The Canon EOS R3 is out in the wild

rwvaughn

Live in the moment.
Mar 22, 2016
Southern Indiana, USA
I keep coming back to this site for news on what watered down newly released spec-d camera can I buy with my $1000 budget and the majority of the posts are all on the cadillacs. I understand there are people who make their living needing the very best equipment. I am in a different category - average guy who needs a reason to ditch the IPhone and pick up a camera that costs just as much as the IPhone but gives me good pics and 4K video. No such thing from Canon besides maybe the M6 mark II. I have an M5 and my iPhone does just as well for the majority of the shots and gives me 4K video. I don’t want to carry a brick just to get marginally better results. Like having something that fits in a pocket. I think I am probably done owning a stand alone camera. I think I am the majority but this site caters to the pro’s who can’t make that choice for obvius reasons - which is why this site will have a hard time growing.
The name of the site is Canon Rumors. I've never seen a legitimate photographer shoot a wedding professionally with an IPhone.

The RP is not much bigger than the M series and it's only a matter of time before the rebel line is replaced by smaller R series bodies. Physics dictates the size of really good fast glass and that's why the m series lenses are so slow.

Canon could produce some nice really fast m series glass but it would not be small. Sounds like you have accepted compromises and sounds like you can use an IPhone for the majority of your snapshots. Be happy with that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Maybe you should try out an R5 or even an R6 before making that statement. I used to feel the same way... then I made the move. Haven't missed the OVF one time. Your image is a digital copy of reality. The only difference is with mirrorless you will see exactly what that's going to look like when you hit the shutter. Add in better AF/Tracking and its hard to beat. The DSLR is absolutely dead. Nobody is going to make another serious DSLR so unless you are happy with using what you have or what's available now until the end you'll have to go mirrorless eventually.
The main advantages of mirrorless cameras seem to be the autofocus and the high frame rate, but as I only take photos of architecture, I never had a problem with autofocus and never need more than three frames per second. Having IBIS is nice, but if Canon wanted, they could also put IBIS into a DSLR.

It reminds me of electric cars. People are forced to buy an electric car sooner or later, because car manufacturers will only offer electric cars sooner of later. That does not mean that electric cars are better.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2010
The name of the site is Canon Rumors. I've never seen a legitimate photographer shoot a wedding professionally with an IPhone.

But people do shoot both award winning videos and photos with cameras in phone. The above statement is as much a reflection of the expectation of custimers as anything else.

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2010
My EF lenses work well on my R5, tyvm.

Yes, Canon provides a EF-RF adapter to prevent people from realising that EOS EF -> EOS RF is a moment that they can consider choosing Sony/Nikon.

EF lenses can be made to work on RF cameras but the equivalent RF lenses will work better - for example, faster and more reliable autofocus.

Upvote 0
Yes, Canon provides a EF-RF adapter to prevent people from realising that EOS EF -> EOS RF is a moment that they can consider choosing Sony/Nikon.

EF lenses can be made to work on RF cameras but the equivalent RF lenses will work better - for example, faster and more reliable autofocus.

While your second statement is true, I’ve also heard EF lenses adapted to RF cameras have faster and more reliable autofocus on RF than they do on their native EF mounts.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Trouble is the camera market is vastly diminished and all three of the big players have said they are aiming up market to the enthusiasts with good disposable income. If they can only sell 1/10 as many cameras they want to sell them for 10 times the money. So $400 Rebel kits are dead and $4,000 and up bodies have become the norm from all three.

on the flip side for people like you there are no end of crazy DSLR bargains to be had.
While I recognize this is the reality it doesn’t seem like the best business model. Lower cost of entry for people would get more people excited and wanting to buy equipment. It feels like the big 3 are almost pushing many people away and telling them they can have their iPhones. If they keep raising the prices so much, even enthusiasts like myself will eventually be tapped out. The pro photography world isn’t large enough to support the market on it’s own.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
It means it has an electronic port aligned with the hotshoe so hotshoe mounted accessories can have a more complicated interface with the camera. Like the M6 II Clip on EVF, Sony do a similar thing for mics that provide power to the mic from the camera and send audio to the camera directly.
Yes, but the question, what that means, also implicitly includes, whether it will be backwards-compatible and thus whether will still accept the old accessories like Speedlites and Speedlite-transmitters. (i guess the gps receiver won't be necessary on the R3).
Which I *assume* it will.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
its also a new stacked sensor, so unlikely to be high MP unless Canon has other stacked sensors out in other camera systems.
I don't see why it being a "new" stacked sensor inherently limits Canon from having a high MP sensor if it wanted to.
However, in my post, I did state my reasons that I thought it would be 25MP at a minimum (which is not a high MP sensor nowdays) or 2 other higher values if they wanted to.

