The Canon EOS R3 is out in the wild

Apr 25, 2011
The main advantages of mirrorless cameras seem to be the autofocus and the high frame rate, but as I only take photos of architecture,
Why would you need an OVF for that?

Isn't precise focusing allowed by EVF and live view better for that, especially with tilt-shift lenses?

The problem I have with OVFs is more philosphical. There is a value of seeing something with your own eyes. That's why I also to not like drone photography. The photos may look amazing, but they are "virtual" because nobody was actually up there with the drone and looking through the viewfinder. That is the basic idea of photography for me: You see something with your won eyes and capture that moment. Of course the exact moment you capture can't be seen because of the viewfinder blackout, but it is still a large difference to an EVF.

We probably live hundreds of kilometres apart, if you live in Switzerland, but technically I could have an R5, do a video with it, send you the video and you watch that video with your viewfinder. Then you would see exactly what I saw. For you it would look exactly as real as for me. That is the problem with a copy. It is not the original thing.

In 2015 the Queen visited my hometown. She passed by with her car, had her window down and waved. Prince Philip was sitting next to her. I was able to take some photos when they passed and saw both of them through my OVF. If I had an EVF back then, I would only have seen a digital copy of them. The same digital copy that I could send somebody else who then watches it on a screen or in another EVF. I am not so much into celebrities, but it was important for me to see them with my own eyes. I had the same feeling on the Olympic closing ceremony on Rio de Janeiro. I was very happy that I got a ticket and watched most of the show through my OVF to take tons of photos. Even if EVFS look more and more like reality, you know that they are not real. At some point in future they might build robots that look and behave like humans, but they will still be robots.
Looks more like a cult than philosophy, TBH.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Why would you need an OVF for that?

Isn't precise focusing allowed by EVF and live view better for that, especially with tilt-shift lenses?
Usually I use a wide angle like 15mm and f/8. So everything from about 1 metre to infinity is sharp. I would not even need autofocus for that. Even if I use 200mm for a skyscraper that is 500 metres away from me, the depth of field is huge. Everything from 125 metres to infitity will be in focus at f/8 with some rough guess of the focus. My shots usually do not have any bokeh at all. I prefer to have everything sharp.

Even with a tilt-shift lens like the 17mm f/4 it is very hard to get the focus wrong. I am not sure if live view would help at all, if everything looks still sharp after turning the focus wheel a little.

Of course live view is a nice addition, as it does not take away the mirror. Having more features is always appreciated.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
I keep coming back to this site for news on what watered down newly released spec-d camera can I buy with my $1000 budget and the majority of the posts are all on the cadillacs. I understand there are people who make their living needing the very best equipment. I am in a different category - average guy who needs a reason to ditch the IPhone and pick up a camera that costs just as much as the IPhone but gives me good pics and 4K video. No such thing from Canon besides maybe the M6 mark II. I have an M5 and my iPhone does just as well for the majority of the shots and gives me 4K video. I don’t want to carry a brick just to get marginally better results. Like having something that fits in a pocket. I think I am probably done owning a stand alone camera. I think I am the majority but this site caters to the pro’s who can’t make that choice for obvius reasons - which is why this site will have a hard time growing.
I keep waiting for any kind of Powershot update. I really want to see Powershots with advanced features like the eye autofocus, animal tracking, and possibly more computational photography tricks.

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
I really wish they'd add "motion trigger" ability to video (or high FPS continuous stills) so that you could leave a camera on a tripod and have it only record with sufficient motion happening (like a hummingbird landing on a feeder). Then you'd only have small bits of video or stills to worry about in post instead of gazillions of "nothing" to store and wade through in post.
I want this feature from many m43 cameras: Pre-photos or something like this.... the camera is recording 1-2secs before pushing the button!
Would be awesome for birds flying out of the tree-hole etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I want this feature from many m43 cameras: Pre-photos or something like this.... the camera is recording 1-2secs before pushing the button!
Would be awesome for birds flying out of the tree-hole etc.
The EOS M6II can kinda do that, in burst mode you can have it pre-record to a ring buffer that's 0.5 seconds. It didn't work for what I wanted to capture, solitary bees emerging out of their burrow and flying away, since the sensor readout is way too slow to freeze the wings.

