Here is the Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
The traditional advice for new users to choose between Nikon and Canon: try both, and pick whichever one has things turn in a way that feels right to you.
The good thing about Canon for me is that all the lenses Mount the right way but only the zoom lenses operate the wrong way.

Upvote 0
Size and weight and front filters look amazing....but a few things before I'm ready to swap out my exceptional Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8:

1) Image quality - this thing will need to be outstanding.

2) Flare resistance.

3) How wide is the 14mm?
4) or 1.1) My only concern is vignetting, which affects several recent lenses.
If vignetting disappears at 15-16mm or stopping down to F/8.0, it's an issue only for the inevitable Youtube clickbait.

5) Price in USD and in Eur. We'll see soon.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
With the RF 15-35 f/2.8 IS and the 14-35 f/4 IS, I wonder how Canon will slot in a 14mm prime. I hope Canon goes like sigma with a 14mm f/1.8 rather than like its overpriced EF 14mm f/2.8. And hopefully, it'll be designed for minimal coma.
One solution would be to introduce a 13mm prime (on a Friday)
1f923.svg

Upvote 0

InchMetric

CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
It's clear that ordering the first day (or hour, or minute) is the best way to assure that one get high-demand product in the first batch, usually the first day. Avoids months of waiting for hits like the R5, and the 100-500.

Besides checking in here and elsewhere occasionally, what's the best way to avoid missing out on the announcement of the release, and the oopening up of ordering by retailers? With the R5 there was a live announcement that was the starting gun (and might well have been open for orders prior), but other items might not have a pre-announced announcement time. Any good lists to be on? Frankly, BH ought to have such a thing to tell me the instant it's open for me to buy from them, or in advance.

Upvote 0
are you saying the rf 24-70 f/2.8 vignettes more then the ef 24-70 f/2.8 ii? i thought the rf glass was at least as good as the ef.
Yeah, it does and not only that, the lens correction profiles in lightroom don't completely eliminate it. Great otherwise but it's a bit of a pain if you like shooting wide apertures.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yeah, it does and not only that, the lens correction profiles in lightroom don't completely eliminate it. Great otherwise but it's a bit of a pain if you like shooting wide apertures.
One of the issues is that the amount of vignette depends on the focus distance, which I don't think LR handles. DPP4 does.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

InchMetric

CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
That's great until some poor dumb bastard thinks Canon is right about how to insert and lock lenses but wrong about zoom. Or vice versa. :D
This PDB knows Canon is right, but spent too many decades zooming the other way to quickly unlearn the reflex.

Upvote 0

InchMetric

CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
Never was with Nikon, but the zoom just seems backwards to me. But lenses follow righty-tighty lefty-loosey.

(Yes, that means I too am a PDB.)
When I drive the screw “in” (clockwise) I expect things to be closer. I’m begging anyone for a powerful explanation for the reverse I can use to reprogram my brain.

Upvote 0

jdavidse

R5
CR Pro
Sep 13, 2012
When I drive the screw “in” (clockwise) I expect things to be closer. I’m begging anyone for a powerful explanation for the reverse I can use to reprogram my brain.
The numbers on top of the lens go to small to large left to right, just like the way you read left to right. Forget the screw analogy. Heck, forget thinking about rotation direction at all. Just tell your brain that left side of the barrel is small number and right side is large number. By turning the ring you are just moving across a page.

Upvote 0