Show your Bird Portraits

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Thanks, I'll now focus on researching that one and I'll keep my eye open for more/better shots.

Jack
Jack, your hawk is a Cooper's Hawk. With the slate-colored back, bold reddish streaking underneath and white belly. A N. Goshawk would show a finely streaked grayish underside with slate top and be almost as large as a Red-tailed. Nice shot

Jeremy

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
This is the end of the better redbud photos I took with the R5 & RF 800 lens.
I was very happy with the image quality from this long yet light & affordable lens (relatively speaking since it is a RF lens).
(After the next 2 photos I decided to try the same experiment by adding the RF 1.4TC to the RF 800mm f11 lens and I'll continue with some of those photos below)

White throated sparrow:
A03_5851_1_2k90%.jpg

With help from Dockland (thanks!), I think this is an American Tree Sparrow:
A03_5898_3_2k90%.jpg

Now I'll start with more redbud photos with the R5 and RF 800mm f11 with RF 1.4TC added.
I was curious what IQ you could get with it. I'm still on my back porch at a distance close to the 6m MFD of the 800mm lens.
Often times, this distance was a bit too close for some of the larger birds (EG doves), but that's also part of the test.

In post, one thing I'd like to mention is that I've found DXO PL4 gets really slow when you open up a file of a thousand or so images to grade and work on. So slow that I was forced to look for alternatives to grade them down to a reasonable number of just the best ones to use PL4 on. I chose FastRaw Viewer for this purpose, and am extremely happy with how well & fast it can view the raw files and also grade them to parse them down to just the best. It costs almost nothing and is amazingly configurable to taste, so if you ever want faster raw viewing/grading I highly recommend it.

These are still with PL4 with cropping to taste, +1 lens sharpness and deep prime output, with little to no other adjustments done.

House finch:A03_5963_2_2k90%.jpg

A03_5976_2_2k90%.jpg

A03_5980_3_2k90%.jpg

With help from AlanF (thanks!), a Starling:
A03_6049_2_2k90%.jpg

A03_6064_2_2k90%.jpg

Carolina Chickadee:
A03_6209_3_2k90%.jpg

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
This is the end of the better redbud photos I took with the R5 & RF 800 lens.
I was very happy with the image quality from this long yet light & affordable lens (relatively speaking since it is a RF lens).
(After the next 2 photos I decided to try the same experiment by adding the RF 1.4TC to the RF 800mm f11 lens and I'll continue with some of those photos below)

White throated sparrow:
View attachment 198091

As I'm not an expert birder (not even close), I don't know what this bird is. I don't remember seeing it before.
If anyone knows, I'll gladly bow to them and enjoy knowing what you think it is.
View attachment 198094

Now I'll start with more redbud photos with the R5 and RF 800mm f11 with RF 1.4TC added.
I was curious what IQ you could get with it. I'm still on my back porch at a distance close to the 6m MFD of the 800mm lens.
Often times, this distance was a bit too close for some of the larger birds (EG doves), but that's also part of the test.

In post, one thing I'd like to mention is that I've found DXO PL4 gets really slow when you open up a file of a thousand or so images to grade and work on. So slow that I was forced to look for alternatives to grade them down to a reasonable number of just the best ones to use PL4 on. I chose FastRaw Viewer for this purpose, and am extremely happy with how well & fast it can view the raw files and also grade them to parse them down to just the best. It costs almost nothing and is amazingly configurable to taste, so if you ever want faster raw viewing/grading I highly recommend it.

These are still with PL4 with cropping to taste, +1 lens sharpness and deep prime output, with little to no other adjustments done.

House finch:View attachment 198097

View attachment 198098

View attachment 198099

I don't know if this is a Grackle or some other bird? :
View attachment 198100

View attachment 198101

Carolina Chickadee:
View attachment 198102

Cheers.

I think it might be a Eurasian tree sparrow/tree sparrow/German sparrow

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
An extremely rare visitor to England, a Glossy Ibis. I could have used John's 1120mm for this! I had just the chance of a couple of shots at 500mm and upscaled 2x. There was immediately a crowd of excited twitchers trying to get a glimpse of the bird and so I was really happy to get a full shot before it was partly hidden.

309A0187-DxO_Glossy_ibis_LS2-2_00x.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Thanks, Dockland & AlanF! (I'm a lot better and pressing the exposure button than knowing what all the birds are)

I'm not at all familiar with birds and their names, but we have thousands of those here where I live, and I knew the swedish name of the bird, so I looked up the english name on Wiki. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0