Upvote 0
The main advantages of mirrorless cameras seem to be the autofocus and the high frame rate, but as I only take photos of architecture, I never had a problem with autofocus and never need more than three frames per second. Having IBIS is nice, but if Canon wanted, they could also put IBIS into a DSLR.

It reminds me of electric cars. People are forced to buy an electric car sooner or later, because car manufacturers will only offer electric cars sooner of later. That does not mean that electric cars are better.
The thing is though that they really are better. I've been doing this for 40 years and my keeper rate is definitely higher with the R5/R6 and I shot 1 Series cameras since the 1D2. I remember some of the same arguments from people when auto focus came out.

Using your car analogy, I'm sure there was a time when people thought the automobile was unnecessary and that the horse was better because it didn't need gas. It's more than just AF and Frame Rate. It's the ability to view and adjust your shot in real time. No blown exposures, no blown focus. You know exactly what you're getting as you setup the shot. Probably no convincing you to even try it out, but I can tell you that after shooting mirrorless almost a year I would never buy another DSLR.

Upvote 0
Maybe you should try out an R5 or even an R6 before making that statement. I used to feel the same way... then I made the move. Haven't missed the OVF one time. Your image is a digital copy of reality. The only difference is with mirrorless you will see exactly what that's going to look like when you hit the shutter. Add in better AF/Tracking and its hard to beat. The DSLR is absolutely dead. Nobody is going to make another serious DSLR so unless you are happy with using what you have or what's available now until the end you'll have to go mirrorless eventually.
I made the switch to the R5 from the mk4 and the only advantage to the DSLR is the longer battery life, and if I’m being honest the placement of the controls was more ergonomic on the mk4. I have larger hands and some carpal tunnel syndrome and it’s sometimes it’s more difficult ergonomically with the smaller form factor giving less room for manipulating the controls. I don’t understand the appeal of a smaller camera body, it’s not like you save that much room in a camera bag but you definitely lose some handling comfort. I am getting used to it though so some of it is muscle memory.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
My guess would be compliment. While I'm still holding out hope for 45+ mp, I'm guessing probably around 32. Quite frankly it would be better there than 45 for moving subjects. 45mp brings additional challenges to things that move. For a fast action camera I would rather have 32mp and not have to worry about motion blur between the pixels as much. I'm pretty sure the ultimate wildlife kit from Canon will include an R5 and an R3. R5 for the slow moving (perched birds, etc...) and the R3 (BIF, running animals, etc...). If so I will sell my R6 and keep my R5 with the R3. If the R3 is an absolute replacement I may sell the R5 and R6 and buy 2 R3s

I am thinking complement as well with the R5 and then the only question is what will the R1 bringing to the table in the next 12-24 months....

Upvote 0

Peter Bergh

CR Pro
Sep 16, 2020
... Only DLSRs are real cameras. ...
Only view cameras are real cameras.
Only pin-hole cameras are real cameras.

To me, a real camera is a widget that enables the user to capture images. A statement like "camera type X is the only real camera" is absurd.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would not really expect a neutral review by someone who got early access to a camera. If he said that the camera is shit, he would not get an early access next time.

Why should DLSRs be dead? Only DLSRs are real cameras. A mirrorless camera is just a smartphone camera with a bigger sensor. I might buy one, but only as a second camera. You can't replace an OVF. No digital copy of reality is as good as reality.
You do realize that the purpose of a viewfinder, whether OVF, EVF, LCD screen, or whatever, is to enable you to frame a shot, in order to produce a photo, which is, by definition (at least for digital cameras, whether DSLR or not) a digital copy of reality? Anyone who obsesses over the viewfinder has obviously lost sight of the whole purpose of photography. It sounds like you would be better served by a pair of binoculars than by a camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
While I recognize this is the reality it doesn’t seem like the best business model. Lower cost of entry for people would get more people excited and wanting to buy equipment. It feels like the big 3 are almost pushing many people away and telling them they can have their iPhones. If they keep raising the prices so much, even enthusiasts like myself will eventually be tapped out. The pro photography world isn’t large enough to support the market on it’s own.
Two things, first, they tried that business model and it failed because of the camera phone model. And second, most pros have a lot less money to spend on gear than ‘enthusiasts’.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yes, but the question, what that means, also implicitly includes, whether it will be backwards-compatible and thus whether will still accept the old accessories like Speedlites and Speedlite-transmitters. (i guess the gps receiver won't be necessary on the R3).
Which I *assume* it will.
It doesn’t imply that but it will be 100% backwards compatible. All earlier EX Speedlites will work on the R3.

Upvote 0