RF 100mm Macro L - Anyone's shipped yet?

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I cancelled mine 2 days ago, I have not been using my existing EF 100mm L enough to justify the new one. Maybe later in the year, It will be different. There is a posted image in the forum taken with the lens so someone has one.
I use my EF lens a fair amount, but your message caused me to reflect that I rarely shoot at full magnification. On those occasions, I am using a tripod and set things up carefully. I add extension tubes if I want bigger than 1:1, so even if I had an R-series camera, the new lens would be a waste for me. I’d make some tests at 1.4x and say “cool.”

But like last week when I was shooting blossoms on a tree, with just enough breeze to mess up both composition and focus, and was chasing around bees on the blooms, any more magnification would have made the shots even more difficult.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I use my EF lens a fair amount, but your message caused me to reflect that I rarely shoot at full magnification. On those occasions, I am using a tripod and set things up carefully. I add extension tubes if I want bigger than 1:1, so even if I had an R-series camera, the new lens would be a waste for me. I’d make some tests at 1.4x and say “cool.”

But like last week when I was shooting blossoms on a tree, with just enough breeze to mess up both composition and focus, and was chasing around bees on the blooms, any more magnification would have made the shots even more difficult.
If you're setting up on a tripod then I recommend the Laowa RF 100mm f2.8 2x, which is manual focus, excellent optically, and (in Australia at least) 1/3 of the price of the Canon ...

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
If you're setting up on a tripod then I recommend the Laowa RF 100mm f2.8 2x, which is manual focus, excellent optically, and (in Australia at least) 1/3 of the price of the Canon ...
I already own the Canon, and the Laowa won’t fit my camera, but that might be a good recommendation for somebody.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The EF version has electronic aperture control, which is something I really, really like. The RF version lost that capability :(

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Good to point this out to potential customers. Losing electronic aperture control would be important to me as well.
Yes, I should have mentioned that. I had the EF version briefly, but there was a firmware issue which tricked my EOS R into thinking it was an APSC lens (!) so I got a weird result where the FF sensor was showing up a darkened section around the middle(APSC-sized) image. I've gotten so used to not having aperture control with the RF version I don't really notice it much. The lack of exif data is also a bit annoying. But still excellent overall.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yes, I should have mentioned that. I had the EF version briefly, but there was a firmware issue which tricked my EOS R into thinking it was an APSC lens (!) so I got a weird result where the FF sensor was showing up a darkened section around the middle(APSC-sized) image. I've gotten so used to not having aperture control with the RF version I don't really notice it much. The lack of exif data is also a bit annoying. But still excellent overall.
Laowa says recent batches have that issue fixed, but if I remember correctly from our earlier forum conversations, affected lenses need to get sent in to have their electronics swapped, which is $$$ if the fees aren't waived.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The RF100 has arrived! First impressions: AF is faster, it's slightly sharper at 1:1 and MFD and the IS+IBIS combo is a lot better. Sadly it as the new 'feature' where it slows down AF in movie mode, I need to see if it can still track dragonflies on windy reeds.

All in all I think it's a decent improvement over the previous EF100L, but I'm not sure if it's good value for money. AF and IS for 1:1.4 magnification is worth it for me, YMMV.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
One of my first shots with it.. just a short walk around outside the office. The AF is pretty darn nice, silent and quick.
i-rpNWd9M-X2.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ColorBlindBat

CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
I have one pre-ordered from Adorama with trade credit. It looks like they didn't get their initial allotment either. I keep checking their site (and others) everyday. I had thought when the Canon store was selling them, the dealers would have them in a day or so, but no such luck.
FWIW, I just checked Amazon's site and they had shown an availability date of July 29th.

Amazon has completely removed the item - no idea why.

Upvote 0

Dj 7th

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 22, 2019
I preordered through B&H and it looks like it's backordered, but was supposed to start shipping today. Apparently Canon had them in stock on the official Canon USA site for a little while today.

Anyone who preordered have their charged / shipped yet? If so, where'd you order from?
I ordered from B&H April 14. Order is now processing and I am hoping it ships today.

Upvote 0
Lack of Exif because photo software, like LR etc, is not updated to support it or there is some more enduring issue with this lens specifically?

Upvote 0