The Canon EOS R3 at the Tokyo Olympic Games

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The link I originally posted clearly stated the beach handball team! What faux outrage, you mistakenly thought I said volleyball when you found out it was the handball, give me a break, like that would make any difference even if you were correct.
View attachment 199166

You can be outraged at mens speedo's or anything else, that is your prerogative, it is also their prerogative to wear them, or not. The things they can't wear are high tech full body suits that did give a competitive advantage and were banned in 2010. My only point was that mandating wearing skimpy outfits, for anybody, but especially for men to mandate that women expose themselves for 'sport' is pathetic and unbecoming. Heck even most 'beauty contests' don't have a swimsuit walk now.

If you can't see the difference between requiring swimwear for beach sports, and mandating bare midriffs and measured amounts of thigh exposure only for female competitors I simply don't believe you.
Yeah, beach handball... an even more obscure sport we, as real men, have to protect grown women from. Women agree to compete under the rules. You blame men? Dude, women have all the power here. It is the classic choice: Do I chase fame and throw away my principles? Or do I decide I will stand by my principles and refuse to fund and support the governing bodies? The fact is, I think we make an assumption that ALL women would want a uniform change. Anybody got a poll on how many are satisfied and unsatisfied? Nope.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The link I originally posted clearly stated the beach handball team! What faux outrage, you mistakenly thought I said volleyball when you found out it was the handball, give me a break, like that would make any difference even if you were correct.
View attachment 199166

You can be outraged at mens speedo's or anything else, that is your prerogative, it is also their prerogative to wear them, or not. The things they can't wear are high tech full body suits that did give a competitive advantage and were banned in 2010. My only point was that mandating wearing skimpy outfits, for anybody, but especially for men to mandate that women expose themselves for 'sport' is pathetic and unbecoming. Heck even most 'beauty contests' don't have a swimsuit walk now.

If you can't see the difference between requiring swimwear for beach sports, and mandating bare midriffs and measured amounts of thigh exposure only for female competitors I simply don't believe you.
Those bare midriffs and thighs they choose to wear really gives you the anxiety, doesn't it? Florida (especially that almost 700 miles of sandy beach shore) must be the lower level of hell for you.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yeah, beach handball... an even more obscure sport we, as real men, have to protect grown women from. Women agree to compete under the rules. You blame men? Dude, women have all the power here. It is the classic choice: Do I chase fame and throw away my principles? Or do I decide I will stand by my principles and refuse to fund and support the governing bodies? The fact is, I think we make an assumption that ALL women would want a uniform change. Anybody got a poll on how many are satisfied and unsatisfied? Nope.
You are still not addressing my actual issue. Mandating, forcing. If women want to wear those uniforms all power to them, but I, and it seems a lot of other people here, don't agree that they should have to simply to satisfy your need to feel like "a real man".

I blame men because they are normally the majority on the governing bodies, even in women's sports, I blame men because they are the decision makers in the majority of TV production decisions, I blame men because of Neanderthal like reactions from viewers like you. It simply isn't OK for men to mandate women expose themselves for anything. If women want to play beach volleyball they should be allowed to wear pretty much whatever they want.

The fact that this is even a conversation, let alone a long running one, is disappointing.

Say your wife works at McDonalds, she comes home one day and says the new rules are she has to wear a two piece bikini to work with a minimum of x" of midriff and thigh showing. After you told her to quit you'd probably say to your friends "what the f--- does wearing a bikini have to do with serving burgers?", that shouldn't be controversial.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You are still not addressing my actual issue. Mandating, forcing. If women want to wear those uniforms all power to them, but I, and it seems a lot of other people here, don't agree that they should have to simply to satisfy your need to feel like "a real man".

I blame men because they are normally the majority on the governing bodies, even in women's sports, I blame men because they are the decision makers in the majority of TV production decisions, I blame men because of Neanderthal like reactions from viewers like you. It simply isn't OK for men to mandate women expose themselves for anything. If women want to play beach volleyball they should be allowed to wear pretty much whatever they want.

The fact that this is even a conversation, let alone a long running one, is disappointing.

Say your wife works at McDonalds, she comes home one day and says the new rules are she has to wear a two piece bikini to work with a minimum of x" of midriff and thigh showing. After you told her to quit you'd probably say to your friends "what the f--- does wearing a bikini have to do with serving burgers?", that shouldn't be controversial.
My need? I don't even watch the sport. Are you losing your mind?

Your McD analogy is flawed. As far as I know, the Beach Handball uniform wasn't switched in the middle of some change in employment requirements. As far as I know, the handball team positions are VOLUNTEER! And they know before they volunteer what the uniform is. My gosh! Girls joining gymnastics teams are VOLUNTEER! You got a problem with the volunteer uniform? Then don't volunteer!

My wife as a bikini waitress? That would have been fine for me. Perfectly fine for her too... 40 years ago.

BTW: Twin Peaks and Hooters made plenty of $ on mediocre food... because.... uniform. Has nothing to do with wings or burgers, but it keeps the money coming in. Only in America, right? You Europeans need to get this uniform skimpiness issue sorted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Those bare midriffs and thighs they choose to wear really gives you the anxiety, doesn't it? Florida must be the lower level of hell for you.
Dude, talk about projection! I lived and worked in the Caribbean, Thailand and the South of France long before living in the USA. I have lived the greater part of my life within spiting distance of the ocean. I have worked on nudist beaches and topless beaches, the thing is everybody was there by personal un-compromised choice, nobody I ever met said it was mandated they were exposing themselves so they could play a sport that they were good at.

