The sensor in the upcoming Canon EOS R3 is designed and manufactured by Canon

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
“The G7 X Mark III's 20MP 1"-type sensor uses a Stacked CMOS design which, up until now, has only been found on Sony cameras.”

The information is kept pretty secret. Gordon Laing wrote in his review:
"The sensor is probably the same as Sony’s older RX100 IV which means the G7X III may gain 4k and extra speed but sadly not the phase-detect AF introduced on the later RX100 Mark V which means the autofocus is less confident than the latest Sonys"

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Who cares who manufactures the sensor? It was invented and designed by Canon. Who cares if Canon goes to TSMC to make it? or goes to Intel to make it? or goes to Samsung to make it? or, gasp, goes to Sony to make it. It's still a Canon invention. Apple doesn't care who manufactures their M1 processor as long as they can get the quantities and pricing they want. Microsoft has multiple companies making the Xbox machines. No one ever says, "that's a Wistron machine." "That's a Foxconn machine." "that's a pegatron machine." as long as the manufacturer can pump out the devices at a reasonable price, that's all they care about. Sony's imaging division doesn't really make money because of the manufacturing. They make money because of the sensors they invent.

Anyway, it's all a moot point. Canon says they both designed and manufactured the sensor. but even if they designed it but had a third party build it, it's still a Canon part.
people think canon sensors kinda suck becuase of how stagnant they were since the 5d4.

Upvote 0
The R5 has 2.4 and 5GHz but no GPS, and no network transfer connectivity. I’d expect the R3 to have 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi, full transfer connectivity functions (like you get by adding the WFT grip to the R5 or WFT dongle to the 1DX III) but no GPS. I’d then expect the R1 to have everything internal.

But maybe the new hotshoe port is the new WFT and GPS/GP-E2 style accessory port. Although I doubt it would be the WFT port because I believe they have had their time and are now obsolete in the top end cameras, and I don’t see that being popular with news photographers that use the WFT and a hotshoe mounted flash, I see lots of them in newscasts in DC etc.

personally I use a 1DX II with WFT and with CamRangers, and I really like having GPS as a search term so including it all would be a lovely bonus I doubt I’ll get!
I doubt that an upgraded hotshoe (with spring loaded contacts) could match the data rates that 5 GHz WiFi can provide, ie transfer speeds of >1 Mb/s, considering the care that must be taken when making wired ethernet connections at that speed (ie double-shielding of cables and connectors...)

On my 5D3 I can have either GPS or a flash mounted, but not both. And the GPS-receiver is a piece of additional hardware that makes the camera larger. In sum, it would be very nice to have GPS in the camera all the time.

I can see your point that press photographers would appreciate to have WFT plus GPS at the same time. (I wasn't aware the R5 had WiFi but not WFT-capabilities, but I'm surprised). And in a studio environment it would be nice to have WFT plus flash transmitter at the same time. So it would be very convenient to have WFT capabilities implemented in the body itself. After all, I'm sure its just software (that could even be implemented in the R5).

Upvote 0
No, the overheating isn't caused by the sensor. It is the processor that generates the "heat" and the insufficient heatsink that causes the "over".
Your are right.
But don't forget the CFexpress card and card slot chip. These two produce the head the camera can't handle for long time. I think the technology is there not ready for such high bitrates.
If you use an external recorder, there are no overheating problems.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Your are right.
But don't forget the CFexpress card and card slot chip. These two produce the head the camera can't handle for long time. I think the technology is there not ready for such high bitrates.
If you use an external recorder, there are no overheating problems.
The R5 camera outputs video data in HDMI format to the external recorder. I thinkt that reduces the load on the main processor greatly, because it doesn't have to compress that into h.265 format, that is done externally in the recorder. So the problem is the heat off the processor, not off the CFexpress chip or card.

Upvote 0
Does it matter who designed and manufactured the image sensor? I'd prefer the best hardware out there regardless of origin of design & manufacturer
To me it matters. I've disliked Sony as a company since way before they were in the ILC business. Their attitude towards standards etc. I would never buy anything that has a main component manufactured by them.

It would also not look promising for the future if the Company whos system I'm investing into is dependent on their main competitor. Then they will then always be at a disadvantage. That goes for all companies.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
And PS, it’s gonna cost 6999 euro. As we know from Canon. You’d expect it to be 4999 so Canon will add up a bit to make the price unreal and unfair, as we know Canon policy for years.
R1 will be 11.000 euro’s ... after pricedrop (6m) it will be 9999 euro’s
This is how it’s gonna be, if you like it or not.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0