Having used my R5 in e-shutter card filling mode a lot the past few days, I have to ask: do you want the pre-shooting to be stopped down or with a fully opened aperture? I can really notice how slow the aperture is in my 180L when it stops down when taking a picture.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Given the fact that the 1DsIII was 21mp, the 1DX was 18 and the mark II is 20.2, isn’t this rather psychological than practical ? I’d challenge anyone to see the difference.
Possibly, but to me who does make prints and did resample some 21 mp images I felt spending $6,000 and dropping pixel numbers by 15% yet prioritizing frame rates, that I didn’t really need, didn’t feel like a worthwhile upgrade to me.

I know the argument about linear resolution, but the way I looked at it was to look at a print, in that instance you are seeing 15% less information with a print from an 18mp sensor than you are if you already have a 21mp sensor (all else being equal).

And that final bit was the bit that made me go to the 1DX II, all else was not equal, the pixel quality especially at high, iso but even at base iso, was noticeably better than my 1DS III’s.

Upvote 0
Buying a $1000 lens that increases your total income over time by say $900 without requiring more working hours, leaving you the lens to sell for $300, is a lens that made money for you. It was a good investment.
Equipment should pay for itself several times over, not be bought thinking you will be able to capitalize on scrap value. "Good" investment, not really.

Upvote 0

sandhar

Birds, Places, Humans, Landscapes
Jun 2, 2021
sandharphotography.com
I have very small hands so the smaller R5 form factor has been great for me BUT the teeny, tiny back buttons that I use for different back button focus options are not so great for me because I do most of my shooting in cold weather with thick gloves which means it's almost impossible for me to discriminate the buttons by feel because of their small size. My solution has been to build them up with moldable silicone to be able to feel them through my gloves. The camera was great unmodified when I was not wearing gloves.
Catherine
View attachment 198286
Hi Catherine .. where did you get the body wrap for your R5 ?

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Possibly, but to me who does make prints and did resample some 21 mp images I felt spending $6,000 and dropping pixel numbers by 15% yet prioritizing frame rates, that I didn’t really need, didn’t feel like a worthwhile upgrade to me.

I know the argument about linear resolution, but the way I looked at it was to look at a print, in that instance you are seeing 15% less information with a print from an 18mp sensor than you are if you already have a 21mp sensor (all else being equal).

And that final bit was the bit that made me go to the 1DX II, all else was not equal, the pixel quality especially at high, iso but even at base iso, was noticeably better than my 1DS III’s.
You definitely need to grab one of the last 5DSRs while they are going cheap !

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
You definitely need to grab one of the last 5DSRs while they are going cheap !
I have been so tempted so often, and you are right I should! But the things that have held me back are I have embraced more sports and action shooting where the mp simply aren't an advantage, and the AF.

If Canon had done a modest 5DS upgrade, so it was based on the 5D IV vs the 5D III for my uses I think I'd have found it more appealing.

In the meantime I am happy stitching images like this, below, to get me 35 mp on an effective 24mm x 70mm sensor with my TS-E50.

_SF19974-Pano.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Unless they are residents of Japan, it looks more and more like the "best photographers in the world" will not be at the Tokyo Olympics if the only foreigners allowed in are the athletes and no one else.
You may be right, but I'd guess that the best (or at least best known) Olympic photographers would get special permission to attend. The Olympic commitee and those in control are pushing the Olympics to make money via broadcast income as the #1 priority (IMHO) and not having the best photographers attend would be against their best interest.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
If they add such a thing, I hope they add software focus limiters as well. The past few days I've been trying to film damselflies shedding their larval skin, which they tend to do on reeds which are swinging in the wind. The AF on the R5 is good enough to track motion, but if a hard gust blows it out of the frame, I don't want the lens to focus on the other side of the pond.

First attempt, with an R5 + 180mm L macro:

The 180mm has glacial AF, I really hope Canon releases an RF version with quad-nano-USM-turbo AF.
Yes, I absolutely wish Canon would add the menu ability to specify actual numbers for max & min limits to the focus distance allowed. That would be useful in general, but particularly critical for motion trigger long duration tripod video/intervalometer use. It would also help a lot in using their new zoom lenses that (regrettably) often have a 2 way switch (far only / all distances) instead of 3 way switches (far only / all distances / close only).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0