Indeed where I live in Florida is the furthest I have ever lived from the ocean.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Dude, talk about projection! I lived and worked in the Caribbean, Thailand and the South of France long before living in the USA. I have lived the greater part of my life within spiting distance of the ocean. I have worked on nudist beaches and topless beaches, the thing is everybody was there by personal un-compromised choice, nobody I ever met said it was mandated they were exposing themselves so they could play a sport that they were good at.

Indeed where I live in Florida is the furthest I have ever lived from the ocean.
Guess what? Joining a team is a CHOICE! The Norwegian team was fined for wearing an unauthorised uniform in a volunteer sport under rules agreed to when they signed up. I see the pics you posted of a beach handball team. Don't look extra skimpy to me. Just look like normal bikinis. Just stop it. In my opinion, it is unethical to agree to do something, only throw a hissy fit during international competition. Especially when the issue is already being addressed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Just to further derail this thread.

The ancient Olympics might have been conducted in the nude, but there were no women allowed.

It was also common for ancient Greek men to have sex with pubescent and adolescent boys.

So, I'm not sure if they are exactly a model to be held up as examples.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
You may not remember the guy a few weeks back talking about astrology lenses and astrology cameras. So, you missed again. Signature Satire
If by “missed again“ you mean I asked a question because I didn’t understand, you’d be right. If you think I was doing anything other than asking a question you’d be wrong, yet again.

Will either stop me asking questions? Nope...

P.S. But if I can remember you said you had a granddaughter (which you seem to have forgotten) from 5 years ago I think it’s safe to assume I didn’t see the thread you are talking about a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Looking through images of photographers, it's obvious there are *lots* of R3 at the Olympics. Still crazy to me that this camera may be many months away!

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 1.26.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 1.26.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 1.26.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 1.26.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 1.26.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 1.26.01 AM.png

Image sources: https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...0-olympic-news-photo/1330475256?adppopup=true

• Love
  • Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Looking through images of photographers, it's obvious there are *lots* of R3 at the Olympics. Still crazy to me that this camera may be many months away!

View attachment 199178

View attachment 199179
View attachment 199180

View attachment 199181

View attachment 199182

View attachment 199183

Image sources: https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...0-olympic-news-photo/1330475256?adppopup=true
I find it interesting how many ‘dinosaur’ 1DX II’s and III’s there are given the abilities of the R5 and apparent availability of R3’s.

Upvote 0
Ah yes, this a thread about the great injustices of our time, I see.

Manufacturers adjusting their prices to match the varying demand over time, not being told the megapixels of a camera months before launch and being treated differently based your gender.

We poor camera geeks have to suffer through so much.

/sarcasm

The price might also reflect that it is becoming cheaper to manufacture the device. Parts might be cheaper, fewer duds, etc.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
P.S. But if I can remember you said you had a granddaughter (which you seem to have forgotten) from 5 years ago I think it’s safe to assume I didn’t see the thread you are talking about a few weeks ago.
My granddaughter is dead, as of 4 years ago. The post about my 8 year old granddaughter was from 2016, oaf. People's family structures change over time. No, I have not forgotten her, as you want to suggest. I don't talk about her in the present tense because she is no longer present. In fact, I'd rather not talk about that at all.

So much crap going on in the world, and an old white guy wants to complain that a team was fined for breaking uniform rules. Not because they didn't show enough skin, but because they violated a contractual agreement signed by adults of their own free will. The result would have been the same if they had shown more skin (played nude). They'd have been fined for that too... or disqualified. They were not fined for not showing enough, as you like to frame it. Not a misogynistic conspiracy.

Don't like the contract? DON"T SIGN IT. One cannot agree to a contract to get the "benefits" and then decide midstream to pick and choose which parts to honor. Not one dang one of you professionals would still have a business if that were allowed. Make no mistake about it, the Olympics are a business. It has not been all amatuer for 50 years.

Edit: The Norwegian Team wasn't at the Olympics. The sport is not in these games. The team was fined for not wearing the agreed to uniform at a match five days before the start of the Olympics at the European Beach Handball Championship in Spain. Not an Olympics issue. Not an R3 issue.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
  • Sad
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I see this response frequently, and I'm curious if you've actually used this solution and found it functional?
I have done that with my G cameras when traveling. But on a long day of sightseeing, I don’t want to be using up the battery charge on both camera and phone all the time. So instead what I do is take a shot or two with the phone. The time and GPS stamps on those shots can be compared with the time stamps on the camera shots if I want to nail down a location. I do need to remember to set the clock in the camera. And even if I don’t change to the right time zone, I can go by the GMT in the metadata.

I decided to make prints from my Hawaii pictures to frame and hang in the guest room. I went through the shots I had posted on the web to choose what to print. I could not find the original Raw file for one of them. I discovered that it was one of my location shots of a beach on Kauai made with my iPhone 6S.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
The price might also reflect that it is becoming cheaper to manufacture the device. Parts might be cheaper, fewer duds, etc.
After you have paid off development cost, manufacturing should be cheaper anyway.

I bought the 6D2 right after it came out. I first came to this site to follow the rumors as to when it would be available. I was considering getting an 80D instead, but I stuck out the long wait. I paid full list price, of course, and got no price break on the non-L kit lens. (I wound up liking that lens much more than I had expected to, and use it most of the time.) And now they are selling the 6D2 for much less than I paid for it. I could have waited I guess, but it would have made no sense to do without the camera for the last four years. It has worked well for me.

Upvote 0