Canon EOS R3 to have a 30mp sensor? [CR1]

I think it's funny how people get hung up on MP. More MP does not make a camera superior. It's nice in some situations to have super-high resolution but as a demanding Wildlife photographer I have to say that sometimes 45 is too much. Pixel density can become a problem with fast moving subjects. If I'm in Alaska shooting a fishing bear or a perched Eagle then yes, 45mp is great. If I'm trying to shoot something that moves fast I have to bump my shutter speeds (and ISO) way higher than I ever did on my 1 Series cameras to get a sharp photo.

I'm excited for the R3 at 30(some) megapixels. I won't have to fight with pixel density and the LP-19 battery is going to drive my 600f4 II faster getting me better target acquisition. This has always been a problem with LP-6 based cameras from the 7D on. Battery life will also be better than a gripped R5 from my experience with those batteries. So for $6000 you're going to be getting much better tech that is designed for fast action. Maybe less resolution, but with better tracking and acquisition, probably better EVF, faster readout speeds, a truly sealed body, etc.. . Remember that the 1DX only had 18mp (and the 1DX II/III only 20) and cost more than this camera and you certainly didn't see it replaced on sidelines with 5DIVs. As far as the A1, from what I'm reading you can get 30fps at 51mp, but only in very limited conditions.

I'll be keeping my gripped R5 for slow stuff, but the R3 will likely become my action camera.

I am hobbyist who spent way too much on gear to play with. I don't see myself in the long run owning this many bodies and 3 systems of glass. I would rather have 1 body that can do everything I wanted. Cropping helps me a lot for some of the other stuff I do outside of wildlife. I will buy the R3 and play around with it, that I already know, but I think the price point if it was 6k is too much. That would make the R1 flagship into 8k territory. I get that the 1dx miii was 20 mp and cost more as a flagship. We will all see soon enough what Canon has, but I am just hoping its not the 6k price tag as it is rumored to be. As for the A1 the biggest limitation to the 30 fps is probably the requirement is Sony branded glass (which some need serious refreshes) ., the compressed raw etc all that doesn't bother me much. For someone with no real brand loyalty, you can see that I am weighing results( or specs) vs price points. I would not choose body with less functionality for a similar to price point to a more functional body. The a1 really is a great body (grip is needed for sure) but Sony's glass doesn't compete imo. If I could slap my RF glass onto a sony body that would be great lol.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
What is it that makes people think this is an 'upgrade' from another camera like the R5? It isn't!!! It is a DIFFERENT camera for DIFFERENT purposes. Megapickles do not the camera make. I just cant understand the mentality that everything has to be some sort of trade in upgrade. if a status symbol is what you want then go get a LIECA or 100mp MF body. If not, then see the various options out there as exactly that. OPTIONS. Not replacements.
Yep, people complained that the R6 had fewer MP than the R.
It is not really an upgrade to the RP either since the bodies are so different but I can see how people could make that argument.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
And here I was thinking we don't talk about DR anymore because Canon isn't behind Sony anymore! But that can't be, the Sony crowd would never steer the discussion on this forum... :p
"12 MP is enough for anybody."
"Who needs 8K?"
"How can Canon release a new camera with less than 50 MP and without 8K video?"

Upvote 0
Yep, I'm one of those that never got along well with the A7RIV + 200-600 combo, granted it could have been a biological interface error, but I always had the feeling that the camera is extremely sensitive to the slightest shake and its IBIS is very poor. Had much better results with the A7III and even better results with the Oly EM1X when shooting handheld. Goes to show that we all value different specs differently I guess, to me, a top of the line IBIS seems to be the deal breaker well over resolution.

Regarding the R3, 30MPX hits the spot for me (as if it matters what I think :LOL:). As someone has mentioned, will allow me to keep the rest of my workflow untouched without the need for a new laptop and without messing up my HD/backup lifecycle too much.

I'm honestly happy to see how varied opinions are here, with some of us all in for the R3 and others clamouring for higher res, it's proof that the market still has places to go and is not as stuck as it seemed to be. Of course I feel the pain of those disappointed, but it's just a matter of waiting and is not like there isn't an R5 option.
I also think it is a smart move from Canon. It is way easier to convince someone like me, that's happy with 30MPX, to bite the bullet and get a 60,70,80 mpx body than the other way around. This way they ensure they maintain market segmentation and probably even have some individuals (pros and deep pocketed enthusiast) buy the lower res and higher res models.
We definitely all have our reasons for the camera we find right for us. I had been waiting for a high resolution camera with good autofocus and a reasonable buffer since I got rid of my 1DIV and 5D2, and the A7RIV was the first to hit the mark. The R5 came a little later and I absolutely love both cameras. When they came out I probably would have bought the less expensive R6 if it had come in the same resolution as the R but I have gotten used to being able to crop and still have enough for 20x30 prints and I don't find 20MPixels is enough for me anymore. My other camera at the moment is the 5DS which is what I original replaced the 1DIV. Seems like I tend towards that high resolution and dealt with slower fps up until the latest cameras gave me both.

