The Canon EOS R5c is coming in Q1 2022 [CR3]

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The camera getting hot while shooting stills is awful.
That said, I'm troubled by the heat of my R5 for still shooting. On a warm day in a mostly shady back yard, I shot 192 still images in 16 minutes, following a 55 minute break after shooting a couple dozen images. That's 12 shots per minute.

It gets hot at the grip area. Uncomfortable enough that rotating to vertical to hold the battery grip is a relief. Enough to make one understand the concept of low-temperature burns. I shot some images with my phone using my Leupold LTO, which does not show absolute temps.
Can you specify what you mean by a "warm" day - I regularly use my R5 in temperatures of 30ºC and I'll typically shoot 500 shots in the space of 3 hours. My grip never gets hot or uncomfortably warm. The back of the camera gets warm, but never uncomfortable, and I've never had any issues shooting stills all day (mostly in short 10 fps bursts).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

frjmacias

EOS R5 and EOS M50
May 14, 2020
Monterey, California
Now that I have these news, I am stuck deciding between buying the C70 when I have a chance, or holding off to pair this one with my current R5. I guess it would largely depend on if the differences between the bodies are only in weather sealing and ergonomics or if there will be minor tweaks. Sense tells me that if the cameras are mostly similar, I should sell my R5 and replace it with the R5c, but having a body dedicated for only stills could also be beneficial.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Their first reaction will be "why pay more for a camera that is just what it should have been from the start ?"... so predictable.
Yeah, but as much as I loathe the trolls, they are right when they say that. The camera should not really have been launched until it could reliably shoot 8K for a decent time without overheating. It doesn't bother me personally, as I use my R5 purely for stills, but I can understand why video people complained.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Yeah, but as much as I loathe the trolls, they are right when they say that. The camera should not really have been launched until it could reliably shoot 8K for a decent time without overheating. It doesn't bother me personally, as I use my R5 purely for stills, but I can understand why video people complained.
Personally, I would not appreciate if the camera I am using were delayed or cancelled because of less than ideal performance in the modes I can easily live without.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Now that I have these news, I am stuck deciding between buying the C70 when I have a chance, or holding off to pair this one with my current R5. I guess it would largely depend on if the differences between the bodies are only in weather sealing and ergonomics or if there will be minor tweaks. Sense tells me that if the cameras are mostly similar, I should sell my R5 and replace it with the R5c, but having a body dedicated for only stills could also be beneficial.
I’m having the same kind of hesitation but with a Sony A1 instead of the C70… But then if I enter an ecosystem I’ll be kind of stuck in it, so maybe I’ll just buy an R5 and then replace it with a r5c… I’m just totally afraid of the overheating issue, as I intend to shoot a lot of long form video in 4KHQ, even with a ninja it seems to overheat

Upvote 0
The number 1 feature this would need for it to be an instant buy as a video centric body is internal NDs, 10 stops. Also high on the list is EVF removal/nerf, doing away with it entirely would be nice like the FX3.

Speaking of the FX3, XLR and SDI ports not in an awkward spot would cement the R5C as an amazing small form factor FF one man band workhorse, especially with the consistency and reliability a professional needs thanks to the fan preventing overheating.

Nice to have/pie in the sky items:

-Timecode (is that really a hard ask?)
-Detachable monitor
-Android OS (its 2021 and the OS's we pay for are stuck in the early 2000s?)
-External 8k 60fps with 1.1 crop :p
-Using this release as a redoubling of efforts to make canon light raw optimized and viable. Investing in a high spec apple machine for pro res raw and relying on partially processed (denoised, debayered)""raw"" from black magic is a terrible state of affairs.

Upvote 0
The number 1 feature this would need for it to be an instant buy as a video centric body is internal NDs, 10 stops. Also high on the list is EVF removal/nerf, doing away with it entirely would be nice like the FX3.

Speaking of the FX3, XLR and SDI ports not in an awkward spot would cement the R5C as an amazing small form factor FF one man band workhorse, especially with the consistency and reliability a professional needs thanks to the fan preventing overheating.

Nice to have/pie in the sky items:

-Timecode (is that really a hard ask?)
-Detachable monitor
-Android OS (its 2021 and the OS's we pay for are stuck in the early 2000s?)
-External 8k 60fps with 1.1 crop :p
-Using this release as a redoubling of efforts to make canon light raw optimized and viable. Investing in a high spec apple machine for pro res raw and relying on partially processed (denoised, debayered)""raw"" from black magic is a terrible state of affairs.
You’ll never get internal ND’s nor timecode and detachable monitor. Canon would kill their cinema line if they did it and they never will. So forget about it or buy a proper cinema camera.

They will simply add a better cooling system/design + full size HDMI and label it R5C, period.

(Wouldn’t even be surprised they’d even lower the sensor resolution to 45MP to 35MP to keep selling the original R5)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The pricing and system differentiation between an R5C and the C70 will be an interesting conundrum for Canon. The R5 is $3,899, the C70 is $5,499. The R5 is FF and 8k, the C70 S35/APS and 4K.

If the R5C has active cooling and no video limits it gets difficult to see how they will price it so as not to kill the C70.

Of course the C70 has built in ND filters which I doubt the R5C would have, it also has mini SDI outputs, good battery options and lots of video centric software, and of course it gets that awesome EF to RF speed booster.

I‘m glad I’m not in the product marketing meetings making these decisions!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
The pricing and system Differentiation between an R5c and the C70 will be n interesting conundrum for Canon. The R5 is $3,899, the C70 is $5,499. The R5 is FF and 8k, the C70 S35/APS and 4K.

If the R5C has active cooling and no video limits it gets difficult to see how they will price it so as not to kill the C70.

Of course the C70 has built in ND filters which I doubt the R5C would have, it also has mini SDI outputs, good battery options and lots of video centric software.

I‘m glad I’m not in the product marketing meetings making these decisions!
C70 will keep internal NDs, XLR inputs, SDI output and better dynamic range over the R5C, hence the price

Upvote 0
You’ll never get internal ND’s nor timecode and detachable monitor. Canon would kill their cinema line if they did it and they never will. So forget about it or buy a proper cinema camera.

they will simply add a better cooling system/design + full size HDMI and label it R5C, period.
Guess I'll wait for less scrupulous competitors to make the ultimate sub 10k FF solo video workhorse then

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020

They will simply add a better cooling system/design + full size HDMI and label it R5C, period.

(Wouldn’t even be surprised they’d even lower the sensor resolution to 45MP to 35MP to keep selling the original R5)
Who says R5c will not be part of the cinema line?
1DC was.

Upvote 0