Place your bets! What do you think the R3 will cost?

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Greetings!
We have the information from Canon that the R3 pricing will undercut the competition. From what we know, though, the specs of the R3 don't quite line up with any competition we know about anyway. It is rumored to have more megapixels and FPS than the 1DXiii and the Sony A9. But it is also rumored to have fewer megapixels than the A1 and Z9 and the R5. This camera may meet the needs for most sports and journalism photography while falling short for small or skittish wildlife. While sharing a lot in common with the 1 series bodies, this camera is in a class of its own. Canon has specifically said this is NOT their flagship.

So... With just a few days left to go, what do you think the price will be, and why? The winner receives the right to brag about being right during the dozens of pre-R1-release threads.

Good luck!

D

Deleted member 381342

But isn't the R5 better in almost all aspects?
Not even remotely. The R5 only has more pixels on its side, everything else is well behind the R3. We will see when the R3 is in photographs hands just how much of a difference it is, but already I expect much faster startup time, and for the EVF to much better keep up with the subjects.

Upvote 0
Not even remotely. The R5 only has more pixels on its side, everything else is well behind the R3. We will see when the R3 is in photographs hands just how much of a difference it is, but already I expect much faster startup time, and for the EVF to much better keep up with the subjects.

Why doesn't they put a 45+ MP sensor in it? I mean, why the downgrade?

Upvote 0
It’s got a BSI stacked sensor, that’s a huge upgrade. The 1Dx3 and Nikon D6 also have less pixels than the 5d4 and Nikon d850. On both accounts I would take a 1d3 or d6.

I don't know what a BSI stacked sensor is, but I'll check it up.

But if MP really doesn't matter, why not go with a 3 MP or perhaps 5 MP sensors instead? Never understood that reasoning.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Based on what was known at the time I felt the R3 would be 35-40 mp and 5500 US. IF the 30mp is correct I do think that number comes down. In a sense it is how much more people will pay for 10fps, stacked sensor, and a built in grip. My guess is that is 1000-1500 over an R5 but we will see soon I suppose.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Who would pay m o r e for a sensor that isn't even in pair with the R5? I don't get it.

The R5 sensor isn’t even remotely on par with the R3. If you don’t understand why a stacked BSI sensor is so much more expensive and advanced then go have a wee nose on YouTube. The readout speed alone is night and day. Yes you can get great pictures of birds in flight with the R5, better than just about any camera. But the R3 will have significantly less or no rolling shutter, will keep the refresh on the EVF up to date closer the real time, and it’ll have minimal or zero blackout.

It is disappointing that it isn’t 40-50 like the Z9 and A1. But it is only a little behind those and they are the only cameras you can compare it to sensor wise. The R5 sensor will only hold up in pure IQ from having more pixels, in every other way it falls short.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The R5 sensor isn’t even remotely on par with the R3. If you don’t understand why a stacked BSI sensor is so much more expensive and advanced then go have a wee nose on YouTube. The readout speed alone is night and day. Yes you can get great pictures of birds in flight with the R5, better than just about any camera. But the R3 will have significantly less or no rolling shutter, will keep the refresh on the EVF up to date closer the real time, and it’ll have minimal or zero blackout.

It is disappointing that it isn’t 40-50 like the Z9 and A1. But it is only a little behind those and they are the only cameras you can compare it to sensor wise. The R5 sensor will only hold up in pure IQ from having more pixels, in every other way it falls short.

Ok, but if MP doesn't matter, why don't make it a 3 MP sensor? or even less

Upvote 0
The question is rather: if MP is the only thing that matters, would you buy a camera with a 2000MP sensor that only can take images with an exposure longer than 10 seconds?

I don't have the need and it seems inconvenient. But why the drop in MP? Still don't get it.
Why not a 3 MP sensor instead? Or 1 MP for that matter, if it doesn't matter I mean.

Upvote 0