The R3 is likely to be an amazing workhorse, and I doubt you will be disappointed if that new sensor delivers as I expect it to. I can't wait to see how good the autofocus is with that fast electronic shutter. Even if it is "only as good" as the R5 it is still going to be quite a fantastic camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Thanks for deciding for me not to spend $6,000 Canon. Haha Honestly this should be a crop sensor R7. 30 megapixel crop is 30 frames per second with a better autofocus is perfect. I'd buy that in a second. 30 megapixel full frame when they already have a 50 megapixel 20 frames per second camera out? For most likely $2,000 extra? Haha Nah. Good luck with that.

Upvote 0
Yeah I don't see how people are disappointed with this. If the BSI sensor works as advertised then 30mp is quite impressive for an action camera.

I'm sure all those 45mp comes in handy when your image ends up as a 1080x1080 square on Instagram.
If you have to crop any wildlife pictures you're damn right they will come in handy.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Comments like those you’ve made about ‘higher mp needing faster speeds to stop movement’ are normally greeted with the equivalence argument.
However I have to say I’ve found the same thing with the 5DS - even when I do reduce the output size to 20mp……..
I've seen this on occasion. Oversampling always preserves more detail than directly sampling. A 50mp image scaled down to 20mp will be sharper and have more detail than an image captured on a 20mp sensor. But by the same token blur captured at 50mp can remain in a 20mp scaled down version.

The band between no blur on either and blur on both...where 50mp shows blur but 20mp does not...is rather narrow though. You need to bump shutter speeds on a 45mp or 50mp sensor. But the bump shouldn't have to be large versus a 20mp sensor, much less a 30mp one.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The R1 is going to have a 200MP sensor with 60fps electronic shutter, 16k 120fps RAW video with global shutter, 20 stops image stabilization, octa-pixel autofocus, completely water proof up to 200 meters and it will fit in your pocket.

And it's not going to be called the R1, it will be called the R you satisfied?
Depends...what's the dynamic range? :sneaky:

Upvote 0
The 30mp sensor seems a bit boring to me. Is this supposed to be an update over the R5? I’m not so sure it is. Can we assume “raw” would have to be a crop, since oversampled 4K would not be “raw”?
This is shaping up to be a pass for me. I’ll wait and see what the R1 brings before making any decisions. I’m in no hurry. My current cameras are pretty awesome.
I agree entirely, I like my 45 mp R5 so will wait for the R1 . Once you get a taste of 45 mp anything less is a big NO !

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
No one said Canon was lying. But try 21 shots on half battery or with the SD card or any of the other things that slow it down. Like on the 1DX, it is 14 FPS on paper, 12 FPS with AE/AF and the lens at 1/1000. This isn't a Canon thing, all manufacturers can only do their max FPS if enough conditions are met. The Sony A1 is reportedly getting to 15 FPS on third party lenses and only the full 30 on the latest Sony lenses.
It was with half battery: Canon's ES fps doesn't slow down with battery drain. The SD card is more than fast enough for a 21 shot burst - the cache on the R5 is about 2Gb or 40 shots of full RAW. But, that's beside the point - the camera has a CFExpress slot. Complaining that everything has to be right to get maximum performance is like complaining your car doesn't get the stated mpg when driving up hill.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
It is kinda sad that we don't talk about DR anymore. That's all we used to do even a couple of years ago and it was so much fun. Those were the golden days of CR.
Well, we had the hot 8k video overheating topic, but that's cooling down since nearly nobody shoots 8k 30+ minute takes in real life. So we have to find something else. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

It was with half battery: Canon's ES fps doesn't slow down with battery drain. The SD card is more than fast enough for a 21 shot burst - the cache on the R5 is about 2Gb or 40 shots of full RAW. But, that's beside the point - the camera has a CFExpress slot. Complaining that everything has to be right to get maximum performance is like complaining your car doesn't get the stated mpg when driving up hill.

I don't think you get me here. I am not complaining. I am stating that the maximum FPS on cameras, even the 1DX has always required multiple conditions to be met. The R5 FPS does slow down when the battery remaining drops and you mention this yourself https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...e-r5-and-electronic-shutter.39310/post-869112 and we have cameras like the 1DxIII that gets 20 FPS with the mirror up. The list of conditions is not aimed at any specific camera nor brand.

Upvote 0
Bah! It's 27% in Hungary. But professional shooters can get it back. Only private users needs to pay it.
I keep telling people that they should have an accountant to help them with capital expenses, depreciation, etc. But you’d be surprised at how many pros don’t understand any of that.

Upvote 0
Are you talking about the combined CFe type A/SD card slot that the A1 has? Type A cards are prohibitively expensive and hard to get and only made by Sony at this time. Canon and others use Type B cards which are physically larger, been available for longer, faster, and have multiple manufacturers.

Can you point to an example for a combined SD card/CFe Type B slot?
No this is for the larger cards.

Upvote 0
Here in New Zealand an R5 is NZD 6,800 which is about USD 4,900 and we have a 15% sales tax but at least we get a full 5 year warranty which is better than the 2 years in Europe or the 1 year limited warranty in the USA
I’m just responding to the complaint at how expensive it is there.

about ten years ago when my daughter was accepted to The University Of The Arts, London (we’re in NYC), I asked whether we should buy her a Macbook Pro in London, or here in NYC. We were told to buy it in NYC and have her bring it over because it was more expensive there, and they were right. In addition to the, I think it was, 20% VAT, they added an additional 10% because there wasn’t some minimum of parts made in the UK. It was a LOT more there.

Upvote 0