Canon EOS R3 to have a 30mp sensor? [CR1]

Aug 7, 2018
I am 100% sure R1 will be a sports-oriented camera unless there is a separate R1X.
If R3 was a 1DX replacement then it would have 2 CF Express slots.
Yes, I do not understand why the R3 has two different cards. For professionals it is quite annoying to have two different cards for redundancy and if one of them is slower, redundant writing to both cards can only go as fast as the slower card can handle it. Imagine you really want to write 30 images per second in RAW+JPEG to both cards. Can the SD card in the R3 do it? Of course it could also write on the faster card first and then copy it to the slower card directly after the shutter is released. But that would be risky if the faster card is already faulty.

Maybe we will even see an R2 released together with the R1 like the R6 that was released with the R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
I find the 80 MP slow and 20 MP fast quad-pixel AF rumor quite plausible.
Tony Northrup made a video about that idea. He showed that it would cause some problems for the high resolution image, as such a configuartion would need a different Bayer filter. To combine four pixels to one, the Bayer filter of those pixels would need to have the same colour and that would cause problems in certain situations. He talks about that in the R1 rumors video he posted two or three months ago.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I am jealous of the low prices in some countries. Here in germany the R5 is 4,499 Euros in most stores. The cheapest offer at the moment is 4,379 Euros. The cheapest price of the 1D X is 7,114. Only the R6 is quite cheap at the moment with 2,279 Euros because of the Canon Cashback. I am sure that the R3 will cost at least 6,000 Euros in Germany and the R1 mights be close to 9,000 Euros, if the 8,500 dollars are true for the US.

Maybe it would be worth buying those cameras in a low price country. Even with the costs of a flight they might still be cheaper. Customs in Germany could cause problems those.
That 20-21% VAT really hurts, doesn’t it?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I am 100% sure R1 will be a sports-oriented camera unless there is a separate R1X.
If R3 was a 1DX replacement then it would have 2 CF Express slots.
I am 100% sure that I have no idea what the R1 will be (if there is an R1 -- as Canon has yet to say anything that would indicate they even plan an R1).

The specs of the R3 that we know of so far would indicate that the R3 will be a better camera for sports than the 1DxIII in my opinion as a 1DxIII owner and sports shooter.

The idea that the R1 would be a "studio" camera is kind of silly -- the traditional specs of 1 series cameras offer very little for studio shooters and in fact if you watch any videos from top studio/fashion/wedding photographers, they almost all seem to use 5 series cameras.

No doubt, if there is an R1 in the cards, it will be the best of the best, but what that entails I have no idea, other than it would have two CF Express slots, which is hardly enough on its own to differentiate it from the R3.

If I had to guess, I would predict that whatever else the R1 is, its primary target audience will not be professionals, but rather enthusiasts who have wads of money to spend for the right to say they own the best. What Canon might put into such a camera, I have no idea.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I wrote about the two card situation before, but since it’s been brought up again I’ll mention is again.. there are slots that are dual, in that they will accept either of these two cards. While maybe unlikely, because I’m not sure of the production numbers of these, it’s always possible that Canon could/would use these, to allow different combinations of cards.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Imagine you really want to write 30 images per second in RAW+JPEG to both cards. Can the SD card in the R3 do it? ...

In my opinion, people are making too much of this. If your goal is to write to both cards as a backup, the solution is simple. Write to the CF Express card in raw and write to the SD card in JPG. Since the SD card is there as a backup only, the JPGs can be used to salvage the images if for some reason the CFExpress card fails. JPGs aren't ideal, but they aren't as unusable as some people think. If you aren't competent enough to get a good image in Photoshop out of a JPG, that's your problem, not Canon's.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

Prefocus

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I am jealous of the low prices in some countries. Here in germany the R5 is 4,499 Euros in most stores. The cheapest offer at the moment is 4,379 Euros. The cheapest price of the 1D X is 7,114. Only the R6 is quite cheap at the moment with 2,279 Euros because of the Canon Cashback. I am sure that the R3 will cost at least 6,000 Euros in Germany and the R1 mights be close to 9,000 Euros, if the 8,500 dollars are true for the US.

Maybe it would be worth buying those cameras in a low price country. Even with the costs of a flight they might still be cheaper. Customs in Germany could cause problems those.
Prices are mostly quoted without tax, especially in the USA where taxes vary by state, while in Germany they are almost always including 19% tax and some dues for certain technologies (30 minute recording limit is there for this reason) Yes, even after deducing the 19% you might often pay more, but the gap is much smaller when you consider US citizens adding their local tax in their head in the supermarket all the time because prices are declared without tax even there.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Prices are mostly quoted without tax, especially in the USA where taxes vary by state, while in Germany they are almost always including 19% tax and some dues for certain technologies (30 minute recording limit is there for this reason) Yes, even after deducing the 19% you might often pay more, but the gap is much smaller when you consider US citizens adding their local tax in their head in the supermarket all the time because prices are declared without tax even there.
In many cases (but by no means all) food is not subject to sales tax (which is the kind of tax you are thinking of). And some states don't have sales tax at all.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
What is an anonymous source? Someone who just contacted you and told you that number? If he knows the number, why does he just say "around"?

We already know that it probably does not have 8K, because 4K was mentioned. So it has less than the 39.3 megapixels needed for 8K, which is very good news.

If it has 30 megapixels, the question is if it is worth buying know or if it would be better two save another $2000 or so more and wait another year or so with the R1 with a much better 20 mepapixel or so sensor. How much time or money would the upgrade from 30 to 20 megapixels be worth?
You really need to put your outrage and sarcasm in a bottle and toss it in the ocean.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
I remember that in the US you can avoid sales tax, if you show a foreign passport. In Singapore foreigners get the sales tax back at the airport. They just have to scan a code form the receipt and put their credit card into a machine. Then the sales tax refund is added to the credit card account. I have to check the prices in Singapore.

• Wow
Upvote 0

csibra

I'm not an M6 for sure
Jul 21, 2017
Hungary
The R5 has 20FPS with 45MP, then having 30FPS in the same "capability" means that the sensor should be "smaller" in the same ratio, giving us a sensor of about 30-32.5MP. In general, for the kind of need for the R3, 32.5MP sensor more than enough, mind all that the 1Dx has only 20MP, which will probably be the same number for the R1.
You doesn't count the stacked sensor. Stacked sensors gives higher read out speed, so it can be higher MP with 30 fps. It depends on picture processing speeds too...

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Probably same sensor as Sony A1.

It is suggested to be a new stacked sensor developed in house. They only usually use Sony sensors in the lower end bodies. If it is the Sony sensor then we can except to see some Nikon magic to get it down to ISO 64 and producing better colours, it'll also lay to rest that Sony wont sell their best sensors to competitors.... even when to the sensor devision, Nikon is as big or bigger customer than the Sony camera division.

At the very worst it is a A1 in a pro body with much better glass.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I can't imagine the R1 having a low rez sensor. The Nikon Z9 will have approx 50 mp for the flagship assuming its the same sensor as Sony A1, with a pro body unlike the Sony. I therefore doubt the R1 will be any lower. If it has a lower resolution, what is the value proposition over the R3? Dual CF express card slots? 40 fps?

If we assume that the R3 will sell for $5K, and the R1 will sell for $7K (inline with a 1 series price) what would the extra $2K get me? Global shutter? At that price difference, I would stick with the R3.

Upvote 0