Are you experiencing this phenomenon with IBIS on your Canon EOS R5?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
When it comes to bugs with cameras and lenses, I tend to err on the side of caution posting about them. Most that are sent to me tend to be a user or environmental issue. This one, however, I can make happen on my own Canon EOS R5.
I’m not sure that this has had any real-world negative effect on my shooting, but we all shoot differently, and it could be a bigger deal for others.
Canon Rumors reader juanmaasecas sent me the above example of the issue with this explanation.

Some weeks ago I found what I think is an annoying bug with the IBIS in the Canon R5 (some users also experience it with the R6).
When the ibis is set to “always ON”, the sensor twists after the first picture is taken, producing a blurred picture. If you keep pressing the shutter half (while in continuous autofocus or just In single) and then take more pictures, the rest are just fine.
I went to Canon repair center/showcase here...

Continue reading...

His description is misleading, he states that the sensor twists after the first picture, but he's complaining that the first picture is blurry, so his camera sensor is twisting during the exposure, not after.

With that being said, I've never noticed that issue on my R6. I've seen the EVF twisting after the exposure, but I suppose that is "expected behaviour".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
I sent my R5 in last year with images supporting that the IBIS sometimes does the “wobble” when taking still images; i.e., the center of the image is sharp but gets progressively blurry as you move toward the edges. Canon USA’s repair facility sent it back to me saying that the IBIS was within “acceptable tolerances”. It has made me less of an R5 enthusiast...

P.S. it does seem to be better with the later firmware updates.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I sent my R5 in last year with images supporting that the IBIS sometimes does the “wobble” when taking still images; i.e., the center of the image is sharp but gets progressively blurry as you move toward the edges. Canon USA’s repair facility sent it back to me saying that the IBIS was within “acceptable tolerances”. It has made me less of an R5 enthusiast...

P.S. it does seem to be better with the later firmware updates.
How often does this phenomenon happen? This would definitely bother me.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It is annoying that we cannot turn IBIS OFF while keeping IS to ON. This is a small firmware change.

But I love the combination of RF24-70 with IBIS. It is good with other lenses too but RF24-70 (at 70) was spectacular.

I managed to shoot close distance at 1/3rd of a second at 70mm with no camera shake at all.

However, to achieve this I always shoot continuously and choose the best. Even so in my 24-70 case there were many keepers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I could imagine what he's experiencing may not be IBIS' fault but the simple fact that the Pressing of the shutter button itself introduces camera shake which of course is mostly gone by te time the second picture is taken. At least that has been my experience with the R5. Can anyone check whether they can reproduce this on a tripod with a wireless remote release?

Upvote 0
I could imagine what he's experiencing may not be IBIS' fault but the simple fact that the Pressing of the shutter button itself introduces camera shake which of course is mostly gone by te time the second picture is taken. At least that has been my experience with the R5. Can anyone check whether they can reproduce this on a tripod with a wireless remote release?
Why is it mostly gone in the second picture!? I am focusing in servo for seconds before the first picture is taken, and press the button extremely carefully every time.
I have been shooting Sony for years without this issues, I know how to handle shooting at slow shutter speeds, how to hold my breath, etc.
And both pictures are taken separately, it means, it’s not a burst of pictures, but holding half, fully press, go back to holding half, fully press, etc (I can do it several times and ONLY the first one is shaken and ONLY when ibis is set to always on).

Upvote 0
Definitely happening from the day 1, I just wasn't aware that it is fixed on the second photo in a row.

I wrote about this issue in my review and tested it it on about 6 lenses... the efficiency of the IBIS was about 2 EV when considering the edges. (But +1 or +2 EV higher if evaluating the center sharpness only.)

The details are here, in 1/3 of the page (near the image with blurred edge detail :) )
https://www.pastel.cz/en/2020/10/canon-eos-r5-vs-canon-5d-mark-iv-for-photography-part-1/

Upvote 0
Ah I misunderstood. I thought it was every first shot of a continuous sequence. So did you reproduce it on a tripod with a wireless remote release?
On a tripod, after a few seconds, the problem does not happen anymore,
It’s like the camera knows it’s on a tripod and maybe automatically disables ibis.
And the problem “I think” it’s due to the camera trying to compensate a twists that’s it expect when the button is pressed. But as there is not twist if you press carefully, the camera is overcompensating thus the issue I see... this is only my theory, that this is just a software bug, but there are some people that can’t reproduce the issue, so I don’t really know what’s going on...

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
How often does this phenomenon happen? This would definitely bother me.
Originally it was probably 1 out of 10 of shots that should be sharp. What I mean by that is that you wouldn’t notice it in a lot of shots due to DOF. After the last couple of firmware updates it has gone down significantly but it does occasionally still happen. I give Canon a little bit of a break since it could be related to the combination of mode, focus type selected, and other camera settings I use. It doesn’t mean it isn’t a problem but it seems to be getting fixed over time by the tweaks they are doing to the IBIS.

I’m also in favor of being able to disable IBIS when using a lens with IS.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Why is it mostly gone in the second picture!? I am focusing in servo for seconds before the first picture is taken, and press the button extremely carefully every time.
I have been shooting Sony for years without this issues, I know how to handle shooting at slow shutter speeds, how to hold my breath, etc.
And both pictures are taken separately, it means, it’s not a burst of pictures, but holding half, fully press, go back to holding half, fully press, etc (I can do it several times and ONLY the first one is shaken and ONLY when ibis is set to always on).
Does it occur regardless of shutter mode? 1st curtain, Mech, and Silent give the same results?

Upvote 0
Dumb question. but why?
Because mechanical shutter (meaning fully mechanical) may cause shutter shock, visible at slow shutter speeds (the first mechanical curtain creates a shake that introduces the blur). It is better to use EFCS (electronic first curtain shutter) or fully electronic.
Now that I’m thinking, maybe that is the software bug? Maybe ibis is somehow programmed to counteract the shake of the mechanical shutter no matter what kind of shutter is selected, and when the camera is set in other than fully mechanical, we see this overcompensation (but only in the first picture...)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0