Canon RF 14-35 f/4L just reviewed by TDP

Apr 25, 2011
In the sense that it is possible to take an optical formula and change it so it would, say, have more distortion?
Less distortion.

For the cost of weight, price, corner resolution and vignetting.

Basically, the manufacturer does "analog" correction inside the lens instead of "digital" correction in camera or computer.

The RF 14-35mm f/4L is $600, or >50%, more expensive than the EF 16-35mm f/4L. Making it slightly smaller & lighter (78 grams, like three packs of cigarettes) doesn't sound like good news for Canon's bottom line.
First of all, it's the RF 14-, not RF 16-. Second, it has the MFD of 20 cm. Third, it has fast video-friendly autofocus...

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I really like EF 16-35 f/4 for travel shots, but now it just stays home. The RF24-105, RF100-500 and a TC are the only lenses I take with me.
When traveling light when going to an unknown photo shoot where all I know is I will be photographing people, I have been pleasantly surprised at how capable the Rf 24-105 L is, as well as the quality of the photos it produces. I consider it my biggest RF bargain to date.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
When traveling light when going to an unknown photo shoot where all I know is I will be photographing people, I have been pleasantly surprised at how capable the Rf 24-105 is, as well as the quality of the photos it produces. I consider it my biggest RF bargain to date.
RF24-105L or non-L? The people using the non-L and post to forums like this seem to like it.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Less distortion.

For the cost of weight, price, corner resolution and vignetting.

Basically, the manufacturer does "analog" correction inside the lens instead of "digital" correction in camera or computer.

First of all, it's the RF 14-, not RF 16-. Second, it has the MFD of 20 cm. Third, it has fast video-friendly autofocus...
I pre-ordered the Rf 14-35, in spite of more than a few neg comments about the lens, including its price. I like to form my own opinions about any given lens. Once I receive it, I'll put it through its paces and draw my own conclusions. While I'm hoping I like it, if I see it doesn't work for me, I'll sell it and move on to something else. While I use to wait for early adopter reviews before purchasing new gear, at 76 I don't have the luxury of watching those hands on reviews for a yr or more, reluctant to make a decision while waiting for overwhelmingly positive reports on same. Now, I'll just be my own early adopter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0