I would believe, high Megapixel not. The R3 looks more like a Sport-Camera.
It would be *nice* to have 50MP, but I'd hope that Canon's top priority would be high ISO performance and high DR.

Canon say it's got a Digic X processor and can shoot at 30fps with AF tracking. So my guess is that the sensor will be no more than 30MP.

I'd also guess that the rumoured "resolution trick", is a firmware process that allows a quad-pixel sensor to quadruple resolution without involving pixel-shift. Otherwise surely they would simply have called it pixel-shift.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

For the record, when dpreview wrote about the 1Ds in 2002, they said:

"The EOS-1Ds features a full-frame 11 megapixel CMOS sensor. The sensor makes this camera the first Canon EF mount digital SLR without any field of view crop . . . Despite the increase in resolution compared to the EOS-D60, the EOS-1Ds sensor has a larger pixel pitch because of its larger effective imaging area,"

This is another way of saying that the 1Ds became a higher resolution camera (capable of shooting landscapes, etc, with its 11 MP) more out of the natural evolution up to full-frame digital sensor than because they intentionally made a "high megapixel model" with an integrated vertical grip.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
For the record, when dpreview wrote about the 1Ds in 2002, they said:

"The EOS-1Ds features a full-frame 11 megapixel CMOS sensor. The sensor makes this camera the first Canon EF mount digital SLR without any field of view crop . . . Despite the increase in resolution compared to the EOS-D60, the EOS-1Ds sensor has a larger pixel pitch because of its larger effective imaging area,"

This is another way of saying that the 1Ds became a higher resolution camera (capable of shooting landscapes, etc, with its 11 MP) more out of the natural evolution up to full-frame digital sensor than because they intentionally made a "high megapixel model" with an integrated vertical grip.

I know, that was my point. Cameras that 'look like that' are not necessarily "a Sport-Camera".

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Perhaps current 1-Series DSLR owners will buy an R3 as a second body, to dabble in mirrorless.
That is exactly my intention. I was going to get an R5 but couldn't bring myself to actually do it, now that R3 is out as a teaser I'm happy to at least wait and see what it actually turns out to be. But for me ergonomics, familiar button placement, battery cross compatibility and innumerable small details make enough of a difference.

The R5 is a superb camera, but it isn't a 1 series and has never tried to be.

Upvote 0
Two things.
1) 1Dx II has different card slots with 1 CFast and 1 CFX.
2) Headlining 30 FPS but having one card slot would be bogus.
If anything I would expect R1 to have 1 CF Express and 1 next-level card like a CFX Type C or something.
I can't imagine CFe type C being used... See the dimensions of the card!! I don't think that there are any available in the marketplace
CFe type B has availability and still handles 2GB/s wheras the A1 uses CFe type A and "only" handles 1GB/s max. Tricky for Sony fans to find CFeA cards ie only from Sony I think :)

Form
Factor
CFexpress
version
Dimensions
(millimeters)
PCIe
Lanes
A2.020 x 28 x 2.8mm1
B1.038.5 x 29.8 x 3.8mm2
C2.054 x 74 x 4.8mm4

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Replace JPEG with Compressed RAW and you might be on to something.
It is best to shoot JPEG + RAW and use the RAW if editing is required.
I think that cRaw on the R5 is a great option but still 45mp. Clearly that resolution is not needed for sports pros with wifi back to base even if the file size is half Raw file sizes. Downsampled 45mp to 20mp HEIF (not jpg) on the fly @30fps could be what Canon is referring to.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I can't imagine CFe type C being used... See the dimensions of the card!! I don't think that there are any available in the marketplace
CFe type B has more options and still handles 2GB/s wheras the A1 uses CFe type A and "only" handles 1GB/s max.

Form
Factor
CFexpress
version
Dimensions
(millimeters)
PCIe
Lanes
A2.020 x 28 x 2.8mm1
B1.038.5 x 29.8 x 3.8mm2
C2.054 x 74 x 4.8mm4
LOL.
That is huge.
I read up on Type A and I have no idea why Sony chose it over SD Express.
I can't see how Sony does not have the ability to make SD Express readers and media.
It seems like it would be easier for Sony to make SD Express catch on easier than CFExpress Type A

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I think that cRaw on the R5 is a great option but still 45mp. Clearly that resolution is not needed for sports pros with wifi back to base even if the file size is half Raw file sizes. Downsampled 45mp to 20mp HEIF (not jpg) on the fly @30fps could be what Canon is referring to.
HEIF is very size efficient but pretty slow to generate.
30 FPS HEIF would be a game-changer but even 20 would be very impressive.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I
I am sure that either R3 or R1 will be a high-resolution camera.
There would be no reason to make them too much alike.
I tend to agree, and I’d think the R1 will be lower resolution than the R3 which suits me! I’m sure the R1 will have some high value features like a global shutter and/or quad pixel AF, but I can easily live without them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
With high speed 5G connectivity available at most all sports venue now, I don't think that will be a problem. As an example, Verizon mmWave upload speeds in the US are running at around 200mbs. The bandwith can handle even faster speeds. I expect this to see 5G add-ons available for the R3 and possibly built-in on the R1. I think the R3 will be at least 45mp, if not more.

Upvote 0
With high speed 5G connectivity available at most all sports venue now, I don't think that will be a problem. As an example, Verizon mmWave upload speeds in the US are running at around 200mbs. The bandwith can handle even faster speeds. I expect this to see 5G add-ons available for the R3 and possibly built-in on the R1. I think the R3 will be at least 45mp, if not more.
5G can be very fast back to the edge server but it isn't clear what the point-to-point sustained throughput would be. Be interesting to see how it is implemented though. Adding a sim card slot is relatively simple. You then have telco coverage quality in each country/ location. Would they use FTP to transmit? Not sure if lightroom or other editing software handle a 5G stream within tethering.

Upvote 0
I
I tend to agree, and I’d think the R1 will be lower resolution than the R3 which suits me! I’m sure the R1 will have some high value features like a global shutter and/or quad pixel AF, but I can easily live without them.

I'd be highly surprised if a global shutter doesn't go first into a camera with high end video features. Today that means at least 8k. 8k leads us to at least 45 for the pixel count.

Upvote 0