Dragonflies and Damselflies

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Especially the first of the compound eye is fantastic.
No stacking, one shot, I suppose. Correct?
Does the EXIF show the magnification level of the MP-E65?
Thanks for the reply in advance.
Yes, a single shot at F/13 on a crop sensor. It took a lot of experimenting with clarity and sharpening to get it to look OK. Running it trough DPP4+DLO and then dragging the texture slider to the max in Lightroom seems to give a better result. The CR2 is the original LR edit, the TIF the new one. And this also shows how different Adobe colour is from Canon colour.

Schermafbeelding 2021-06-25 om 09.54.58.png

The magnification was 2.7x, on APS-C. I'll leave it to other sections of this forum to debate whether APS-C impacts magnification or not :)

$ exiftool 2017/07/IMG_2741.CR2 -MacroMagnification -Dof -focusDistancelower Macro Magnification : 2.7x Depth Of Field : 0.005 m (0.247 - 0.253 m) Focus Distance Lower : 0.25 m

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes, a single shot at F/13 on a crop sensor. It took a lot of experimenting with clarity and sharpening to get it to look OK. Running it trough DPP4+DLO and then dragging the texture slider to the max in Lightroom seems to give a better result. The CR2 is the original LR edit, the TIF the new one. And this also shows how different Adobe colour is from Canon colour.

View attachment 198569

The magnification was 2.7x, on APS-C. I'll leave it to other sections of this forum to debate whether APS-C impacts magnification or not :)

$ exiftool 2017/07/IMG_2741.CR2 -MacroMagnification -Dof -focusDistancelower Macro Magnification : 2.7x Depth Of Field : 0.005 m (0.247 - 0.253 m) Focus Distance Lower : 0.25 m
Wow!

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
This took me back to some older pics where I was working with the 100L macro and the 5D3 and very cooperative darters.
Here my best two closeups of compound eyes, one from a young female, one from a male. I'm sure, I've posted the full pics somewhere else here.
1:1 crop from the 5D3, little sharpening and exposure compensation in DPP, nothing more done.

Female, close to MFD 30 cm, 1/250, f/14, ISO2500, bright natural sun light

compound_01.JPG

Male, a little bit further away. 1/200, f/16, ISO 400. fill flash with 430EX II

compound_02.JPG

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Speaking of close-ups, I have some pictures from 4 years ago:

All from my back yard, it took a few days to stalk the dragonfly that kept visiting to get close enough with the EOS-M+MP-E65+MT24ex. The damselflies are a lot less skittish.

WOW Stunning shots. Beautiful close-ups.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I was worried that the R5 would not be good for DIF because of the reports of its focussing on the background and not birds in the foregound (which hasn’t bothered me much). However, so far it has done well, so I am happy.
Alan I've had some weird fails. One was a Pileated WP that was darting his head in and out behind a stump (peak-a-boo). It refused to focus unless I used spot and then back button animal eye but as soon as the head disappeared and reappeared it was lost again and this head was filling maybe 40% of the viewfinder. It was strangely pathetic compared to my typical acquisitions where I'm generally pleased.

Jack.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan I've had some weird fails. One was a Pileated WP that was darting his head in and out behind a stump (peak-a-boo). It refused to focus unless I used spot and then back button animal eye but as soon as the head disappeared and reappeared it was lost again and this head was filling maybe 40% of the viewfinder. It was strangely pathetic compared to my typical acquisitions where I'm generally pleased.

Jack.
Did it work just using spot? If so, use that and it will be as good as a DSLR. eyeAF doesn't always work, and when it fails I use centre spot.

I used centre spot for this Emperor Dragonfly ovipositing yesterday but the eyeAF tracking for it in flight.
309A8920-DxO_500mm_female_emperor_dragonfly_ovipositing.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I was worried that the R5 would not be good for DIF because of the reports of its focussing on the background and not birds in the foregound (which hasn’t bothered me much). However, so far it has done well, so I am happy.
Most shots it this sequence had the reeds much better in focus than the eye or beak. This shot is OK. During shooting the R5 detected the eye and the focus box never strayed from it. A quick check on the back LCD made it look the birds was in focus, only after putting it on the computer screen the backfocus became clear.

Exiftool reports:
Camera Model NameCanon EOS R5
Lens ModelRF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
Focus Distance Lower33.49 m
Focal Length500.0 mm
Aperture7.1

Schermafbeelding 2021-06-26 om 11.22.16.png

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Most shots it this sequence had the reeds much better in focus than the eye or beak. This shot is OK. During shooting the R5 detected the eye and the focus box never strayed from it. A quick check on the back LCD made it look the birds was in focus, only after putting it on the computer screen the backfocus became clear.

Exiftool reports:
Camera Model NameCanon EOS R5
Lens ModelRF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
Focal Length500.0 mm
Aperture7.1

View attachment 198604
That's off-topic, Jack - Herons and Egrets are allowed here only if they have Dragonflies, like this Little Egret plus Red Darter. I don't know what's going wrong with your gear. I review, by the way, through the viewfinder.

2U4A7403-DxO_little_egret+dragonfly_red_darter.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
First time ever that I saw and caught and anax sitting. I had no choice to avoid the branch/reed in front of it.
Only by jumping in the pond. And that is not allowed and not healthy because those belong to our local wastewater treatment ;)

View attachment 198613
I have very few shots of them perching and mine are nearly all in flight except for the females ovipositing.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Today I was trying on anax DIFs again. Maaaan, that was frustrating :cry:
Never came closer than 6 m. Not even once hovering. I had to pan all the time and you can imagine how small they were in the VF at that distance.
AF wasn't cooperative, too. But I managed to get those at least decent and well backlit. Those are 1:1 crops, so I would say 15 m away.
1/1600, f/8, ISO3200

anax_DIF01.JPG

anax_DIF02.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0