The Canon EOS R5c is coming in Q1 2022 [CR3]

Mar 6, 2021
The sensor is way different so I cant see that. All it has to do is have the downsampled 4K and no overheating and it will be a great small camera for video. The 4K HQ on the R5 is supposed to be like the best 4K around then add Clog 2, now we are talking. If canon doesnt try to protect clog 2....
R3 sensor is BSI and stacked. So it will have low rolling shutter, potential for better DR, oversampled 4K from 6K+ readout and around 6K RAW.

We know nothing about the "R5C" but there are 3 scenarios:
  1. A R5 internals/sensor with proper cooling it sounds more like a R5 Mk2
  2. A R5 sensor but upgraded with BSI (non-stacked) and better overheating control.
  3. A FF DGO sensor and in the cinema lineup (C90 or something)
I have a feeling clog2 is a canon cinema camera only feature and will be a good indicator of what the R5C actually is.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
R3 sensor is BSI and stacked. So it will have low rolling shutter, potential for better DR, oversampled 4K from 6K+ readout and around 6K RAW.

We know nothing about the "R5C" but there are 3 scenarios:
  1. A R5 internals/sensor with proper cooling it sounds more like a R5 Mk2
  2. A R5 sensor but upgraded with BSI (non-stacked) and better overheating control.
  3. A FF DGO sensor and in the cinema lineup (C90 or something)
I have a feeling clog2 is a canon cinema camera only feature and will be a good indicator of what the R5C actually is.
An R5C is going to have the R5 sensor but a modded body to better suit active cooling and video use, just like the A7C.

The firmware will be interesting to see how much true C line stuff they put in there.

Upvote 0
That said, I'm troubled by the heat of my R5 for still shooting. On a warm day in a mostly shady back yard, I shot 192 still images in 16 minutes, following a 55 minute break after shooting a couple dozen images. That's 12 shots per minute.

It gets hot at the grip area. Uncomfortable enough that rotating to vertical to hold the battery grip is a relief. Enough to make one understand the concept of low-temperature burns. I shot some images with my phone using my Leupold LTO, which does not show absolute temps.

It shows the hot areas rear, with card extended, side, top and front.

The first impression is that the card is the "smoking gun" but it wasn't alarmingly hot more than the rest, and I suspect it just reflects interior temp, not the heat source.

View attachment 198737View attachment 198738View attachment 198739View attachment 198740
Hej
I have had the same promlem with my R5. I was sooting about 300 pictures i 2,5 hours on a concert and suddenly I got a warning om my display, that the came was getting hot. The grib was warm and I turned the camera off and wated perhaps 10 min. I still got the warning.
I tokke RAW on CF-Express and jpg on the SD card.
I have changed that to tage RAW on both.
If that also give problem, I will try on to use the SD card.
I will will look futher into that problem
Steen Aage Nierlsen
Denmark.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Hej
I have had the same promlem with my R5. I was sooting about 300 pictures i 2,5 hours on a concert and suddenly I got a warning om my display, that the came was getting hot. The grib was warm and I turned the camera off and wated perhaps 10 min. I still got the warning.
I tokke RAW on CF-Express and jpg on the SD card.
I have changed that to tage RAW on both.
If that also give problem, I will try on to use the SD card.
I will will look futher into that problem
Steen Aage Nierlsen
Denmark.
The warning is just for video.
It does not overheat during photos.
It just means you would not be able to shoot video in whatever video mode is currently set.
If you switch the video mode then the warning will disappear.

Upvote 0
Shot a wedding last Saturday. Used the R5 and 1dx3. Started around 3 and finished around 9. High temps around 90 and out in the sun. Ended up with over 11,000 photos and not one overheating issue. Both cameras were left on the entire time. Both cameras were warm, but it was in the 90's or high 80's the entire time.
I'm getting the Overheat issue. I shot motocross all week last week and through the weekend. After an hour of shooting I was getting my overheat warning. Does not matter what battery I use, does not matter what lens I use. Temps were 100 all week/weekend. I do have a wrap on my camera. But i've been shooting in these temps all summer and this is the 2nd weekend I've gotten overheat warnings. I have somewhere around 80k pics through this camera since Mid February when I purchased it.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I'm getting the Overheat issue. I shot motocross all week last week and through the weekend. After an hour of shooting I was getting my overheat warning. Does not matter what battery I use, does not matter what lens I use. Temps were 100 all week/weekend. I do have a wrap on my camera. But i've been shooting in these temps all summer and this is the 2nd weekend I've gotten overheat warnings. I have somewhere around 80k pics through this camera since Mid February when I purchased it.
The overheat warning is meaningless if you are only shooting photos.

Upvote 0