Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I've installed it. Tried it out on a couple of images and it's spot on!

Edit: Thank You Alan!!
I tried it out today. First, it identified plants and trees directly through the phone camera. Then, I took some bird images with the R5, enlarged them in the viewfinder, put the iPhone looking through the viewfinder and Seek identified the birds. Thanks HenryL!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I'm glad I was able to contribute by sharing that little gem of an app. I didn't know it did plants, too. I'm even more impressed now! Alan, I need to thank you, too. My RF 2xTC arrived today, which I ordered only after seeing your outstanding demonstrations of it's capabilities these last few weeks. Popped it on the R5 + 100-500 after work and captured these guys out in the yard.

Northern Mockingbird with a snack (that's actually my neighbors fence about 20m away)
R5_102_7343_DxO.jpg

House Wren - never noticed these guys before. They're tiny so I'm not surprised.
R5_102_7371_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
On 29 May I posted some photos of Peregrine Falcon chicks on a cliff ledge and here is one more, followed by some from this afternoon. They take 5 to 6 weeks to fledge plus a couple of months of teaching by the parents to hunt. More fun to come. But, my how they have grown in 2 1/2 weeks.

309A8326-DxO_peregrine_falcon_chicks+adult_vvgSH.jpg309A8069-DxO_1000mm_Peregrine_falcon_chicks.jpg309A8131-DxO_1000mm_Peregrine_falcon_chick.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
On 29 May I posted some photos of Peregrine Falcon chicks on a cliff ledge and here is one more, followed by some from this afternoon. They take 5 to 6 weeks to fledge plus a couple of months of teaching by the parents to hunt. More fun to come. But, my how they have grown in 2 1/2 weeks.

View attachment 198396View attachment 198397View attachment 198398
Simply beautiful birds! Thanks for sharing Alan, I look forward to more in the future.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I simply thought these two were "Pigeons" or "Doves" then I checked Wikipedia and was a bit overwhelmed :)

f/4 - 1/800s - ISO 2000 - @600mm

View attachment 198353
If you look for some Swedish birds don't forget to add "Sweden" in the search...
For example there are not that much "Doves" or/and "Pigeons" in Sweden - Try it! In this case look at the broad white collar on the neck!

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I tried it out today. First, it identified plants and trees directly through the phone camera. Then, I took some bird images with the R5, enlarged them in the viewfinder, put the iPhone looking through the viewfinder and Seek identified the birds. Thanks HenryL!
Interesting! I have to try this but I'm really skeptic about identifying really difficult birds by this app - by many reasons!
There is nothing better than a good book/article and careful (and long...) reading!

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Interesting! I have to try this but I'm really skeptic about identifying really difficult birds by this app - by many reasons!
There is nothing better than a good book/article and careful (and long...) reading!
I certainly don’t expect it to identify precisely difficult examples or bad photos. But, it’s a great entry point for newcomers. I remember well the hours I spent when I first started looking through books and websites trying to find out what I had seen. When it can’t identify the sub-species, it does give the class of bird so you have a starting point. What I am now using it for is wild flowers and trees As I do know all the local birds.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful shot, Click. How can you tell it's a "green" one? (just curious)

Thank you, usern4cr.

Some information here about the Green heron: The Four Keys to ID.

Another lovely series. Well done!

Cheers!

Upvote 0