Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
If someone here has the knowledge, please help. Regularly, in Gmail, I notice I'm not getting notified of this thread and a couple others I always read. I sometimes forget to check Spam if I'm busy and end up way behind. I click Not Spam and that doesn't do the full remedial action so I've created a filter, which works for maybe a few days and then back in Spam they go. I've revisited the filter to no avail, it just keeps happening. As you can appreciate this is a major irritant that I could do without.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If someone here has the knowledge, please help. Regularly, in Gmail, I notice I'm not getting notified of this thread and a couple others I always read. I sometimes forget to check Spam if I'm busy and end up way behind. I click Not Spam and that doesn't do the full remedial action so I've created a filter, which works for maybe a few days and then back in Spam they go. I've revisited the filter to no avail, it just keeps happening. As you can appreciate this is a major irritant that I could do without.

Jack
Hi Jack, I gave up on the mail notification because it was so inconsistent. Same thing happens with the bell icon and the ‘latest activity’ they don’t agree with each other, ‘latest activity’ often doesn’t show replies to your own comment.

Also my post number has hover below 10,000 for about 4 years, I get close then I lose a couple of thousand posts, then it goes back up, very slowly.

I think the forum software has a lot of glitches.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thank You :)

But does every living bird have such a band? Can't recall seeing it before. Who does this? Anyone?
Only the ones that are caught by bird ringers (we call them rings in the UK and probably elsewhere). They either catch them as chicks in or near nests before they have fully fledged or catch adult birds in mist nets or by other means. Here are some photos I took in Jerusalem at a bird centre of a Robin in a mist net and a Hoopoe being ringed.IMG_6456_Robin_in_mist_net copy.jpgIMG_6421_Hoopoe_being_ringed copy.jpgIMG_6454_Hoopoe_after_ringing copy.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hi Jack, I gave up on the mail notification because it was so inconsistent. Same thing happens with the bell icon and the ‘latest activity’ they don’t agree with each other, ‘latest activity’ often doesn’t show replies to your own comment.

Also my post number has hover below 10,000 for about 4 years, I get close then I lose a couple of thousand posts, then it goes back up, very slowly.

I think the forum software has a lot of glitches.
Misery loves company so I guess that helps. ;) I've found if I unwatch and watch every few times that it's fairly reliable but I tend to be so engaged in various jobs that I'm not very faithful about such things - must mend my ways!

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Only the ones that are caught by bird ringers (we call them rings in the UK and probably elsewhere). They either catch them as chicks in or near nests before they have fully fledged or catch adult birds in mist nets or by other means. Here are some photos I took in Jerusalem at a bird centre of a Robin in a mist net and a Hoopoe being ringed.View attachment 198466View attachment 198467View attachment 198468
Nice, it amazes me how non-aggressive they tend to be.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Misery loves company so I guess that helps. ;) I've found if I unwatch and watch every few times that it's fairly reliable but I tend to be so engaged in various jobs that I'm not very faithful about such things - must mend my ways!

Jack
It's an Internet forum, who cares if we don't give it our full attention! I used to worry if I thought a comment had gone unanswered but now, not so much....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I love seeing small birds with insects in their beaks on their way to feed their chicks. This Sedge Warbler was flitting hidden in bushes and the reeds and grasses, and this is the best shot I got (100-500mm). I usually don't like the bird to be obscured, but this one looks quite natural, if you get me.

_09A8473-DxO_sedge_warbler+insects-_ls2.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0