Are you experiencing this phenomenon with IBIS on your Canon EOS R5?

I really think at 24mm 1/125 should be enough, especially with IS & IBIS, hence my assertion that there is an issue, I took 15 odd shots at 24 and 35mm at 1/125 to 1/160 and everyone is blurry. At 24mm one should be able to get sharp photos at 1/30, but as soon as you you get upwards of 1/200 the photos are sharp. So definitely something wrong.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I really think at 24mm 1/125 should be enough, especially with IS & IBIS, hence my assertion that there is an issue, I took 15 odd shots at 24 and 35mm at 1/125 to 1/160 and everyone is blurry. At 24mm one should be able to get sharp photos at 1/30, but as soon as you you get upwards of 1/200 the photos are sharp. So definitely something wrong.
Be sure to try lower speeds as well, the 1/100s - 1/200s range is where virtuall all Canon IS systems fall down. Go slower and it's sharp, go faster and it's sharp as well.

Since I don't have any fast (brighter than f/1.8) lenses, I use either EFCS or ES which don't suffer from this phenomenon, only fully mechanical seems to.

Upvote 0
Be sure to try lower speeds as well, the 1/100s - 1/200s range is where virtuall all Canon IS systems fall down. Go slower and it's sharp, go faster and it's sharp as well.

Since I don't have any fast (brighter than f/1.8) lenses, I use either EFCS or ES which don't suffer from this phenomenon, only fully mechanical seems to.
Yip, it was shutter shock, set shutter mode from mechanical to EFCS and all is fine, thanks. Pity though that mechanical is so dodgy at those slower speeds though...

Upvote 0
In March of this year, I bought an eos r6 with 1.4.0 firmtware and use ef lenses (16-35 / 4 L IS, 24-105 / 4 L IS and 70-300 / 4-5.6 L IS). The shots are unique and always in focus.

This week, however, I also tested the ef 24-70 / 2.8 L, which does not have an IS system, and noticed that the first shot in the series is almost always out of focus or shifted, and the next shots are sharp. I noticed the same problem with ef 85 / 1.8, ef 50 / 1.8 and ef 35/2 lenses, which do not have an IS system. The problem occurs if I have IS mode on / Still photo IS / Only for shot set on the camera. The shifted image appears both at long times, e.g. 1/15 second, as short, e.g. 1/1000 second. Apparently, IBIS starts too late, only during the first shot, when the shutter of the camera is already open, and in the initial start-up moves the sensor so that the image is blurred or. shaken. When it starts working, the following shots are sharp.

However, if I switch to IS mode on / Still photo IS / Allways, there is no problem and the first and next shots are sharp.

Upvote 0
The known and verified issue was supposed to be fixed with firmware 1.4.0. Someone on the DPReview forum verified it for the R6 (see https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65299775). I have an R5 and verified that the R5's firmware update a few weeks later fixed the issue.

The known issue cause rotation in the corners. Typically the center of the image looks sharp, but the corners look blurry. It looks like the IBIS is rotating the image slightly. A quick way to check without having to download images:

1. In the Play (blue) menu tab 4 set the Magnification (3rd item) to Magnification (apx) actual size from selected point
  2. Set the focus point to be one of the corners.
  3. Take picture(s) and then on playback on the back LCD use the magnify button. It will zoom into the focus point in the corner.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Why is it mostly gone in the second picture!? I am focusing in servo for seconds before the first picture is taken, and press the button extremely carefully every time.
I have been shooting Sony for years without this issues, I know how to handle shooting at slow shutter speeds, how to hold my breath, etc.
And both pictures are taken separately, it means, it’s not a burst of pictures, but holding half, fully press, go back to holding half, fully press, etc (I can do it several times and ONLY the first one is shaken and ONLY when ibis is set to always on).
I notice this too with EFCS. The first picture is ALWAYS blurry. So this does NOT happen with MS or ES, only with EFCS. I have gotten in the habit of just taken that first picture after waking up the camera and waste it, knowing after that first shutter release, all other pictures will be sharp.

Upvote 0
Does it occur regardless of shutter mode? 1st curtain, Mech, and Silent give the same results?
When I use EFCS, the first picture is blurry. It doesn't happen with ES or MS. My work around this problem is, turn the camera on, take a shot (don't even frame, it's going to be blurry), than the following will all be sharp.

Upvote 0
Because mechanical shutter (meaning fully mechanical) may cause shutter shock, visible at slow shutter speeds (the first mechanical curtain creates a shake that introduces the blur). It is better to use EFCS (electronic first curtain shutter) or fully electronic.
Now that I’m thinking, maybe that is the software bug? Maybe ibis is somehow programmed to counteract the shake of the mechanical shutter no matter what kind of shutter is selected, and when the camera is set in other than fully mechanical, we see this overcompensation (but only in the first picture...)
Yes. I also use EFCS or ES and only MS at high SS and wide open like 1.4 or 2. Problem is, with EFCS, after turning the camera on the first picture will be blurry, always. Very annoying but knowing this I just waste a shot, i.e. take a picture without even framing, knowing that the following will be ok.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yes. I also use EFCS or ES and only MS at high SS and wide open like 1.4 or 2. Problem is, with EFCS, after turning the camera on the first picture will be blurry, always. Very annoying but knowing this I just waste a shot, i.e. take a picture without even framing, knowing that the following will be ok.
Didn’t that get fixed 2 firmware releases ago?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0