The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hello BigDog!
And welcome to canonrumors.
A pair of waxeyes
A New Zealand tui
Both beautiful birds. And nice captures.

I don't know, if you had to use high ISO or if you did some oversharpening in post on those pics.
But the background (bg) and also the birds are really noisy.
I don't want to criticize on first posts, please don't get me wrong. I only want to know the reason.

New Zeland tui
This one is much better on the noise. And really fascinating neck feathers.

Please keep posting. Those are beautiful birds you have over there in NZ.

Upvote 0
Hello BigDog!
And welcome to canonrumors.

Both beautiful birds. And nice captures.

I don't know, if you had to use high ISO or if you did some oversharpening in post on those pics.
But the background (bg) and also the birds are really noisy.
I don't want to criticize on first posts, please don't get me wrong. I only want to know the reason.

This one is much better on the noise. And really fascinating neck feathers.

Please keep posting. Those are beautiful birds you have over there in NZ.
A bit of both. They were taken with an 800mm lens and heavily cropped. I plan to do some better post work on these.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
RF f/11 800mm
You just need some decent noise reduction software, like Topaz for stand alone, or my favourite DeepPRIME in DxO PL4. With it, I go up to 12k iso with the RF 800mm or the 100-500mm +2xTC at f/14. We had one marvellous visit to NZ 3 years ago, but bird photography wasn't easy because your endemics were nearly wiped out by imported rodents and so we went to your special reserves. I got some shots in Zealandia, Waitakere, Waiheke, Tarawhanui, Rangitoto and TiriTiri. Most birds were in the shade and I was using 1/200s at iso 6400 on my 5DSR a lot of the time. Here's my best Wax eye or Silver Eye in Zealandia. i'd love to go again and see the South Island, but it's rather far from England.

silvereye_3Q7A7695_DxO_small.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Wm

7DMKII
Jun 11, 2018
LA
You just need some decent noise reduction software, like Topaz for stand alone, or my favourite DeepPRIME in DxO PL4. With it, I go up to 12k iso with the RF 800mm or the 100-500mm +2xTC at f/14. We had one marvellous visit to NZ 3 years ago, but bird photography wasn't easy because your endemics were nearly wiped out by imported rodents and so we went to your special reserves. I got some shots in Zealandia, Waitakere, Waiheke, Tarawhanui, Rangitoto and TiriTiri. Most birds were in the shade and I was using 1/200s at iso 6400 on my 5DSR a lot of the time. Here's my best Wax eye or Silver Eye in Zealandia. i'd love to go again and see the South Island, but it's rather far from England.

View attachment 198911
Curious - im very much a beginner and have a question on your iso statement..... You used 6400 at 1/200. Why so high iso? I then notice your shutter speed and know there is correlation . Was it dark out? Why not a higher shutter and lower iso?

Tks much

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Curious - im very much a beginner and have a question on your iso statement..... You used 6400 at 1/200. Why so high iso? I then notice your shutter speed and know there is correlation . Was it dark out? Why not a higher shutter and lower iso?

Tks much
Low light needs a low shutter speed to let more light in, and high iso to amplify the low signal. Lots of light means you can use a high shutter speed because a lot of light can get in in a short time and lower iso as less amplification is required (low iso = low amplification, high iso = high amplification). A simple example for you. Suppose the camera tells you need an iso of say 100 for a shutter speed of 1/100s, but you want to shoot at 1/200s. At 1/200s you let in half the light so you have to double the iso to 200 to double the amplification. Suppose you need to shoot a bird flying and you need to shoot at 1/4000s, you would need to use iso 4000 (at the aperture).
It was dark out.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0